TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Lounge Area > Member Projects
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

SC/Rambler Restoration #8 Chronicle.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 10>
Author
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote amx39068 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/16/2010 at 8:52pm
Originally posted by Blue Stinger Blue Stinger wrote:

I was reading the Hemmings.com blog the other day and there was a post dated June 7th about a bunch of restorable and parts cars in Woodstock, CT.  Two cars that looked very restorable were an SC/Rambler and a Rebel Machine.  Woodstock, CT is not exactly around the corner from Phoenix but it might be worth looking in to especially if it means saving these two cars.
Mark,

I believe that is Wooten's Red Line Classic cars.  He grabs all the SC/Ramblers and unusual AMCs he can get and turns them over for a tidy profit.  I am headed to Hartford Sunday night for a meeting with one of the big insurance companies so maybe I can see if there is time to check it out and see if it who I think it is.

I am looking for a Machine chassis with a factory 4 speed setup so if anyone knows of one in decent shape I would be interested in hearing about it.
Dan Curtis-Owner and CEO AZ AMC Restorations; Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/amcmusclecars/ & Curtis Real Estate Development
pauly33 View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pauly33 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/17/2010 at 1:25am
Far out! Are you keeping it after restoration or thinking of selling it?

73 Javelin AMX 401 4 Spd
82 Jeep Wagoneer Limited
amx39068 View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote amx39068 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/17/2010 at 1:43am

I have another one underway as well so at least one of them will be for sale for sure.

I also have the Johnny Lightning B scheme referenced a few posts back which might be for sale if either of the two restorations turn out to be too good to let go and I have one more crossram so I could possibly use it on either of the A schemes and sell the other one as a stocker and also sell the JL B scheme.  I only need and want one of these cars and will possibly keep the "Machine"/Rebel convertible I am putting together.

Edited by amx39068 - Jun/19/2010 at 8:10am
Dan Curtis-Owner and CEO AZ AMC Restorations; Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/amcmusclecars/ & Curtis Real Estate Development
SEdmonds View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SEdmonds Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/17/2010 at 10:10am
Glad to see you're staying busy down there - and out of trouble.
So...which of these beauties are you thinking of bringing to Flag in Sept????

amx39068 View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote amx39068 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/17/2010 at 11:50am
Well I am keeping very busy but me staying out of trouble?  I don't think that is possible any more since the hounds started nipping at me heels and I decided to stop and turn around to kick them in the head.

I hope to bring the Johnny Lighting car and the Breedlove tribute up to your show.  Are you going to Mike Moonie's Blue Moon Saloon event in October in Sedona?  I may only be able to do one or the other depending on work schedules.  That is usually my time for a trip abroad.
SEdmonds View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SEdmonds Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/18/2010 at 3:07pm
Not sure what October will bring.  It's possible the Rambler will be running, but at this rate, I doubt if it will be painted.  We are juggling a number of things right now.  Our engine guy is backed up and is losing his shop help, so that slows down the mechanical end of things.  He doesn't have room to store the car, so we'll trailer it to him, get the engine/tran put in, bring it home so we can finish the wiring, install the radiator, AC condensor, etc., then take it back so he can do his engine things, then bring it back to paint it.  The seats are at the upholsterers, we are installion ourselves, and if we don't get it painted this summer, it will be too cold to do it ourselves...so....

I don't know if I'll be in Sedona in October. (Long way around a short anwser).
amx39068 View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote amx39068 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/01/2010 at 1:16pm

We started the tear down on SC/Rambler #8

Parts removal before the engine comes out...note the incorrect fan which you can get away with in the cool San Diego climate where the car came from.  Thansk goodness I have a mountain of spare parts!

Pulled out the incorrect 290.

Scary stuff

40+ years of dust and crud

One of the grundgy and greasiest engine bays I have seen on these cars.

The center tunnel had been cut out to allow space for the scatter shield and attached with what looked like fricken hinges and tack weld but you could still see light along where it was initially cut!  That definitely needs to be fixed properly. Note the original e-brake handle is still in tact. That is a rarity as well due to the offset angle of the pull handle putting too much stain on the plastic causing it to break it off.

Edited by amx39068 - Feb/19/2011 at 9:29am
amx39068 View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote amx39068 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/10/2010 at 7:20pm

Took quite a few more pictures of SC/Rambler restoration #8 today to capture the "before" state of the car's body just before heading over to the metal guy.  Overall a pretty darn good and solid car. 

You can see that there was a litte rust or ding repair on the passenger's side of the trunk and end of the quarter.  One of my prior SC/Rambler restorations had issues in the exact same area so I guess the drain hole in the lip of the trunk didn't drain very well.

Here's a former patch panel that was done reasonably well but not well enough to keep so it will be replaced.

This area is wherer they all rot out and is where the rear window support brace was welded to the inside of the rear quarter from the factory.  Apparantly AMC neglected to treat the metal after they welded the two parts together and because it is right below the window fuzzies water would get on the untreated metal and eventually rot the quarter panel on both sides.

Other than a couple of dimples that you can't actually see in this pictures, the passenger's front fender is in excellent and never been damaged condition.

Although the front structure and engine bay look like heck, they are in otherwise exceptional and straigh (and again never been hit) condition.

excellent panel alignment on the driver's side.

Just starting to rot where the rear winow support brace is connected to the quarter on both sides.  They all rotted here and 8 our of 8 restoration have required repairs.

Incorrect repair work to the driver's side trunk will be fixed and aligned properly.  Right now the deck lid sticks out too far beyond the edge of the quarter.

exceptionally nice floors and rockers.  You hardly ever find one of these cars in original condition like this one was with good floors and rockers.  99% of these carss rotted on the lower left front corner of the drivers floor pan right below the windshield squirter foot pump leading me to believe that they must have leaked.  Also the inner rockers are almost alway bad particularly in damp climate regions.

another view of the center hump cluster @#$%

Edited by amx39068 - Feb/19/2011 at 9:30am
amcrules00 View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote amcrules00 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/10/2010 at 7:55pm
Awesome beforehand documentation Dan, usually an afterthougt for most. Approve Usually it's the part that is missed the most...after the fact.
amx39068 View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote amx39068 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/10/2010 at 11:08pm
Someone else is going to own at least one, if not both, of those SC/Ramblers as I only need and want one of them and I already have the B scheme with the A Scheme decals layout as my personal car so it's always best to fully document everything from the start. Obviously a car that is solid to start off with will be far more interesting to a potential buyer than a former rust bucket so before and after pictures are always good.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 10>
  Share Topic