TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > Suspension, Steering, Brakes & Wheels
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

brake4

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 45678 13>
Author
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Class Guy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/14/2010 at 1:26pm
This is a picture of the bracket  made to fit a Wilwood 1017B kit (early Camaro or small GM drag race kit) to my Hornet.  It's a simple bracket and I have a drawing if anyone would like a copy.  I can also have some cut if anyone wants to purchase them.  This bracket will fit 10 3/4" rotors and will work with solid rotors or vented rotors.  IMHO the pattern could be modified to fit larger diameter rotors, since the rotor to hat spacing would be the same.  In addition to the bracket, you will need (4) 7/16" x 2-1/2" flat head socket screws & nuts, (4) 7/16" x 3 1/2" flat head socket screws, and (2) wheel seals. 

Since this bracket mounts in front of the spindle, it should fit most AMC spindles. I know it works on the three different spindles I have. 

After doing the research on the Wilwood kits, I believe that an early Mustang kit (4307B) might be a more viable option to start with, plus it uses an 11 3/4" rotor. The bracket that comes with the Mustang kit may be able to be modified to use on the AMC spindle and the seals are correct for the AMC spindle.  If the bracket in the Mustang kit cannot be used, then my bracket will work since the hubs and calipers are the same in both the Mustang and the Camaro kits.  My bracket would have to be modified to move the caliper away from the bearing center to work with the 11 3/4" rotors.

Edited by Class Guy - Apr/14/2010 at 1:41pm
farna View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Moderator Lost Dealership Project

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote farna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/14/2010 at 3:08pm
RD -- the 77-78 Concord/Gremlin/Spirit also used the big spindle. I forgot about those bastard brakes! They use the big bearings/spindles, but the small 2.6" piston calipers instead of the 3.1" piston calipers used on all 75-76 models. The RockAuto catalog doesn't list a drum brake bearing for 77-78 models. I was thinking that's about when they did away with front drums, checked the RockAuto catalog to make sure. All front drum brake cars used the small spindles.

I don't particularly think the big spindles are worth saving. The rotors for 77-78 are one of the hard to get ones, harder than prior years. Everything prior to 79 is pretty hard to get and usually cost $100 or more each. Occasionally you'll find a better deal, maybe an AMC vendor has a good stock, but most places have been selling stock-on-hand and not reordering, and the supplier may have stopped making them.

Class Guy -- neat job on those adapters! I was thinking of just making an adapter to mount to the AMC bracket or using the Scarebird bracket. Could alter the adapter using the AMC bracket for a larger diameter rotor easy enough, using the Scarebird bracket directly you'd be stuck with the stock rotor diameter OR making an adapter similar to what  you'd need for the stock AMC bracket. I think there are engineering drawings for adapter brackets on the Wilwood site, or at least drawings for the caliper mounting points.

Edited by farna - Apr/14/2010 at 3:12pm
Frank Swygert
prostreetamx View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote prostreetamx Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/14/2010 at 8:15pm

Any AMC spindle is worth saving if you ever want to buid a trailer or just make a set of rollers for your engine hoist. Since they all bolt on, it's pretty easy to make them fit on a home made axle with plates welded on.

Richard Payne

Las Vegas,NV

72 5.7 Hemi Javelin

77 Prostreet 401/727 AMX,

[/URL]
AMXing View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AMXing Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/15/2010 at 4:56pm
PROSTREETAMX I was reading some of your posts, and this one is not entirely correct.Smile "McKintire has already engineered the bracket needed to bolt a Willwood caliper to an AMC. He CNC's this part in batches of 10 sets at a time. His setup uses off the shelf Willwood parts and a stock AMC drum hub. He only adds the brake hose and caliper bracket. The $2500 price is too rich for me for a bracket and hose. The last I heard is he will not sell the bracket seperatly."  

Here are some picture of what actually comes with McIntire's brakes kits..... Hubs, adapters and caliper mount, all machine by McIntire from billet alum. 6061. They also come black or clear anodize. Rotors are yellow zinc. Everything you see here is included in the kit and more!!!!!

Edited by AMXing - Apr/15/2010 at 5:27pm
farna View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote farna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/15/2010 at 5:04pm
The billet hub is the real kicker as far as price. Nice, but I think a Mustang II hub fits. I wouldn't think the offset would make that much difference as long as the tire still fits in the wheel well -- wouldn't matter if it was 1/2" or so further out, but further in would cause wheel clearance issues. Another inch in tread-- who cares? 
Frank Swygert
AMXing View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AMXing Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/15/2010 at 6:08pm
There are some problems when trying to use Wilwood hubs. They are universal for most of there kits using the same bearing set as AMC. The wheel mounting flang off sets out 3/4  more than the AMC hub dose. This will cause clearance issue with wider rims and tires.  Also when the hub is mounted on the AMC spindle, the cotter pin hole is to close to the bearing. There is no room for the nut and washer. I have used Wilwood hubs in drag racing applicatios. With a little machining to the spindle to move the hub in for the lock nut and washer. And running 6" wide drag wheels they work fine.
farna View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote farna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/15/2010 at 8:05pm
Sounds like you had the outer bearing mount area deepened on a lathe so that the bearing set in a bit further. Seems like that could be done to the rear bearing and a bit of the hub trimmed down, moving the wheel flange in about another 1/4" also.

I'm running a deep offset wheel with a 3/4" spacer between the spindle and steering knuckle to get inner wheel clearance right, and still have to use 1/8" wheel spacers too. I'm only running deep offset wheels to keep from having to narrow the Jag rear axle. So it looks like the standard Wilwood hub would work beautifully in my particular application -- just get rid of the spacers and machine the front bearing like you did. Something I might have to consider!

I've got a set of AMC drum brake hubs that I've already knocked the drum off of too. Was thinking about making a bracket to hold Wilwood calipers and use a hat type rotor.
Frank Swygert
prostreetamx View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote prostreetamx Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/16/2010 at 9:32am
Couldn't you have the outer bearing race seat machined so the race sits in a little farther. This would give you room for the nut and washer. I'm still looking into the AMC drum spindle, drum hub and custom caliper bracket to run the 13" Cobra rotars and calipers. It's already been done before and used Cobra 13" brakes pop up on Ebay all the time. I'm not worried at all about wheel offset since I plan to order the wheels I need in the future with the correct offset to match whatever I need. You would only need to be concerned if you already have your wheels or plan to run stockers, which is kinda a waste if you are running larger aftermarket brakes and they probably wouldn't clear the brakes anyway.
Richard Payne

Las Vegas,NV

72 5.7 Hemi Javelin

77 Prostreet 401/727 AMX,

[/URL]
farna View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote farna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/16/2010 at 10:19am
That will work, especially with my deep wheels. I can alter the spacers I already have if necessary.  I was thinking that altering the rear race seat would make standard wheels fit better, no need for special order offsets. 
Frank Swygert
Red Devil View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Red Devil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/16/2010 at 11:54am
Wilwood has a bunch of hubs with different offsets and bearing spacings, so not limited to just one hub offset.  Also note the cup OD of some of the 1.25" / 0.75" and 1.377" / 0.866" is the same, so should be able to interchange the small bearing / big bearing in some hubs.  Sorry, haven't checked 'em all to see what may be a closer fit.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 45678 13>
  Share Topic