TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > Suspension, Steering, Brakes & Wheels
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

Help! Calling All Spindles!!

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 2345>
Author
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TorqueyAMX Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/28/2010 at 1:41pm
Originally posted by 70 71 72 AMXs 70 71 72 AMXs wrote:

Not to redirect the subject, but had you considered using any of the late model rotors without the hub attached? When I converted my drum brake Javelin to disc, I removed the drum from the hub and used a Jeep wrangler rotor on it. They even offer this rotor in a drilled and slotted version for that race car look! I had started with the ScareBird disc kit, but did not like the tiny Ford Ranger rotor they used or the shim that was needed to place the Ford rotor on the AMC spindle. My version keeps the stock bearings and grease seal.

The point for this is working to get "Wilwood" to create some killer brakes for AMC's instead of "Boneyarding" a set. I am trying to get details so Wilwood can possibly work with existing off the shelf hubs to keep the costs down and make it beneficial for all partys involved.
TorqueyAMX View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TorqueyAMX Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/28/2010 at 1:43pm
Thanks for the help Red Devil.

It would be nice to see some "Drum" spindles like the photos you have and compare them especially the mounting pad thickness.
FuzzFace2 View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FuzzFace2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/28/2010 at 4:12pm

I am thinking the mounting pads are all the same thickness as I think they all use the same bolts. I do have a set of drum & 4 piston spindles in storage attached to the knuckles along with the rotors/drums still attached. Would take time to dig them out and pull apart for measurements if needed.

See we have 2 of them so far and it will always be the one we need to use is not the one we have! I say when they offer a “kit” and that kit uses 1 of the AMC spindles they should also offer one just in case as this is what the down fall seams to be with any “kit” for AMC.

Once we get measurements from a drum spindle we will then know if any of them might work with a Wilwood hub & hat.

Dave ----
TSM = Technical Service Manual

75 Gremlin X v8 for sale
70 Javelin 360/auto drag car
70 Javelin 360/T5 Street car
prostreetamx View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote prostreetamx Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/28/2010 at 6:50pm
The drum spindle mounting surface is thicker since they don't need the caliper mounting bracket sandwiched between the suspoension and spindle. The McKintire kit has you sending in your drum spindles to have them machined thinner or adding the caliper mounting bracket would increase your front track width.
Richard Payne

Las Vegas,NV

72 5.7 Hemi Javelin

77 Prostreet 401/727 AMX,

[/URL]
Red Devil View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Red Devil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/28/2010 at 7:09pm

Measured a Bendix caliper bracket and it is 0.510" thick.  The disc spindles measured 0.884" to 0.894", so combined thickness is around 1.4"?  Is the drum spindle about that same height?  Are disc spindles hard to find, particularly the larger bearing ones, 'cause that would be my choice.

FuzzFace2 View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FuzzFace2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/28/2010 at 7:14pm
Originally posted by prostreetamx prostreetamx wrote:

The drum spindle mounting surface is thicker since they don't need the caliper mounting bracket sandwiched between the suspoension and spindle. The McKintire kit has you sending in your drum spindles to have them machined thinner or adding the caliper mounting bracket would increase your front track width.
By how much a 1/4" or 1/2" at most on each side? 
Now you got me wondering on them going to see if I can dig them out.
Dave ----
TSM = Technical Service Manual

75 Gremlin X v8 for sale
70 Javelin 360/auto drag car
70 Javelin 360/T5 Street car
TorqueyAMX View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TorqueyAMX Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/28/2010 at 8:15pm
Originally posted by FuzzFace2 FuzzFace2 wrote:

I am thinking the mounting pads are all the same thickness as I think they all use the same bolts. I do have a set of drum & 4 piston spindles in storage attached to the knuckles along with the rotors/drums still attached. Would take time to dig them out and pull apart for measurements if needed.

See we have 2 of them so far and it will always be the one we need to use is not the one we have! I say when they offer a “kit” and that kit uses 1 of the AMC spindles they should also offer one just in case as this is what the down fall seams to be with any “kit” for AMC.

Once we get measurements from a drum spindle we will then know if any of them might work with a Wilwood hub & hat.

Dave ----

I believe the mounting pads between drum and disc brakes are different and maybe thicker on the drum spindles. This is what I'm trying to find out.

So FuzzFace, if you have some drum spindles, measure the "M" distance AND the mounting pad thickness.

Thanks.
prostreetamx View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote prostreetamx Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/28/2010 at 8:49pm
The early drum spindles I have are 1.265" thick while the disc spindle I have is .90" thick. I would think a caliper bracket should be at least 3/8" thick for strength but a better grade of steel could be thinner. I already posted the M dimension on page one for these spindles. I also found a few more loose bearings and I do have a loose KH disc along with a few loose drum hubs that I already removed the drum from.

Edited by prostreetamx - Mar/28/2010 at 8:51pm
Richard Payne

Las Vegas,NV

72 5.7 Hemi Javelin

77 Prostreet 401/727 AMX,

[/URL]
farna View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Moderator Lost Dealership Project

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote farna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/02/2010 at 10:05am
Needafasteramx is correct -- distance "M" is the same depending on the bearing set used. There were two bearing sets -- for all practical purposes "small" (A2/A6) and "large"(A16/A17). ALL AMCs use one of those two bearing sets -- period.

All drum and the 65-70 Bendix discs used the small bearing set. I don't recall about the K-H discs, but the 75-76 (through 78 for Matador) "Big Bendix" 3.1" piston disc brakes used the big bearing set. Oh yeah, 77-78 small cars used the big bearings with the small Bendix 2.6" calipers -- those are odd balls! 79-83 small cars use the small spindle.

There is a difference in the base height of the spindles. Richard has it backwards -- the disc spindles are thicker than drum. Has to do with the offset of the caliper and clearing the steering knuckle, not the addition of the caliper mounting bracket (which would be the logical conclusion!).

There are several base heights used over the years to change the offset of the rotor and track of the front end. Too many minor changes there to document. Part numbers don't help -- sometimes there is just a change of part number for no apparent reason, probably just to streamline the part number system on occasion.

TomJ did some research a while back. Though it's a bit inconclusive, it does provide a general overview. See http://wps.com/AMC/spindles.html
Frank Swygert
6t8amxetc View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 6t8amxetc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/07/2010 at 6:20pm
I sure hope Wilwood's kit is more reasonably priced than this one! That is a bunch of $$$ for a front only kit!

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=160420904019&viewitem=&sspagename=STRK%3AMEWAX%3AIT
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 2345>
  Share Topic