TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Lounge Area > Member Projects
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

SC/Rambler Restoration #8 Chronicle.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 10>
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
amcgilly View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote amcgilly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: SC/Rambler Restoration #8 Chronicle.
    Posted: Mar/04/2012 at 3:38pm
Can't wait to see some new pics on this resto. Keep up the great work.
amx39068 View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote amx39068 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/26/2012 at 8:42pm
Been awhile since an update on this car. We have been doing lots of finishing touches on the paint and interior painted parts plus reassembling interior things like the windows but only as filler in between other restorations that have a more pressing timeline.

Will get some new pictures over the next week or two when the interior is done and installed and when the new Phoenix Graphics B Scheme decals are put on the car.

The engine and tranny are done as are the rear suspension, brake and fuel lines but have not intalled the new front end parts yet like ball joints or tie rod ends and still need to correctly refinish the front fender to body seals.   

The exterior paint has been wet sanded, cut and buffing is nearly completed. Upholstery is all redone and the engine is built with modified TRW forged flat tops for a stock 16cc dish including the remainder of the original flat top valve reliefs to retain a "flat top" style quench. The rotating assembly is fully balanced and the heads are port matched. Will most likely be using a NOS Crane "306" cam which will give it that great old school sound and lots extra power up to 6500 RMP.

Intake will most likely be an R4B or AirGap and the carb will be a new Holley 750 DP. For street engines, I mostly use the easy and straight forward Mallory Unilite self contained dizzy and will probably do the same with this car. Will also probably do set of headers over log manifolds if the square port headers are still available (haven't bought a set in nearly two years so not sure on that one).

Still need to finish off the underside paint to be the way I like it with body color paint up to the bottom of the frame rails with chassis black in between the rails on the center tunnel.

Should be a really nice car when done over the next couple of months.

Edited by amx39068 - Feb/26/2012 at 8:43pm
Dan Curtis-Owner and CEO AZ AMC Restorations; Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/amcmusclecars/ & Curtis Real Estate Development
17tamx View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 17tamx Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/26/2012 at 8:02pm
Wow, five months hibernating over winter and it just now sprouted wings.

Time for some more pictures of Number 8.
Kirk P. Fletcher
70 AMX BBG w/Shadow 390 4sp
71 SC360 Wild Plum Ram Air 4sp
67 Rogue Convert 343 4sp
66 Rogue Hardtop 290 Auto
66 440 Convert 232 Auto
Wildfire View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wildfire Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/26/2012 at 6:43pm
Speechless
amxdreamer View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote amxdreamer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/05/2011 at 4:55pm
Well it was a long response...then again we all expect that from Dan! LOL

Tony
Vancouver, BC
1970 AMX
1972 Badassador
AMO#10333
68BlazerBlue View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 68BlazerBlue Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/05/2011 at 4:29pm

WOW!!

Edited by 68BlazerBlue - Oct/06/2011 at 6:53am
1968 Blazer Blue AMX, 390,4-spd. 1971 Javelin SST 360 Auto
17tamx View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 17tamx Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/05/2011 at 3:28pm

This was an e-mail Dan Curtis sent to me today.

Details moved to the thread about Dan's shop. 2/29/12 5:54 pm AZ time.

Edited by 17tamx - Feb/29/2012 at 6:53pm
Kirk P. Fletcher
70 AMX BBG w/Shadow 390 4sp
71 SC360 Wild Plum Ram Air 4sp
67 Rogue Convert 343 4sp
66 Rogue Hardtop 290 Auto
66 440 Convert 232 Auto
67RogueX-Code View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 67RogueX-Code Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/05/2011 at 12:03pm
...you keep repeating yourself...  we get your point, time to move on.
Bob Wilcox

67RogueX-Code
billd View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Forum Administrator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote billd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/05/2011 at 12:02pm
Mine is most definitely in the "used car" class. Not even a "restoration".

Thanks, kirkwood - stuff happens when I try to do too much at once.
I know Steve was very specific (and very correct) and I dind't want us falling into "undercoating vs sound deadener" debate when the answers are already there, and even documented by AMC themselves. Maybe it wasn't going to - but my eyes saw us on the edge.

For repaints - not going to comment on that car, or AMCs, or whatever, but in OTHER industries, things did happen if the inspector rejected something - my father having been a chief inspector for a number of years in a factory. What's that got to do with this? Probably nothing, but hey, it's my lunch break.
amxdreamer View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote amxdreamer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/05/2011 at 11:58am
I can't imagine a car going back through the line, I'm not saying it didn't happen as I wasn't there, I just have a hard time imagining it. Maybe it went to a bodyshop after delivery due to repairs?

I'm not arguing about how or where it was applied, just that when someone states that the cars are done "right" and are fully restored to a very high standard and they clearly show incorrect things or not quite top end work it lowers the bar for what people expect as being correct. One of the reasons the top cars from other manufacturers are worth as much as they are is the restorations are taken to the next level (in this case a few levels above). If the owner of a $350,000 Shelby or a $2,000,000 Hemi car looked at this SC do you really think he would pay big money to get it into his collection? Not likely, when I hear the term "collector quality restorations" it had better be stripped to bare steel and every part restored. If not, in my opinion, all your selling are used cars.

Why do you think the Trans-Am Javelin sold for record money? Sure the name went with it and it's racing pedigree but the restoration was also very good.

Remember, there is a big difference between "collector quality restorations" and used cars.
Tony
Vancouver, BC
1970 AMX
1972 Badassador
AMO#10333
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 10>
  Share Topic