TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > Suspension, Steering, Brakes & Wheels
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

brake4

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 23456 13>
Author
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Coloradoamx Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/12/2010 at 9:19pm
A complete Wilwood set-up is the best news I have heard in a long time!!!!  I am tired of having to scrounge parts, cross reference part numbers, and settle for home made brackets and parts. Search the forums, there are strings going back from the beginning where people are trying to adapt, scrounge, modify, beg-borrow-and-steal upgrades for thier AMCs.  It seems to me to be a completely untapped market for Wilwood or somebody in the high-end applications.  There is a BIG market for a high-end brake set-up for AMC.  There are a lot of Javelin, AMX, Spirits, Hornets, Rebels, etc., out there that have had to settle for less just because that's all we have to work with.  I have attached a couple pictures of the Crush with McIntyres set-up.  I love it, but I have to admit it is pricecy.  If Wilwood made a complete application for us, especially if all they have to do that's unique is a bracket, and the rest of the system is off the shelf Wilwood parts, that soulds like a winner to me.  I'm bulding a pro-street 73 javelin AMX, and need Wilwoods on all four corners!!!

TorqueyAMX View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TorqueyAMX Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/12/2010 at 9:48pm
Guys,

There is a lot of information being fed to Wilwood as we speak including exploded views of the suspension systems and brakes systems along with parts breakdowns. They also have links to this forum and this thread in particular to monitor all your input. Hopefully, things will come together soon.
FuzzFace2 View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FuzzFace2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/13/2010 at 2:56pm

Between the pictures Prostreet (page 2)  posted & Coloradoamx (page 4) it looks like the calipers are different. Pro is a 4 piston & Colorado a 6 piston or is it because we are looking at it from front & back sides?

Dave ----

Edited by FuzzFace2 - Mar/13/2010 at 2:58pm
TSM = Technical Service Manual

75 Gremlin X v8 for sale
70 Javelin 360/auto drag car
70 Javelin 360/T5 Street car
Coloradoamx View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Coloradoamx Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/13/2010 at 3:59pm
I'm pretty sure Prostreet's calipers on page 2 are not Wilwoods.  The calipers on the Crush (Coloradoamx) are Forged Superlite 4 piston Wilwoods.
poormansMACHINE View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted
Charter Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote poormansMACHINE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/13/2010 at 4:24pm
Originally posted by Coloradoamx Coloradoamx wrote:

There is a BIG market for a high-end brake set-up for AMC.

How many AMC'ers constitutes a big market?

How much are they willing to pay?

It's hard numbers that will make or break a business deal.

prostreetamx View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote prostreetamx Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/13/2010 at 4:36pm
The picture I posted is a conversion kit to put Cobra calipers on a Mustang. These calipers would simply bolt on to your factory caliper bracket with this adaptor plate added. You would also put a 13" Cobra rotor on your drum brake hub. I also found some pics on Photobucket.com of this setup on an AMX. The guy fabbed up his own adaptor brackets and trimmed the factory hub so the cobra 13" rotor would fit. I also have a pic of a similar 1 piece bracket for an early Ford that has the 4 hole mount for the spindle as well as the tabs and holes for the caliper. While probably not correct for AMC, it looks pretty close.
The only difference between the Cobra calipers (other than size) is that the Cobra calipers have longer mounting tabs to space them out for the larger rotar. They would bolt on to the same non-cobra tabs. If a brake company looked at what is already out there to work with, the R&D would be much easier. I'm not sugesting that they reinvent all new parts, just add a few AMC specific pieces so it would be more universal. A bracket similar to this would solve about 90% of the problem. I think this is a Mustang Steve's part.

Edited by prostreetamx - Mar/13/2010 at 4:45pm
Richard Payne

Las Vegas,NV

72 5.7 Hemi Javelin

77 Prostreet 401/727 AMX,

[/URL]
Red Devil View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Red Devil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/14/2010 at 7:09pm

Anyone know if you can get better street/mild track pad compounds for the stock KH or Bendix calipers, like a Polymatrix 'E' or BP10 or BP20, and have part numbers?  A simple pad upgrade would be a big plus and likely have wider appeal.  Thanks! RD.

mramc View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mramc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/16/2010 at 12:45pm
OK Rear Dana 20 disk brake setups. Remember I"said" for "Jeeps". I was unaware of the setup Randy is selling at Performance American style for AMCs. I'll add another two , one for jeeps , one more universal.

Off Road Unlimited has a kit. See there web site at :http://www.4wheelparts.com/Brakes/Off-Road-Unlimited-Rear-Disk-Brake-Kit.aspx?t_c=65&t_s=23&t_pt=6401&t_pl=9817. This kit is primarily for Jeeps and has the axles with it ,FOR WHAT looks LIKE 6 BOLT WHEELS. So you are unlikely to use this on an AMC. But there are options, so i think you would have to call and ask.

The number two setup is from SSBC. This setup will work from the look of it on AMCs. Again there are options , including one piece axles. Web site is at: http://www.ssbrakes.com/commerce/brakefinder/?make=Jeep&model=CJ-7&engine=All&year=1978&cat=Rear%20Brakes&sub=%28H%29%20%20%20%20%20%20%20%20%20%20%20%20%20%20%20%20Single%20Piston%20Rear%20Brake%20Kits.

* Bullet point here: I believe there is a bit of difference in the axle length between the AMC Dana 20 for cars and the AMC Dana 20 for jeeps. The Jeeps are shorter I believe.

* The setup are primarily made for CJ-7 s They will work for AMC with the notation of the axle length difference. I've seen a few done this way. So nothing new here. Lord love the Jeepers or we
would a whole lot less parts for our AMCs.

* Note: While doing the research I did notice that a lot of the jeeps were switching to DANA 44s and or other heavier duty rear ends. There seem to be a good number of rear disk setups for the Dana 44 used on the latter period of Jeeps.

* Note: aside: Kaiser-Frazer and the Argentine IKA-Renault versions of there AMCs built in Argentina used the DANA 44.  Not that hard a change over.(with the right rear end).

* Note : Personally  I would not spend money redoing a Dana 20 with rear disk brakes. The 20s are just too weak and it's easier to change over to a better rear end. If I'm spending that kind of money. That what I did on my 69 AMX. I used a Ford L-V nine inch rear end and an SSBC new rear
disk brake setup.

Note to the note * The L-V rear disk parts are just too hard to get and expensive when you do find them. So, thus the switch to newer parts. Only is now I have a metric rear disk brake setup on my 69 SAE bolt type car.

*Note: AMC did have a four wheel disk brake system for the Trans-Am series. They used the GM type Corvette 4 piston delco type system. In theory it was an option on Javelins and AMXs. (For about $2,000 , back in the day.) So you never see it. AMC did just enough to get through as a option. Rumor was the 4 four disk setup went to Australia as part of the CKD kits.

LRDaum
LRDaum
kirkwood View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Charter Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kirkwood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/16/2010 at 1:10pm
Don't the jeep's also use a different bolt pattern?

I did rear discs on my old spirit using the AMX Enterprises/TSMFG kit. I used a Grand Cherokee front disc rotor along with a modified bracket to make it work. The kit I purchased used a machined Lincoln rotor with an incorrectly sized center hole. 

I wasn't impressed with the rear discs. I recall reading once in NAMDRA I believe that rear discs on model 20's don't work as well since the axle floats in the housing. Anyone know about this?

AMO Newsletter Editor
FuzzFace2 View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FuzzFace2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/16/2010 at 1:41pm

There was talk about this in a post some where either on here or the other site. The floating axle is when stock axles are used as they get shimmed at the left axle IIRC. One piece axles (like above) do not need to be shimmed so they don’t float. It is this floating that pushes the piston(s) back into the caliper so when you hit the brakes the peddle is low so you have to pump the brakes for the peddle to come up. Again 1 piece you don’t have this issue.

If I am wrong some one will say so.

Dave ----

TSM = Technical Service Manual

75 Gremlin X v8 for sale
70 Javelin 360/auto drag car
70 Javelin 360/T5 Street car
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 23456 13>
  Share Topic