TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > AMC 6 Cylinder Engine Repair and Modifications
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

What do you think of my chromed out 232?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123
Author
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 68_Javy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/20/2010 at 10:04pm
I will agree with you that this filter will probably not allow enough air, but i just don't believe how the stock air filter was any good?
Dan B.
1968 AMC Javelin 232 3 speed
Peter Marano View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Peter Marano Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/20/2010 at 10:06pm
It is easier for the air to pass through the hole in the air cleaner than it is for the air to pass through the paper filter media.
68_Javy View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 68_Javy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/20/2010 at 10:14pm
ahh thats it, thanks peter, that makes so much sense now, i feel like a complete idiotHammer Head, i apologize for wasting your guys time, i feel real bad....Smack
Dan B.
68_Javy View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 68_Javy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/20/2010 at 10:16pm
Originally posted by TinMan TinMan wrote:

I was really expecting a chrome valve cover from the title xD
I had that same air cleaner setup, it was a pain to keep it clean, the filter gets dirty really fast...but maybe that was due to driving 50-100 miles a day with a lot of construction, dirt roads, and gravel roads. You can always buy an air cleaner adapter for a bigger filter setup, I know it's hard to find ones that fit the 1bbl carb.
Don't forget to install a PCV, without it those filters will probably end up oil soaked.

Hey tinman did your engine seem to suffer with this filter add-on, did your mileage drop?
Dan B.
TinMan View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TinMan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/20/2010 at 10:43pm
If anything it woke it up over the stock setup, but that's in a Scout. The stock air cleaner's snout was pointed at the back of one of the headlight assemblies...one thing that's for sure on the Scout II is that putting a 258 in it was an after thought! It ran great while it was clean, but that didn't last long.
Millage definitely dropped, but that's because I put my foot down on the loud pedal a lot more Tongue
tomj View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tomj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/20/2010 at 10:44pm
Originally posted by 68_Javy 68_Javy wrote:

I will agree with you that this filter will probably not allow enough air, but i just don't believe how the stock air filter was any good?

With a 1-bbl carb and skinny long exhaust and below 3000, 4000 rpm, the factory air filter is not a restriction or limiting performance in any way. Replace them when they're dirty and you'll be fine.

K&N type elements inside the factory airbox would be a good compromise. Open elements are NOISY too, the loudest thing in my 1970 Hornet with a 258 was easily the open element air cleaner atop the Weber carb, no contest.

A cheap hop-up would be a 1981-up aluminum intake manifold and matching exhaust, a fat tail pipe (2.25" or better) with fewer bends and a "turbo" muffler, and a decent carb in excellent condition, a Motorcraf 2100 series or if you can afford it, the Weber 32/36 DGEV "Jeep" kit (around $400). Probably good for 10 hp and same or better mileage and it will all bolt on.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123
  Share Topic