TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > Suspension, Steering, Brakes & Wheels
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

brake4

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 678910 13>
Author
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Moderator Lost Dealership Project

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote farna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/21/2010 at 5:04am
The disc brake bracket is 1/2"- 3/4" and the spindle base is 3/4"-7/8". Could be 1-1/4" or a bit more, depends on year. I think his 1-1/4" thick combo is for a 71-74 Kelsey Hayes setup. The later Bendix is slightly thicker. It all depends on how deep the rotor is -- how far the wheel mounting face on the rotor is set back from the end. As I said, drum brakes have that face much closer to the end of the spindle, and there is no bracket or spacer. Maybe you're measuring the steering arm too? The steering arm goes between the spindle and steering knuckle on both disc and drum setups, and is the same on both. 
Frank Swygert
FuzzFace2 View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FuzzFace2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/21/2010 at 11:05am
Edit: This came off my 70 Javelin SST drag car. Car came from the factory with a v8/auto, with out re-checking the numbers I dont know the motor size. Also added the drum size below.

Here are the pictures of a 10" drum setup I have.

Drum setup you can see the spindle (black) just above it the knuckle, and above that the steering arm.

http://cars.grantskingdom.com/gallery/main.php?g2_view=core.DownloadItem&g2_itemId=2393&g2_serialNumber=1

2 measurements of spindle base 1 1/4 - 1 of 1.255 other of 1.256

http://cars.grantskingdom.com/gallery/main.php?g2_view=core.DownloadItem&g2_itemId=2396&g2_serialNumber=1

http://cars.grantskingdom.com/gallery/main.php?g2_view=core.DownloadItem&g2_itemId=2402&g2_serialNumber=1

Dave ----

Sorry I cant show them, some thing about my site and how they store them.

Edited by FuzzFace2 - Apr/21/2010 at 12:43pm
TSM = Technical Service Manual

75 Gremlin X v8 for sale
70 Javelin 360/auto drag car
70 Javelin 360/T5 Street car
FuzzFace2 View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FuzzFace2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/21/2010 at 11:34am
This is off my 70 Javelin SST 390/4sp car. I pulled them last Dec. to install 83 Concord setup.

The 4 piston setup. First picture is the setup less the steering arm. You can see the empty bolt hole to the left. Thin spindle base, Caliper bracket, knuckle. Yea got to change the picture discripsion.

http://cars.grantskingdom.com/gallery/main.php?g2_view=core.DownloadItem&g2_itemId=2378&g2_serialNumber=2

Not so good picture of how I came up with the measurement

http://cars.grantskingdom.com/gallery/main.php?g2_view=core.DownloadItem&g2_itemId=2381&g2_serialNumber=2

Measurement of spindle base

http://cars.grantskingdom.com/gallery/main.php?g2_view=core.DownloadItem&g2_itemId=2384&g2_serialNumber=2

Caliper bracket with measurement .763

http://cars.grantskingdom.com/gallery/main.php?g2_view=core.DownloadItem&g2_itemId=2387&g2_serialNumber=2

Close up .763

http://cars.grantskingdom.com/gallery/main.php?g2_view=core.DownloadItem&g2_itemId=2390&g2_serialNumber=2

Dave ----

75 Gremlin X v8 for sale
farna View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Moderator Lost Dealership Project

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote farna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/21/2010 at 7:43pm
Thanks a lot Dave -- the pics sure do erase any doubt! Like I said, I haven't taken every AMC brake system apart. What I have the most experience with (and have a few on hand) is 58-66 Americans and 63-66 Classic/Marlin/Ambassador. Those all use the thin spindle with drum brakes. The disc setup I'm most familiar with is the 79-83 small car discs. Those all use a roughly 7/8".

I would suspect the real thick drum spindles are Javelin only, but TorqueyAMX said the part number also apply to other 1970 cars (see list below). So apparently there was a change with the 1970 suspension to get the front tread width where AMC wanted it, or in the case of the Hornet/Gremlin to fit wider than normal stock tires. Don't know how far beyond 70 the thick base spindle was used with drum brakes -- could be 70-71 only, but I suspect it was used with drum brakes until discs were stock on front (through 1976 -- 77+ disc front stock). I've not messed with any AMCs with drum brakes newer than 66, not that I took spindles and all off of anyway. Just changed some shoes and pads, maybe a wheel cylinder and caliper or two.

Going by application of a '70 Javelin V8 with drum brakes, that part number is also the same for:
 '71 Hornet/Gremlin 6 cyl less discs with wide 70 series tires
'70 Hornet V8 less discs with wide tires
'70 Rebel/Ambo V8 less discs
'71 Javelin V8 Less discs

Edited by farna - Apr/21/2010 at 7:49pm
Frank Swygert
poormansMACHINE View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted
Charter Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote poormansMACHINE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/21/2010 at 7:55pm
I've got Ambassador drum brake spindles that are 1.260" base.
FuzzFace2 View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FuzzFace2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/21/2010 at 8:17pm
Originally posted by poormansMACHINE poormansMACHINE wrote:

I've got Ambassador drum brake spindles that are 1.260" base.

PMM IIRC Torq said in a PM to me that was one of the cars that had the 1.25 base.

I would copy it from my PM but when I was trying to make room I dumped ALL my PM’s. I wonder if the 1.25 base goes with a 10 inch drum?

Dave ----

75 Gremlin X v8 for sale
TorqueyAMX View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TorqueyAMX Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/21/2010 at 9:08pm

"Don't Worry..... Be Happy!!!Tongue

Probably two kits. one a base 11 inch rotor kit and a 12.19 Big Kit!

The digitizing process

Edited by TorqueyAMX - Apr/29/2010 at 8:59pm
6t8amxetc View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 6t8amxetc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/21/2010 at 10:02pm
Awesome news TorqueyAMX! Thank you again for your efforts in making this happen. And for keeping us up to the minute on the progress. That is pretty cool they will let you take pics etc and post them here.  They will definitely be on my list of upgrades for my AMX. Have they given any indication of a time frame for development, testing, production etc? Thanks...Ty
FuzzFace2 View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FuzzFace2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/21/2010 at 10:03pm

Way to go! Job well done!

I know they just said they would do kits do you know how long before they have them rolling out the door & list some thing on their site? I don’t see any thing at all for AMC / Rambler.

Now if they could do some thing for the rear using the AMC 20. I know the axles would need to be replaced because of the end play of the stock setup.

There I go dreaming again

Dave ----

75 Gremlin X v8 for sale
TorqueyAMX View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TorqueyAMX Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/21/2010 at 10:24pm
Originally posted by FuzzFace2 FuzzFace2 wrote:

Way to go! Job well done!

I know they just said they would do kits do you know how long before they have them rolling out the door & list some thing on their site? I don’t see any thing at all for AMC / Rambler.

Now if they could do some thing for the rear using the AMC 20. I know the axles would need to be replaced because of the end play of the stock setup.

There I go dreaming again

Dave ----

Dave, That's actually almost Funny!LOL

I eventually heard they actually started taking my rear axle apart today and couldn't figure out how to do it!!!!!

I told them "Leave My Freakin' Rear Axle Alone"!!!Angry

I think I know of a way to digitize the rear without taking it apart and have passed that information along to them.

Edited by TorqueyAMX - Apr/21/2010 at 10:25pm
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 678910 13>
  Share Topic