TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > AMC V8 Engine Repair and Modifications
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

Comp Roller Lifters Problem

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 56789>
Author
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 73XBGT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/24/2010 at 7:41pm
Originally posted by SKeown SKeown wrote:

No, actually the real question is why are you jumping through all the hoops for no viable reason? I would be more concerned about ending up with a soft cam. Yes, the saying about "not if but when" applies to everything, but if a lifter did fail and did damage the block, you could then bush that bore. I do admire the relentless pursuit of you're lifter concern.

"If it's a core with copper between the lobes, it's 8620, and it's been carborized.
If you try and re-carborize it, it will warp. You can touch up the lobes, but since the journals are already finished, they'll be junk.
We've tried masking off the journals, but that only worked about half the time.
Nitriding kills the case hardness, and the shell hardness is too thin for using with roller cam spring pressures.
There are a couple options that work, but it's cheaper to buy a new cam."

CamKing

Good luck, SKeown

SKeown,  I talked briefly with Mike Jones (CamKing) today.  He says I should still be ok with the shell hardness.  Still, after re-reading his quote above, I realize there are no guarantees.
SKeown View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SKeown Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/24/2010 at 7:59pm

73XBGT, I never harp on anything that I haven't had personal experience with. I feel that's what the forums are about. Naturally I do post questions and appreciate responses from those that have real life experience on the topic. I've not experienced issues with reground cams, but understand you've already had the base circle reduced by what appears to be .010 and now considering an additional .060". Hopefully it will be fine, but I don't feel it's necessary. That's all.

SKeown
4015spdJavAMX View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 4015spdJavAMX Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/25/2010 at 5:25pm
For what it is worth, here is a picture of my cam mentioned earlier in the thread (0.688/0.711 lift with 1.6 rocker arm ratio, ground by Comp cams): Note that the heel of the lobe is very close to the base circle diameter.

Edited by 4015spdJavAMX - Jun/25/2010 at 5:31pm
1972 Jav-AMX 401 4-speed....T56 next?
1970 AMX 390 auto, now 5-speed
1970 AMX 390 4-speed, stock
forest View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote forest Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/29/2010 at 8:20pm
well guys, got a lifter in my hands that will go .398 on lobe lift before it starts to expose the roller wheel. I will be in contact with Crower tomorrow and will talk about getting one that will go to .420 lobe lift or higher??  What do you guys need? Please post up what kind of lift you are looking to run at the lobe and Ill get it done. The lifters I have here are ready for production if anyone wants a set, if not, I will get a set made that will go higher. With a .398 lift and 1.7:1 Crower rocker you will get .675 lift - the lash of the solid roller setup....
setting guys out by car lengths....
SKeown View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SKeown Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/29/2010 at 9:08pm

What you have discribed (.398) is likely a Mopar lifter that they already had. That doesen't equal what Crane or probably the current Comp lifter's range. If you can persuade them to make the needed alterations to allow at least .750 valve lift using 1.6 rockers, or .470 lobe lift running a std base circle cam. Then they would likely corner the AMC roller lifter market.

SKeown
forest View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote forest Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/29/2010 at 9:32pm
I think a nice even .500 lobe lift is what Ill ask for.. this is simply a lifter that can be easily modified before it is put into production likeit sits now.. They make their own lifter bodies in hous and can cut them however is needed..  will post more after Im done with them on the phone tomorrow.
Hornet_X View Drop Down
AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hornet_X Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/29/2010 at 9:40pm
Yes Forest, the more the better, I have sleeved bores but run .750 lift in my iron block. and imo the bigger the wheel the better as well.
hey if you don't ask??
Thanks
Mike
SKeown View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SKeown Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/29/2010 at 9:57pm

Mike, I'm affraid going to a larger diameter wheel than .750" would be counter productive in terms of what the AMC community is trying to achieve.

SKeown
forest View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote forest Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/30/2010 at 8:52am
Ill probably stick with the wheel they have to make things simple, but I will have this shroud brought down another .100.. Ill be talking to them today about it and letting them know what is needed.
Red Devil View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Red Devil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/30/2010 at 11:44am
Here's a small roller (0.390" lobe) next to a stock cam.  Notice the base circle and nose?  So, does the base circle just get smaller with more lobe lift?  If you have sufficient shrouding for max lift, or the "nose" of the lobe, do you need more shrouding to get more lift, or does it depend on the grind, i.e. do they grind some off the nose for lower lifts?  Confused

If you could use a bigger roller wheel, and have the same or more shrouding as a smaller wheel, seems like it would be the best option. Comp typically has less shrouding than Crane because of the larger wheel, so with clearance for the wheel it cuts more into the shroud area.  Need to have either a small wheel or a close clearance cut for the wheel to get more shrouding.  

Edited by Red Devil - Jun/30/2010 at 12:12pm
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 56789>
  Share Topic