TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > Suspension, Steering, Brakes & Wheels
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

Help! Calling All Spindles!!

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 5>
Author
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote needafasterAMX Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/17/2010 at 11:05pm
I am going to go out on a plank here.

I believe that all the spindles are the same from the small end to the back of the seal surface, It is the mounting plate that is different , The spindle mounting plate comes in assorted  thickness.

Thats all I can see with all the spindle that I have.

Exception to that rule, Is the two or three year of the bendix big brakes.
Which used bigger bearings.

There was a thread started some where with the part # and the mounting
thickness of some of the spindles with pictures.
I have been looking for it, But no luck. I believe it was on the other forum. 
74 AMX, 401
Viper spec T56 6 speed trans
Hydroboost brakes with rear disks from a Avenger
3:73 TG rear,now Trutrac with 3:15
A Turbo is in my future.
Steve_P View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted
Charter Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Steve_P Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/18/2010 at 5:42am
dimension M in your drawing is controlled by the rotor and possibly also the bearings.  It is not directly impacted by the spindle.  if you want the M dimension you should be measuring rotors. 
billd View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Forum Administrator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote billd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/18/2010 at 6:50am
Inner bearing seats against the larger spindle diameter.
The outer bearing is free to slide on the spindle - accounts for different bearing and race tolerances (cup and cone to some folks).
You could use a spindle that was slightly longer or shorter, or a drum or rotor that was slightly thicker or thinner in bearing spacing since the outer bearing is free to slide in or out, restricted only by the race in the inside, the nut/washer on the outside.
Red Devil View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Red Devil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/18/2010 at 8:02am
Limitation on the outer bearing is the cotter pin location - can't go beyond and can't go much shorter and still have satisfactory engagement.  Too short and you also run out of threads ... but could use a thicker washer.  Needs to be measured more closely, but there should be a real manufacturing drawing somewhere ... must be something for the drum and disc manufacturers to get the hub spacing right?   Then just need to confirm what years use same discs or drums and if later ones fit earlier spindles.
Hope this helps, RD. 
prostreetamx View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote prostreetamx Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/18/2010 at 8:07am
Originally posted by billd billd wrote:

Inner bearing seats against the larger spindle diameter.
The outer bearing is free to slide on the spindle - accounts for different bearing and race tolerances (cup and cone to some folks).
You could use a spindle that was slightly longer or shorter, or a drum or rotor that was slightly thicker or thinner in bearing spacing since the outer bearing is free to slide in or out, restricted only by the race in the inside, the nut/washer on the outside.
I agree that the numbers I provided are variable depending on the hub being installed. I do have a few loose drum hubs as well as a KH disc. I also noticed that while the outer bearing shaft size is smaller on the drum spindles, the bearing shared the outer race diameter. The disc spindle is a little beefier but not nearly as beefy as the ones pictured above. I don't agree that the only difference is in the later bigger bearing versions being the only different ones. Mine are all early 70's units. I do have a 77 AMX I can measuse, but it is on the car. I believe it's 78 that had another change. It might be as simple as a bearing swap, no mater what spindle you have, but I think a brake kit might have to include a common spindle for all if the bearing swap doesn't produce an outer race common size.
Richard Payne

Las Vegas,NV

72 5.7 Hemi Javelin

77 Prostreet 401/727 AMX,

[/URL]
Red Devil View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Red Devil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/18/2010 at 8:27am
If they do a new spindle, I vote for a bigger bearing than the 1.25" ... but then we're starting to ask a fair bit of a kit and pushing up the price even more.  My '74 KH discs have 1.25" inner, 0.75" outer - same bearings as the '79.  Be nice if the bigger AMC spindle was still available ... but it's still not on the scale of the stock car spindle shown on pg.1 ... and the 35mm bearing actually has a slightly lower rating than the 1.25".
Hope this helps, RD.
prostreetamx View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote prostreetamx Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/18/2010 at 1:15pm
My KH spindle measurements are bigger than the 1.25 and .75 indicated above. My KH spindle is 1.377 and .865. The measurement just provided match my drum spindles. I believe I have found 2 different KH spindles since the ones on my Javelin are from a 74 and I think they are different also. I know the spindle I measured as a KH version is a disc version since the mounting flange is only .896 thick, while my 2 different drum spindles have a 1.280 and a 1.265 mounting flange thickness.

Edited by prostreetamx - Mar/18/2010 at 1:17pm
Richard Payne

Las Vegas,NV

72 5.7 Hemi Javelin

77 Prostreet 401/727 AMX,

[/URL]
TorqueyAMX View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TorqueyAMX Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/18/2010 at 1:42pm
Thanks guys for all the help!

My '71 KH car will be going over to Wilwood for potential prototyping maybe next week.

I doubt making a new spindle is feasable cost wise. That's why getting the "M" measurements are important in this process. Just for the KH spindle, I may have found a minimum of 5 off the shelf Wilwood hubs that may work depending on the offset. Even then, minor adjustments could be made depending on the thickness of the new Caliper bracket.

I still need the "M" measurements for the Pre '70 disc spindle, the '75-'78 Bendix spindle and the '79 up spindle that goes back to the smaller bearings.

forest View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote forest Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/18/2010 at 7:08pm
I have a set of spindles off a concord with the KH brakes I think. I could possibly ship them out to wilwood if Im promised them back....
setting guys out by car lengths....
TorqueyAMX View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TorqueyAMX Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/18/2010 at 8:15pm
Originally posted by Steve_P Steve_P wrote:

dimension M in your drawing is controlled by the rotor and possibly also the bearings.  It is not directly impacted by the spindle.  if you want the M dimension you should be measuring rotors. 

I understand that aspect of the dimension.

I'm simply trying to dial in various measurements to potentially make Wilwood kits utilizing the most off the shelf parts available to keep the costs down. I will know more what pieces play a role once a car is digitized.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 5>
  Share Topic