TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Lounge Area > Member Projects
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

SC/Rambler Restoration #8 Chronicle.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 10>
Author
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote amx39068 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: SC/Rambler Restoration #8 Chronicle.
    Posted: Jun/15/2010 at 11:50pm

Thought I would start chronicling the latest SC/Rambler (#8) restoration project.  We picked up this car over the weekend of June 12/13 from Tim Klinefelter in San Diego who is a really good guy with a treasure trove of AMC parts and knowledge.  Although the car curently has a 290 2bbl engine Tim was able to pull together the numbers matching 390 setup that ensured this SC/Rambler will be bone stock original drivetrain like all the other SC/Ramblers I have restored. 

About as geeky looking as you can get.  Heading out from San Diego on the morning after loading the car the night before.

This car may be the best yet due to only having a very minor amount of rust, perfect rockers, floors and frame rails and amazingly good intior panel parts. Heck, it even came with its original and correct tach that works! 

The reason for its exceptional condiition is that it lived its entire life in the San Diego area and was litterally stuck in a storage garage for around 20 years since the late 80s or early 90s. Looking foward to start the tear down on this upcoming weekend.  We will get to work on it good and hard while the humpster is off getting its minor metal repair work done.

Original door tag

minor rear bumper pushed in area somewhere in its earlier years

typical mouse motel

The real deal original decals from the factory and before the windshield molding was installed.

amazingly good decals for a 40+ year old car

pretty nasty trunk floor that obviously had some trunk seal leakage over the years

great headliner

Edited by amx39068 - Jun/13/2011 at 6:42pm
Dan Curtis-Owner and CEO AZ AMC Restorations; Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/amcmusclecars/ & Curtis Real Estate Development
ramblinrev View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ramblinrev Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/16/2010 at 9:15am
Sweet! My AMX shares a barn in the winter with a SC/Rambler that's been stored for probably 20 years and in need of restoration. I've tried to track down the owner, but haven't got enough to go on yet. 
74 Hornet Hatchback X twins (since 1977)
62 American Convertible (still worth the $50 I spent in 1973!) AMCRC #513, AMO #384
70 AMX 360 4-speed (since 1981)
amx39068 View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote amx39068 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/16/2010 at 10:03am

Ramblinrev,

If you can PM, me the VIN . I have contacts that can help track down the owner. 

I hate to see these great cars sit for years resulting in their deterioration like the one I just picked up this weekend.

Edited by amx39068 - Jun/16/2010 at 10:03am
Dan Curtis-Owner and CEO AZ AMC Restorations; Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/amcmusclecars/ & Curtis Real Estate Development
steeters View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote steeters Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/16/2010 at 12:30pm
Looks like a nice car Dan.  If it was in maybe 20% better condition I'd be tempted to encourage someone to just get it mechanically sorted and let it be.  But, it probably needs some correcting so that it doesn't get itself in more trouble.  But of course, it's not my car :) so I'll just enjoy following along.
Do you already have a buyer?

Steve
amx39068 View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote amx39068 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/16/2010 at 12:39pm
Originally posted by steeters steeters wrote:

Looks like a nice car Dan.  If it was in maybe 20% better condition I'd be tempted to encourage someone to just get it mechanically sorted and let it be.  But, it probably needs some correcting so that it doesn't get itself in more trouble.  But of course, it's not my car :) so I'll just enjoy following along.
Do you already have a buyer?

Steve

Steve,
I don't usually have a buyer until the cars are well underway and these latest two are so nice to start with that I wouldn't mind keeping either when the time comes.  I am also planning to pull the engine on the Johnny Lightning SC/Rambler and refinish the engine bay before putting the engine Forest is building into it so I can go kick some serious butt and have some fun. 

The fun aside benefit is that I will aslo in the process shut up the racing crowd peanut gallery once and for all.  I do still want to do a chassis dyno pull on the Johnny Lighting car before I pull the engine so I can see what the mildly upgraded 390 puts down for power before putting in the killer engine.

I expect both of these latest SC/Rambler restorations to be every bit as good as anything I have done to date or even a tad better based on the excellent condition of the bodies from where we started...fun stuff!

BTW, I am pretty sure I was in your neighborhood last Friday evening when I got lost looking for a hotel to stay.  We endeup up staying in the rathole Motel 6 right next to the I-5 freeway halfway between UC Davis and Scramento but before we backtracked to the hotel we ended up in a neighborhood that looked very much like yours!

Edited by amx39068 - Feb/19/2011 at 8:47am
TorqueyAMX View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TorqueyAMX Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/16/2010 at 5:39pm
Originally posted by amx39068 amx39068 wrote:

The fun aside benefit is that I will aslo in the process shut up the racing crowd peanut gallery once and for all.  I do still want to do a chassis dyno pull on the Johnny Lighting car before I pull the engine so I can see what the mildly upgraded 390 puts down for power before putting in the killer engine.

Chassis Dyno??? Chassis Dyno???  What's a Chassis Dyno?LOL

Tell me it's true!

"Peanuts Here! Get yer Peanuts Here"! "Bag 'O Nuts Here"!LOL
amx39068 View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote amx39068 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/16/2010 at 8:09pm
Originally posted by TorqueyAMX TorqueyAMX wrote:

Chassis Dyno??? Chassis Dyno???  What's a Chassis Dyno?LOL

Tell me it's true!

"Peanuts Here! Get yer Peanuts Here"! "Bag 'O Nuts Here"!LOL

Yep, almost there.  I am not home much these days and we have all these new projects getting underway so there isn't much time available to work on my own cars as evidenced by my dark green 68 AMX just only having been started for the first time two weekends ago but not touched since. 

This working for living thing really takes time away from my hobbies!UnhappyUnhappyUnhappy
raysinvegas View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote raysinvegas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/16/2010 at 8:30pm
Hey Dan, I noticed that the sunvisors on this SC are white. My understanding is that they were charcoal. Whats your experience? Confused
Andy Ray
64 440H
64 440 Convertible
68 Javelin SST 343
69 Javelin SST 343
69 SC/Rambler
Blue Stinger View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Blue Stinger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/16/2010 at 8:41pm
I was reading the Hemmings.com blog the other day and there was a post dated June 7th about a bunch of restorable and parts cars in Woodstock, CT.  Two cars that looked very restorable were an SC/Rambler and a Rebel Machine.  Woodstock, CT is not exactly around the corner from Phoenix but it might be worth looking in to especially if it means saving these two cars.
Mark Ogulnick
Boulder City, NV
'71 Hornet SC 360
amx39068 View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote amx39068 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/16/2010 at 8:49pm
Originally posted by raysinvegas raysinvegas wrote:

Hey Dan, I noticed that the sunvisors on this SC are white. My understanding is that they were charcoal. Whats your experience? Confused

Andy,
All the SC/Ramblers use white sun visors against the white headliner.  I suspect they'd look out of place if they were charcoal.  On the other hand, all the trim metal around both the front and back windshields are charcoal which blends very well with the windshield gaskets.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 10>
  Share Topic