TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > AMC V8 Engine Repair and Modifications
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

Wacky Dizzy Gear???

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 14>
Author
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted
Charter Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote purple72Gremlin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/08/2010 at 10:42am
Originally posted by poormansMACHINE poormansMACHINE wrote:

Originally posted by DragRacingSpirit DragRacingSpirit wrote:

If it was mine I would pull it out, pull off the pan and timing cover, clean it out good, inspect cover for oil pump damage, install good used AMC matched gear set if available or new bulltear set.

At a minimum your cover is going to be damaged in the oil pump cavity.

Need to figure out what caused the problem so that it doesn't happen again......if possible.

Yessir.
Better to check now and be sure than don't and be sorry later.
Like PMM says, Better to check now........................
amcrules00 View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote amcrules00 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/08/2010 at 3:42pm
A quick update to prove everyone right...didn't get a chance to do an inspection yesterday... but here's what I discovered today...same wear pattern developing on the factory original dizzy gear I swapped out with the mangled MSD gear yesterday morning. When the unit was pulled from the motor today it seems to be getting a goodly amount of oil to it. I mean it's definitely wet, gotta wipe it down. So I'm kinda stumped at this point as to what the ultimate cause could be...find it hard to believe that a matched set of Bulltear gears will significantly change the current situation going on inside this bomb. I could be wrong but...could I get some more input please everyone?
One half side of the dizzy gear...
and the other. It's been in there for a day and a half so...WTF OVER?
poormansMACHINE View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted
Charter Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote poormansMACHINE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/08/2010 at 3:48pm
If you didn't change the gear on the cam with it, what would you expect?
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote amcrules00 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/08/2010 at 3:52pm

I hear you...going to order up the matched Bulltear set first thing Mon morning and tear it open to inspect everything as outlined here.

Edited by amcrules00 - May/08/2010 at 3:52pm
74Bubblefender View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted
Charter Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 74Bubblefender Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/08/2010 at 4:34pm
LACK OF OIL
We are just about to forge new AMC V8 crankshafts.. please check here
http://www.bulltear.com/forums/showthread.php?19564
billd View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Forum Administrator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote billd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/08/2010 at 4:59pm
Chewed up the drive gear at the same time as the dist gear. It's hard to imagine chewing one so badly and leave the other totally untouched. So, yeah, this makes perfect sense.

While it's apart, check out MC's statement "lack of oil" - make sure the cam sprocket lets oil through. There are some replacements where either there isn't an adequate channel in the sprocket, OR there's flashing from casting blocking it. Do what some do - pull the fuel pump, prime the oil pump after it's together to ensure a lot of oil flowing from the front of the cam.........
Might as well learn from the hard luck, er, eh - experiences of others!
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote amcrules00 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/08/2010 at 5:13pm
Rodger wilco. I'll make the prescribed oiling inspections while I'm in there as well. My trying to half ass it obviously did NOT work...DUH? Would you imagine there is significant bearing damage at this point? All totaled, I'd be suprised if there were more than 10 running hrs on this rebuild since completed. As soon as the motor was back together the car then went straight into the body shop for three years. Pretty much sat untouched most of the time while there. Came out last June and has only been fired up to back in and out of the garage as I put it back together. Was stored unfired through the winter...Nov through March. I've just recently registered it and have only driven the car a handful of times out on the road...to and from my buddy's shop a few times...8 miles each direction. The motor feels really strong. Think I might get lucky?

Edited by amcrules00 - May/08/2010 at 6:48pm
74Bubblefender View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted
Charter Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 74Bubblefender Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/08/2010 at 5:22pm
Minimal damage...BUT definately take the large timng gear off and make sure the oil slot is at 2:00 or 10:00 and lines up the hole in the end of the cam. What i see is that the gear on the OEM set has found a break in point but isnt getting lubed so it keeps desenegrating. IMHO
We are just about to forge new AMC V8 crankshafts.. please check here
http://www.bulltear.com/forums/showthread.php?19564
goose View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote goose Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/09/2010 at 5:39pm
There is an awesome thread on the Bulltear site specifically about this problem with many pics and a lot of knowledge. it would be worth a look, bulltear.com  great group over there as well. 

Suffice it to say I only put matched sets in mine.. now (insert painful learning experience here)
Now how did I end up with 25 5/8" wrenches and 1 9/16"s ??
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote amcrules00 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/14/2010 at 11:20pm
Finally found some time to get the timing cover off after work today. Cam gear definitely had a significant wear pattern but not a bad as the dizzy gear. Found this damaged thrust washer, not sure how tight the seal is supposed to be on the inside of the cover...seems it could be a leaker...not sure if it's significant or not? Do you imagine this seemingly insignificant damage could maybe be a contributing factor causing my dizzy and cam gear wear? Ever seen anything like this before?

Also what do you guys think about this...I was shocked to see the stress fractures to the inside of the cover, cracks can be felt with a finger nail.

Checked a spare I got on hand, looks the same way. Almost identical stress cracks.

I'll be checking all the oiling suggestions to include dropping the pan, doing the external cam gear oil line for some added insurance, and replacing worn gears with a matched Bulltear set that came today. Oil and filter change too...so we shall see how it goes this time. I'll let you know.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 14>
  Share Topic