TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > AMC V8 Engine Repair and Modifications
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

Wacky Dizzy Gear???

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 34567 14>
Author
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Forum Administrator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote billd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/15/2010 at 7:47am

OK, on my notebook it looked like the cup was down, now on this one, I see the cup or "open" is up.

OK, so the photo was deceiving on that screen. It looked backwards on that computer.
amcrules00 View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote amcrules00 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/15/2010 at 7:55am
Much to do about nothing, seems it was facing the right way all along. I thought it only went on one way too? I appreciate all the help fellas. Thanks for sharing the great images billd. Wink The big top gear is the one that has the oiling chamfer I need to align with a hole in the cam behind it?

Edited by amcrules00 - May/15/2010 at 7:58am
billd View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Forum Administrator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote billd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/15/2010 at 8:01am
Yes. That's a serious area on these - and a lot of gears over the years either have the placement wrong, or no passage, or there's flashing in there from the casting process that blocks it.
I used a file and Dremel and opened mine up a bit, although it was really ok and would have worked - I just made really sure.
I thought someone somewhere had a pic of that, but maybe it was a different place and time.........
amcrules00 View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote amcrules00 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/15/2010 at 8:03am
OK, thanks again everyone. Thumbs Up
1970amxkelly View Drop Down
AMC Fan
AMC Fan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 1970amxkelly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/16/2010 at 8:59am
what gear do you change it out with , I had this happen on a stock reman distributor, and I am wondering if it is a defect in the gear it self or other problems? any info would be helpfule.  Thanks
poormansMACHINE View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted
Charter Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote poormansMACHINE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/16/2010 at 2:37pm
Offshore gears don't mix and match with OEM. I believe the pitch and hardness are different.
BassBoat View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BassBoat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/16/2010 at 2:44pm

Kelly, once you get wear, you have to change both gears. 

BB

TorqueyAMX View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TorqueyAMX Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/16/2010 at 8:44pm
Simply for reference, I looked at my "Original" engine with 165,000 miles on it sitting on an engine stand. The timing chain is a Factory Double Roller "Police" setup installed at 65,000 miles so it has 100,000 miles on it. I took a shot of the backside so you can see the part where the the oil is fed to the chain. the Cam gear IS the original with 165,000 miles on it.

The Cam Gear with the original Double Roller part no. 3223911
The backside that lines up with the Cam Oil Hole!
The Cam Oil Hole.

billd View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Forum Administrator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote billd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/16/2010 at 10:12pm
Note not just that slot, but the chamfer, and the other passage for the oil to come forward.
If any of that is missing, or that slot is  in the wrong place...........
You can use a Dremel and correct mistakes on new/replacement sprockets.
(160,000 - further proof that factory oiling is fine........... it's when people and replacement parts get involved that things go south...ever see an UNTOUCHED AMC engine do such things?)
TorqueyAMX View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TorqueyAMX Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/17/2010 at 8:50am
Originally posted by billd billd wrote:

Note not just that slot, but the chamfer, and the other passage for the oil to come forward.
If any of that is missing, or that slot is  in the wrong place...........
You can use a Dremel and correct mistakes on new/replacement sprockets.
(160,000 - further proof that factory oiling is fine........... it's when people and replacement parts get involved that things go south...ever see an UNTOUCHED AMC engine do such things?)

That's why I took it apart yesterday to take some pictures!

It's about oiling, and "Oil Changes"!!!! keeping it clean!

As stated this engine has 165,000 miles on it and notice below how clean the lifter valley is. I took the heads off in 1988 at 142,000 looking for a coolant leak that turned out to be the timing cover but the rest of the engine is untouched. It's been sitting on a stand now since 1998. I'm sure I could bolt this thing back together and it would run just like new.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 34567 14>
  Share Topic