TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > Suspension, Steering, Brakes & Wheels
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

brake4

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 34567 13>
Author
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Charter Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kirkwood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/16/2010 at 1:52pm
You're correct Dave, my mosers had the sealed bearings. I guess that wasn't my issue after all; It may have just been difficulty in bleeding the GM calipers; it is tough to get all the air out of them due to the bleeder placement.
AMO Newsletter Editor
TorqueyAMX View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TorqueyAMX Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/18/2010 at 6:38pm
Good News! Things are looking "UP"! Just had a nice chat with the head of Sales and Marketing for Wilwood and he's very interested in putting together some kits. He understands the feasability of dialing in off the shelf stuff utilizing the right caliper bracket and is fascinated by the bolt on spindle setup.

He is also a retired ex L.A.P.D Cop and is very familiar with the old Matador Cop Cars. He asked a lot of questions about the AMC engines and how they develop such power and how the heads flow.

Keep you posted.
amcrules00 View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote amcrules00 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/18/2010 at 7:07pm
DUUUUUUUUUUUUDE! Thumbs Up
FuzzFace2 View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FuzzFace2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/19/2010 at 8:18am
Originally posted by TorqueyAMX TorqueyAMX wrote:

Good News! Things are looking "UP"! Just had a nice chat with the head of Sales and Marketing for Wilwood and he's very interested in putting together some kits. He understands the feasability of dialing in off the shelf stuff utilizing the right caliper bracket and is fascinated by the bolt on spindle setup.

Keep you posted.

I think this is a good thing. Because of all the different size (2 as I am not sure?) AMC spindles and people not knowing what they have with out pulling it apart or measuring wrong, if the kit came with a new bolt on spindle then only one bracket would then need to be made to work with off the shelf parts like hub, hat, caliper, etc..

OK maybe 2 or 3 brackets to use different size rotors (11”, 12”, 13”) but still use the new spindle & off the shelf parts. If the new spindle was the same as 1 of the AMC ones then even better but should be able do the 1 stop shopping if need be.

I am thinking any bracket that is made should NOT bolt to the stock AMC disc bracket! This is because some of the people buying the kit don’t have them or will have the wrong one. Case in point I have 3 different AMC disc brake set ups on 3 different cars. They are 1970 4 piston setup, 1976 Gremlin setup (like ford), 1983 Concord (like gm). I have not looked to see how different the brackets are but they have to be or we could interchange the calipers right?

Just me thinking out loud.

Dave ----

TSM = Technical Service Manual

75 Gremlin X v8 for sale
70 Javelin 360/auto drag car
70 Javelin 360/T5 Street car
TorqueyAMX View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TorqueyAMX Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/07/2010 at 8:26pm
I think my car will be going over to Wilwood next week for Prototyping!

Stay Tuned!!
AMXing View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AMXing Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/08/2010 at 8:56am
 I have been building brake systems for all AMC using WilWood parts for about 8 years. Our system can be used on all AMC that have the bolt on spindle. Check out the AMX in this article. He is using our brakes.   http://www.popularhotrodding.com/features/0611phr_1970_amc_amx/index.html
Give us a call.
209-837-4409 Ken
lugo likes ramblers View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lugo likes ramblers Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/11/2010 at 8:33pm
do it! i need a kit for my 65 american! a full wilwood kit would be amazing! like everyone else has said theres definitely a market for this kit and god knows the guys that have been into amcs forever (im still relatively new being im only 17) would love this as well.

it would be simply another headache out of the way for the amc crowd if there was a bolt on disc conversion kit from such a big name in brakes!
65 rambler american 2door hardtop!
AMXing View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AMXing Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/12/2010 at 9:49am
These front and rear brake kits are the most complete kits on the market.

Edited by AMXing - Apr/12/2010 at 7:07pm
farna View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Moderator Lost Dealership Project

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote farna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/14/2010 at 8:30am
The only bolt-on conversion right now that will fit ANY spindle is the Scarebird conversion kit. Just under $200 gets you a caliper bracket that bolts on TOP of the spindle instead of behind it, so spindle base thickness (that's the real difference between them) doesn't matter. You add $200-225 of off the shelf GM calipers and rotors from the local parts store to complete the system. A Wilwood caliper designed to bolt in place of a standard GM caliper should work fine -- same with the rotor. Get the Wilwood rotor to replace the GM one in the parts list that comes with the Scarebird kit (www.scarebird.com).

Now I said ANY spindle, but I don't think it works with the big-bearing spindle used 75-76 on all cars, 77-78 on the Matador only. The rotor would be different, but the bracket will bolt on. The rotor listed with the kit only fits the small bearing spindles, you'd have to do a bit of experimenting to find a big bearing rotor (built-in hub). Or use a drum brake hub (did they have drums on 75-76 cars? 77-78 Mats??) and a hat type Wilwood rotor... 

Edited by farna - Apr/14/2010 at 8:33am
Frank Swygert
Red Devil View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Red Devil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/14/2010 at 11:52am
Hi Frank,
Do you know for certain if all 75-76 cars use the big spindle, or only disc cars?  I've got a 75 Hornet with drums that will be scrapping, so if it has the big spindles then worthwhile to pull them off.  I pulled a set of big bearing spindles off a '78 Concord with discs, so seems they were used on more than just Matador. 
Thanks! RD.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 34567 13>
  Share Topic