TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > Tool Time tool review and eval area
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

Craftsmans Chinese Crapola

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>
Author
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mrblatzman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Craftsmans Chinese Crapola
    Posted: Mar/05/2010 at 7:06am
I wanted a better quality buffer/grinder so I finally located a nice one with a stand at Sears...Nice looking unit in the couple hundred dollar range...Figured Id pay more and only have to do it once...WRONG....It has a rheostat to control the motor speed....If used on any thing but low you have to chase the thing around the room as it vibrates and hops around...but thats not an issue anymore as the rheostate apparently burned up after a few hours use and now high speed and vibration is all it will produce....This was right before after about 45 minutes of contineous use the plastic light got so hot from heat from the motor case it melted and came off the case and fell down and contacted the wheel.....This is like several other Craftsman items I have bought recently, a floor jack that worked once, and a air tank that the guage exploded inside the face after a few uses...All this stuff was made in, you guessed it,,,China,,,Crap,,,If I had wanted junk I would have gone to a place where thats what they specialize in, not tried to rely on a good name gone bad like Craftsman....Shame on you Sears for letting us all down and following in the path of selling cheap inferior junk....Bob Reno
Thankyou....Bob
Peter Marano View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Peter Marano Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/05/2010 at 7:17am
Natural progression after K Mart bought Sears.
billd View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Forum Administrator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote billd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/05/2010 at 7:50am
I've got some of my original Craftsman tools from the 70s (and some from before!) and those are good - not snap-on great, but good. I've got many ratchets and a few power tools from way back when.
Not all of their current line is "chinese" but it's seemingly moving that direction.  My Craftsman air compressor I bought back in the 80's is still chugging along, even though I've abused it with blasting, painting, and forgetting to drain the tank (which has a bad not so solid sound now days).
It finally sprung a leak at the pressure switch area, but it's over 25 years old, so what can one expect having been in a machine shed with a dirt floor, and other various places in its life. I suspect the replacement from Sears today would not hold up so well to my abuse.
I tend to buy Sears tools from garage sales and swap meets now so I can get some of the older good stuff.
TinMan View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TinMan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/05/2010 at 2:27pm
I hope you get your money back. I bought a Craftsman variable speed rotary tool (or "Dremel" for people who call everything by a brand name Tongue) and after about a half hour of use the motor gave up. I brought it back and got a full refund.

Ace Hardware is supposed to start selling Craftsman tools this June, which I think will be a good thing, the Sears stores by me aren't what they used to be...literally, they're Sears Essentials!
steeters View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote steeters Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/05/2010 at 2:57pm
I wonder if you have to buy the Crafstman "professional" versions now to get a decent product?

FWIW, Amazon.com has an incredible selection of tools.  Often with free shipping and no tax.  I've purchased a few of their high end "rebuilt" tools with good success.  Dewalt, etc

Steve
purple72Gremlin View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted
Charter Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote purple72Gremlin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/05/2010 at 4:34pm
I pretty much dont buy from sears anymore.
bigbad69 View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bigbad69 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/05/2010 at 5:56pm
Most of my hand tools are Craftsman; collected over the past 30 years; all made in Canada or US. I wandered through the local Sears a few months ago and noted all their hand tools have "Imported by Sears" on the packaging save for a few screwdriver sets still made in Canada. I won't be buying any more tools from Sears. Like billd said, I'll keep my eyes open at swap meets and flea markets for the 20-year- old good stuff.
69 Javelin SST BBO 390 T10
PlazinJavelin View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PlazinJavelin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/06/2010 at 1:54pm

Sears stock these days makes the store brands at home depot look good.

PlazinJavelin
Marlin Wannabe

Mountainmoron View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted
Charter Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mountainmoron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/06/2010 at 5:05pm
I thought all the Craftsman hand tools (wrenches, ratchets, etc.) were built by Western Forge here in the U.S.  We have a WF plant here in town, and I know they have a banner hanging on the building that says "Craftsmen Building Craftsman for 100 Years."
'69 AMX 390EFI, AMO #9412
AMC instigator View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AMC instigator Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/07/2010 at 12:37am
 I have Loads and loads of Craftsman stuff, and have Just as many DeWalt stuff both have been real good. And yes I am still shopping at Sears, I do not know about the bottom of the barrel stuff, as I have only bought 7 small    "companion"  jacks for the cars  to drive to events, shows.  Just in case, but have Mostly been used to help others, and they worked each time.  I know as my father says, they are not Snap-On, but I can afford them, and they still have NO issue to give a warranty if ever needed. Which is the thing most places, hometown or big store  seem to make you into the a------ and then they may think about helping you. Then tell you that they noticed you did something wrong, or at least thought you did , and now you are just shafted.     SO long story short, I have been shopping there since  I was 10, and will def continue, as a 27 year excellent relationship has  value to me. This is for tools, by the way not Lever-actionLOLLOL   The store is 100 miles from my house, and a worth while trip. From my perspective. And yes I also thought they were making things there as Mountain-M said. SH  
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>
  Share Topic