TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > Suspension, Steering, Brakes & Wheels
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

232 power steering

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
AMC Fan
AMC Fan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote donzcat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 232 power steering
    Posted: Mar/22/2010 at 12:42pm
Hey guys,
I'm new to this forum and new to AMCs. I just recently purchased a 1973 4-door hornet that is in excellent condition. It has a 232 with manual steering and brakes (all drums). I am looking to convert both over to power. I'm in eastern Canada and these cars and parts are very few. With the research I've done most new or remaned parts are easily found and relatively cheap. The two questions I have are 1) do I need to move the altenator to the pass side inorder to mount the pump and reservoir or does it mount above? 2) Do anyone know where the proper bracket for this setup can be found... does anybody have one? I find it hard even trying to track down a proper picture or diagram of how this suppose to go. Thanks for any help in advance.

Donnie
Wrambler View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wrambler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/22/2010 at 1:17pm
73 will have, least here in the US, the pump mounted on the right side of the engine.
It will be a new style square edged reservoir pump.
You need, the pump and pulley, mounting brackets, a pully to add to the front of the damper, long hoses that run under the front edge of the oilpan, a little bracket that holds them there, a P/S/ box and sill spacer as I think the manual spacer is a different thickness.
   You pretty much need to find someone who has it all! trying to piece it together could be a long painfull process.  I might have a few pieces, but not enough to offer up a changeover setup. I sold off my complete sets a while back.
Wrambler
69 AMC Rambler
4.0L, 5 speed
2015 Grand Cherokee Limited
2019 Chrysler 300
KermitDRambler View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KermitDRambler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/22/2010 at 1:32pm
You also need a new pitman arm and a rag joint from a power steering box. The gear box adapter interchanges from 1964-74 on American, Gremlin, and Hornet models.

Matt
1967 American wagon

http://www.mattsoldcars.com
poormansMACHINE View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted
Charter Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote poormansMACHINE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/22/2010 at 2:11pm
Also check the mounting pattern on pre 80 GM car steering boxes since they're also Saginaw.
Later GM boxes changed the fitting style and would require an adapter fitting from a real auto parts store. 

Edited by poormansMACHINE - Mar/22/2010 at 2:12pm
6768rogues View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 6768rogues Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/22/2010 at 5:33pm
Originally posted by poormansMACHINE poormansMACHINE wrote:

Also check the mounting pattern on pre 80 GM car steering boxes since they're also Saginaw.
Later GM boxes changed the fitting style and would require an adapter fitting from a real auto parts store. 

Is that as opposed to a simulated auto parts store?
Content intended for mature audiences. If you experience nausea or diarrhea, stop reading and seek medical attention.

Located usually near Rochester, NY and sometimes central FL.
poormansMACHINE View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted
Charter Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote poormansMACHINE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/22/2010 at 5:47pm
Originally posted by 6768rogues 6768rogues wrote:

Originally posted by poormansMACHINE poormansMACHINE wrote:

Is that as opposed to a simulated auto parts store?

Yes. Those are the ones that specialize in floor mats and import bling.
A real parts store is a NAPA, Car Quest.
Not Autozone, or Pep Boys
KermitDRambler View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KermitDRambler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/22/2010 at 8:08pm

I had to run off to a meeting earlier when I posted but here is a picture from a parts book that shows how the pump mounts: http://www.mattsoldcars.com/images/ps_pump_parts.jpg. There are two reserviour styles (I think it changed around 70 or 71)  but either one fits in the factory brackets and there is no functional difference. When gathering parts, make sure the pump matches the steering gear. Pressure varied over the years and if you use a high pressure pump with a gear designed for low pressure, you could blow out the oil seals in the gear.

Matt

1967 American wagon

http://www.mattsoldcars.com
donzcat View Drop Down
AMC Fan
AMC Fan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote donzcat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/24/2010 at 11:18am
Hey guys,
Thanks so much for the info... I almost bought a bracket for the driver side mounting. Glad I never. I'm sure there are many ways to rig it up but I want to do it the right way. I'll hold off on that portion of the project until I can locate the proper parts. Finding a donor car around here though will be tough. I'll just focus on the power brakes upgrade for now. Cheers from up north.

D
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic