TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > Suspension, Steering, Brakes & Wheels
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

Topic Closed69' AMX brakes . . .

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author
AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Direct Link To This Post Topic: 69' AMX brakes . . .
    Posted: Mar/04/2010 at 5:47pm
Are there any brake system up grades for these car's ?

I just got a 2 hour lecture on how i need to be less concerned with it going and more concerned with it stopping  !

Mike
1953 REO M48 w/w.
1962 GMC C3000.
1966 Rambler Classic.
1969 AMC AMX-390.
1982 Chevy C30 diesel.

purple72Gremlin View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted
Charter Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/04/2010 at 5:56pm
sure.   You can use the newer AMC disc brake systems.   1965-70 is expensive. 1971-76 is hard to find, but its a good set up. 1977-81.....are pretty much the same,but 1977-78 use a different bearing.. 1982-83 uses a different c aliper I think, but its also a low drag set up.  I have the 1978 system on a 1972 Gremlin.  IF you really want GOOD brakes, then send a PM to Hornet_X...........aka Mike Luke.

Edited by purple72Gremlin - Mar/04/2010 at 5:58pm
HURSTSSAMX69 View Drop Down
AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/04/2010 at 11:00pm
I hate brake's i think they slow you down and should be done away with LOL

but my father gave me a 2 hour lecture about safety, I personally think "Drum brakes are just fine" myself . . . "They worked then they'll work now" . . .

The 2 quoted things got me a 2 hour lecture . . .

Mike

1953 REO M48 w/w.
1962 GMC C3000.
1966 Rambler Classic.
1969 AMC AMX-390.
1982 Chevy C30 diesel.

AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/05/2010 at 11:02am
This place ? :
http://www.scarebird.com/index.php?id=1

it list an AMC kit ? for $185, it dose not tell whats all included ? ? ?

I don't much like the idea of cobbling Ford this to GM that held together with dodge this mounted on am AMC.

My 62' GMC & 53' Studebaker both have Full drum brakes they weight well over double what this AMX dose . . .

I personally do NOT think drum brakes are this unsafe  that piecing together disc's is necessary ? ! ? ! ? ! ?  

Then when all of this Cobbled crap is done then if any thing wears out or fail's you gotta remember what pile of junk you stole what from . . .

I would rather just be able to:

"Hi i need some brake pads/shoes  for my 1969 AMC AMX" or "Hi i need a new caliper/wheel cylinder for my 1969 AMC AMX"

did these ever come with front disc's ?   if so where do i buy those parts ?

Mike
1953 REO M48 w/w.
1962 GMC C3000.
1966 Rambler Classic.
1969 AMC AMX-390.
1982 Chevy C30 diesel.

billd View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Forum Administrator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/05/2010 at 11:52am
Good grief! I think you should have worked where I used to work...... with 24/7 towing and you MIGHT change your mind a bit.
No one is talking of cobbling!
The kits fit perfectly. CAll them and ask what's included, ask someone here who has done the conversion.
Do a bit of searching, there's several threads here that outline EXACTLY what is needed, a donor car can be found, and it's basically bolt-on! No hacking, no cobbling, it's pretty simple. From then on all you need is over-the-counter pads and caliper kits! Nothing special.
Drums were fine for the stock/factory performance, well, sort of fine, but if you go playing adding horsepower and speed, think of the horsepower it takes to STOP the car even faster than it gets going. Would you be happy if it took 1/4 mile to stop a car?
I'm keeping my car mostly stock, otherwise I'd probably have converted to newer disks than I have.
I am with 'pops' on this one. I've got too much experience in the industry and have seen too much........
Sorry but your attitude literally scares me sometimes........
AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/05/2010 at 2:02pm
My aunt & uncle owned a 24/7 towing service for 25 year's, tho none of the truck's had all drum brakes, there was one Rig that had all disc brakes and it didn't really stop any better then the Disc / Drum trucks . . . its stopping was about the same and had to be serviced a lot more . . .

Trucks with 33K-lb GVWR and over are running full drum brakes Wink

I was told that it comes with a few bracket's then i have to BUY a set of GM-Caliper's & then GM-Pad's to go with it, so you get some bracket's and a parts list for yea/make/model of the vehicles said parts have to come from . . .That came from some one who has done it.

GM parts on an AMC with custom made bracket, How would describe it ?

If cobbled is the wrong term ?

Mike
1953 REO M48 w/w.
1962 GMC C3000.
1966 Rambler Classic.
1969 AMC AMX-390.
1982 Chevy C30 diesel.

whizkidder View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/05/2010 at 2:39pm
Mike:  The last car I had with front drums was my '67 Ambo.  Used to regularly drive it over 100mph in my youth.  It's a miracle I'm still alive.  The drums are okay for normal speeds, but at 100+, you get decent deceleration for 5-8 seconds.  After that, the drums are so hot, and fade so bad you would almost be better off opening the door and dragging your foot.

The early discs aren't nearly as good as the later model stuff, but still lightyears ahead of the drums.  Your dad is a wise man.  Listen.
Ron Frost
marne1ancient @ gmail.com
910 nine two two 0563

"There is no limit to what a man can do, so long as he does not care a straw who gets credit for it. Charles Montague
AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/05/2010 at 2:50pm
I'd love to follow his advice and get disc brake's . . . But the options i have i'm not so sure i like . . .

GM/Ford parts ? - Custom parts ?-Obsolete parts ? - give up on the car ?

I feel backed into a corner here . . .

Mike

1953 REO M48 w/w.
1962 GMC C3000.
1966 Rambler Classic.
1969 AMC AMX-390.
1982 Chevy C30 diesel.

whizkidder View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/05/2010 at 7:45pm
To use period correct parts will cost you at least $400 just for rebuilt calipers, and that is if you already have rebuildable cores to send in.  Add to that the cost of the pads, spindles, mounting brackets (if you can find them from a parts car).  Big $$$

Alternatively, you can swap in all AMC disc setups from later model AMCs for much cheaper.

Using the Scarebird kit brackets and Ford and/or GM discs/calipers is even cheaper, and you'll end up with reliable brakes for which repair/replacement parts are readily available (probably in stock) at any autoparts store.  This is the easiest and cheapest, as you don't have to find a parts car, and cheap parts will be easily available for your lifetime.
Ron Frost
marne1ancient @ gmail.com
910 nine two two 0563

"There is no limit to what a man can do, so long as he does not care a straw who gets credit for it. Charles Montague
AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/05/2010 at 7:54pm
Kit is just bracket's, i then have run GM-Caliper's and pad's with Ford rotors . . .

I have 4 wheel drum brakes none of my system is any good for anything all junk . . .

If the front brake parts are Obsolete how dose one do a brake job on the rear, those will still be 40 year old drum brake parts same as the front ? ? ?

Mike

Edited by HURSTSSAMX69 - Mar/05/2010 at 7:58pm
1953 REO M48 w/w.
1962 GMC C3000.
1966 Rambler Classic.
1969 AMC AMX-390.
1982 Chevy C30 diesel.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
  Share Topic