TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > Suspension, Steering, Brakes & Wheels
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

brake4

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 56789 13>
Author
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TorqueyAMX Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/16/2010 at 1:46pm

Here’s the Bottom Line in this.

My Car IS going over to Wilwood on Monday the 19th along with a few other pieces to digitize and prototype. I will post photos of the process.

This “Research” thread was started for the benefit of the people on this forum and I THANK the people here that provided useful information.

Edited by TorqueyAMX - Apr/17/2010 at 8:27am
AMX Chipster View Drop Down
AMC Fan
AMC Fan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AMX Chipster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/16/2010 at 2:08pm
Torquey AMX

It would be great if Wilwood had brackets and parts for amc's in my opinion. I have had 3 different rear disks set up on my spirits and 4different front disks on my front. Every time, almost, I had to fabricate brackets to fit my needs. The last time I did my rear though, I had a Ford 9" end welded on my AMC 20 rear end and there was a bracket for Fords that fit wonderfully. The last front brake setup I did was with 14.25 rotors and grand national 6 piston calipers. I've always used Wilwood.
kirkwood View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Charter Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kirkwood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/16/2010 at 2:21pm
Quote I am really tempted to say more, but I won't

sounds like a great plan. 
AMO Newsletter Editor
farna View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Moderator Lost Dealership Project

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote farna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/17/2010 at 1:27pm
Well, since Wilwood will have Torquey's spindles and such they should be able to pick the hub that works best, modify if necessary. Hope he sent them a rotor also... I think he had to, sent the whole car! 
Frank Swygert
TorqueyAMX View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TorqueyAMX Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/17/2010 at 3:08pm
Frank,

They will have the whole "Dang" car plus a few other spindles and brackets.

Looking forward to them seeing an AMC in their facility.

Actually, Wilwood makes the brakes for the "Humvee" so it sort of has an AMC connection.
FuzzFace2 View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FuzzFace2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/20/2010 at 9:19am

TorqueyAMX your mail box is full!

Ok got the measurements, sorry it took so long they where buried.

The drum base thickness was 1.252  This came off my 1970 Javelin SST drag car when I installed a 76 Gremlin setup almost 15 years ago.

The disc one was .512 Now I could not take this setup apart so it was a ruff measurement with my calipers. Now I also got the measurement of the caliper bracket of .760 - .763  This I was able to get the calipers on. If you add up the 2 measurements it is so close to the drum base it would not make a difference in my book.

The disc setup is a 4 piston setup from my 1970 Javelin SST street car that II installed 83 Concord setup on last Dec.

I don’t know what the other disc setup measure along with the caliper bracket but guessing about the same as the disc setup above.

Hope this helps

Dave ----

TSM = Technical Service Manual

75 Gremlin X v8 for sale
70 Javelin 360/auto drag car
70 Javelin 360/T5 Street car
farna View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Moderator Lost Dealership Project

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote farna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/20/2010 at 10:26am
Are you positive about that drum spindle base measurement? I've never seen one that thick, no more than 7/8", but I haven't taken everything apart either. The base of the drum spindles were usually MUCH thinner than the disc brake spindle base/bracket combination because the wheel mounting surface is all the way out on the end of the spindle, not roughly half-way between the bearings as it is on disc brake hubs. The caliper mounts are usually 1/2" to 2/4" thick, so your 0.760" sounds right.  It sounds like you're assuming that the drum brake spindle base has to be the same as the disc spindle base+caliper bracket, but that's not true. Take another look at the drum brake spindle!
Frank Swygert
gwryder View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gwryder Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/20/2010 at 10:34am

I would be interested in what appears to be a 21st century disc brake setup. I would like to see a front kit that can be expanded to 4 wheel discs. All the hydraulics would be welcome, proportioning valve, MC, etc. I would be willing to go with a larger diameter wheel too.  My current spec's below.

1970 AMX, 14" wheels

John
70 AMX

TorqueyAMX View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TorqueyAMX Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/20/2010 at 8:42pm
Yes, It is there being digitized!Clap Notice one of my Machine wheels there for the process.

Edited by TorqueyAMX - Apr/20/2010 at 8:43pm
FuzzFace2 View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FuzzFace2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/20/2010 at 9:36pm
Yea Frank I PM'd TorqueyAMX about that measurement. I am going to pull it back out and check it again and take pictures. Dont think I need to take the assy apart but may just to make sure.

What is funny the measurements Torq gave me of the 2 different disc spindles with the calipers brackets they came out to the 1 1/4".
Dave ----
TSM = Technical Service Manual

75 Gremlin X v8 for sale
70 Javelin 360/auto drag car
70 Javelin 360/T5 Street car
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 56789 13>
  Share Topic