TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > Transmission & Drivetrain
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

Z Bar bushings question

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FuzzFace2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Z Bar bushings question
    Posted: Apr/22/2010 at 6:49pm

I have a question on the bushings, 70 Javelin 390/T10. When I got the car I was told the clutch was shot but in pulling it apart a few weeks back the disc looks ok but there where no bushings on the motor or frame side ZBar. I ordered the ones in the picture on line along with the boots.

The question what bushing goes where? I think they go the way they are setting.

The black one goes in the strut rod bracket and the ZBar end that is above it goes in to the bushing. The other bushing goes into the motor bracket that you see above the ZBar. And the end of the ZBar that is close goes in the bracket.

Now here is the catch the white bushing does not fit either end of the ZBar but does fit inside the motor bracket. I did pull out and old piece of bushing and it looked the same.

The black bushing will fit only 1 end of the ZBar and it is not the end it is under. The black bushing fits in the strut rod bracket, after I fixed it, and it fits in the motor bracket.

One end of the ZBar looks like it was made, turned and then welded on to the ZBar and it is this end that does not fit the black bushing.

The other end of ZBar fits the black bushing but not the white bushing and as said the white bushing does fit inside the motor bracket.

Also the TSM shows a spring on the ZBar pulling it to the strut rod bracket is this so? Some one put a hose clamp on the ZBar at strut rod end to keep the bar from moving side to side I guess?  I can fix the ZBar strut rod end to fit the black bushing, and spring to pull bar to strut but what do I do for the other end as the ZBar will not fit inside the white bushing.

Thanks for any help you can give.

Dave ----

TSM = Technical Service Manual

75 Gremlin X v8 for sale
70 Javelin 360/auto drag car
70 Javelin 360/T5 Street car
FuzzFace2 View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FuzzFace2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/22/2010 at 6:58pm
I should say I also dont have the motor/trany in the car so I can not try and fit any of this right now in the car but thinking it should fit out of the car :-/
With headers and every thing else it would be a PITA doing all this in car.
Thanks
Dave ----

75 Gremlin X v8 for sale
1970390amx View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 1970390amx Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/22/2010 at 7:11pm
the white bushing should pop onto the end that fits into to bracket that mounts on the bellhousing. the black bushing fits into the hole in the strut rod bracket bolted to the frame. yes there should be two ( i think )springs mounted to the z bar. Your z bar looks to be worn or modified to me. I believe repos are made, you should look for pictures of new ones.  Let me know if you cant find one and I will see about digging mine out of a box and posting pictures. There is also a rubber boot on each end if i remember right.
1970 390 4speed Bittersweet shadow mask AMX
1970 Amx missing most everything, or in a box
FuzzFace2 View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FuzzFace2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/22/2010 at 8:00pm
That is what I thought on the bushings black to the out side, white to the inside. Both bushings do fit where they are suppose to go but that Z bar does not fit the bushings that way Angry
I do have the 2 rubber boots for the ends, bought them when I bought the bushings I just did not put them in the picture.
Wife gave the OK to buy a new Z Bar so I ordered it, $84 to the door. Last week I welded up then filed down one of the ends of the rod that connects to the Z Bar from inside as it wore down to half it's size.
Between that rod, no bushings, and the frame bracket not round I dont see how it worked at all!
Thanks for the help
Dave ----

75 Gremlin X v8 for sale
1970390amx View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 1970390amx Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/22/2010 at 8:33pm
thinking about it driving home, that z bar might be for a 68 amx or javelin. not sure about 69 but I believe 68 is different.
1970 390 4speed Bittersweet shadow mask AMX
1970 Amx missing most everything, or in a box
FuzzFace2 View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FuzzFace2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/22/2010 at 8:50pm
I thought the 68/69 Z bar had cups in the bar and the ball part(s) where on the motor & strut brackets http://amxmgs.com/zencart/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=33_36&products_id=523
Here is the 70 - 74 one
You can find parts for both here. It is where I got the bushings & boots.
Dave ----

75 Gremlin X v8 for sale
71SC360 View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Charter Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 71SC360 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/22/2010 at 9:20pm
 IIRC the early bellcranks had a ball end on the engine side and a ball end with a mushroom cap (not a spring) on the strut rod side. What held the belcrank in position was a small spring clip that snapped onto the mushroom cap after the ball end was installed into the strut rod bracket. It's a PITA to install that spring clip in between the frame and strut rod bracket..
FuzzFace2 View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FuzzFace2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/22/2010 at 9:26pm
I saw that clip on the site above. It looks like the same clips that GM used on window & door handles. When you un-did them they went flying across the shop!
Thanks Joe
Dave ----

75 Gremlin X v8 for sale
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic