TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > Suspension, Steering, Brakes & Wheels
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

Help! Calling All Spindles!!

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345>
Author
AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nashty401 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/18/2010 at 8:34pm
Originally posted by forest forest wrote:

I have a set of spindles off a concord with the KH brakes I think. I could possibly ship them out to wilwood if Im promised them back....

Correct me if I'm wrong but Concords built from 1978 to '83 were in the "Bendix" brake era although in '79 AMC went back to the smaller wheel bearings from the larger ones from '75 to '78.
forest View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote forest Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/19/2010 at 8:43am
hmmm could be. I do not have a confirmed source for the brakes, just that they are KN brakes, and they supposedly came off a concord...    could have been anything fron a small car being as they fit my hornet well..
setting guys out by car lengths....
purple72Gremlin View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted
Charter Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote purple72Gremlin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/19/2010 at 11:30am
think 1977-81 used the same set up...........but one of the bearings is a differnt size on the 1977-78........
Red Devil View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Red Devil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/19/2010 at 2:33pm

AFAIK, all drum cars, up to 74 discs and 79 up discs used the 1.25", 0.75" bearings.  For sure the '74 KH on my Javelin and the '79 Bendix use the 1.25"/0.75" bearing.  The  75-78 with Bendix calipers use 35 mm (1.378"), 22 mm (0.866") bearings ... but some '78 may be the 1.25", 0.75"?? 

When I put a set of '78 discs on my '73 Hornet with drums, I swapped spindles ... but it was a long time ago, so don't remember for sure if they used different bearings?  I've got another '78 Concord and an '82 Concord, so will have to check.  The '82 uses the GM type caliper with rubber bushings that slides on pins similar to the KH .   Have no idea what the Eagles or large body AMCs use??

Hope this helps, RD.
TorqueyAMX View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TorqueyAMX Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/19/2010 at 2:50pm
Originally posted by Red Devil Red Devil wrote:

AFAIK, all drum cars, up to 74 discs and 79 up discs used the 1.25", 0.75" bearings.  For sure the '74 KH on my Javelin and the '79 Bendix use the 1.25"/0.75" bearing.  The  75-78 with Bendix calipers use 35 mm (1.378"), 22 mm (0.866") bearings ... but some '78 may be the 1.25", 0.75"?? 

When I put a set of '78 discs on my '73 Hornet with drums, I swapped spindles ... but it was a long time ago, so don't remember for sure if they used different bearings?  I've got another '78 Concord and an '82 Concord, so will have to check.  The '82 uses the GM type caliper with rubber bushings that slides on pins similar to the KH .   Have no idea what the Eagles or large body AMCs use??

Hope this helps, RD.

RD you are right and are helping. The Devil is in the detailsWink and I need more details! I'm probably 90% sure this is going to happen with Wilwood kits and we think there are simple cost effective ways around variances in spindles and offsets.

I'm still looking for approximate Distance "M" on a number of spindles I'm less concerned about the pad thickness. There are ways around that.

'67 to '69 AMX's, Javelins and Americans
'75 to '78 larger bearing spindles
'79 on up spindles
Red Devil View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Red Devil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/19/2010 at 4:11pm
Perhaps a measurement from the inner bearing shoulder of the spindle to the inside edge of the hole for the cotter pin would be a good gauge?  Then with thickness of nut, lock and washer you can determine the max spacing?  IIRC, both bearing sets have the same cup OD, so could maybe use a common hub, bearings to suit and use a thicker or thinner washer or shims between nut and washer to adjust for any variance in spindles?   Once the hub is set, the caliper brackets should be straight forward. 

It will be a couple weeks before I get a chance to check the other cars,  but hoping the '78 does have the larger spindle as I'd be more comfortable using it in a sticky-tire performance application ... but that stock car spindle and stock car hub looks like the ticket for serious racing.

Hope this helps, RD.
TorqueyAMX View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TorqueyAMX Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/19/2010 at 5:31pm
Originally posted by Red Devil Red Devil wrote:

Perhaps a measurement from the inner bearing shoulder of the spindle to the inside edge of the hole for the cotter pin would be a good gauge?  Then with thickness of nut, lock and washer you can determine the max spacing?  IIRC, both bearing sets have the same cup OD, so could maybe use a common hub, bearings to suit and use a thicker or thinner washer or shims between nut and washer to adjust for any variance in spindles?   Once the hub is set, the caliper brackets should be straight forward. 

It will be a couple weeks before I get a chance to check the other cars,  but hoping the '78 does have the larger spindle as I'd be more comfortable using it in a sticky-tire performance application ... but that stock car spindle and stock car hub looks like the ticket for serious racing.

Hope this helps, RD.

In my research, I may have found a couple of off the shelf Wilwood hubs that MAY work for the larger bearing spindles. Time will tell. Sooner if I get measurements!
prostreetamx View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote prostreetamx Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/19/2010 at 6:34pm
I assumed my larger bearing spindle was for a KH disc since I haven't had any other donars available for many years. It's definatly a disc spindle due to it's thinner mounting flange, but I have made several trailers over the years with AMC spindles and drum hubs, so one might have gotten mixed up. I don't ever recall pulling one off a later disc car. My Javelin has KH brakes and my 77 has a different style totally but I have never measured that spindle.
Richard Payne

Las Vegas,NV

72 5.7 Hemi Javelin

77 Prostreet 401/727 AMX,

[/URL]
Red Devil View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Red Devil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/27/2010 at 10:29pm
Got a chance to measure the '82 Concord and '78 Concord.  The '82 was same as '79 with the 1.25" / 0.75" bearings and 1.685" seal.   The '78 uses larger 1.377" / 0.866" bearings and 1.94" seal.  The mounting offsets are otherwise the same.   The maximum "M" dimension is also about the same at approx. 3.12".  The optimal "M" dimension seems to be approx. 3.10" 

The larger spindle would seem to be a better choice for a Wilwood brake kit, assuming you can find a pair, unless just going for small rotors and entry-level calipers.  Maybe use the big spindle with the 3.02" Granada hub with a shim between nut and washer to get the spacing right for the cotter pin to fully engage the lock?  There's a fair bit of clearance to allow reduced spacing, but not much to increase spacing without a bit of modification to the cotter pin hole or a thinner washer or nut.

Hope this helps, RD.

Edited by Red Devil - Mar/28/2010 at 4:46am
70 71 72 AMXs View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 70 71 72 AMXs Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/28/2010 at 12:39pm
Not to redirect the subject, but had you considered using any of the late model rotors without the hub attached? When I converted my drum brake Javelin to disc, I removed the drum from the hub and used a Jeep wrangler rotor on it. They even offer this rotor in a drilled and slotted version for that race car look! I had started with the ScareBird disc kit, but did not like the tiny Ford Ranger rotor they used or the shim that was needed to place the Ford rotor on the AMC spindle. My version keeps the stock bearings and grease seal.
Bruce
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345>
  Share Topic