TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > Suspension, Steering, Brakes & Wheels
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

Tubular Control Arms?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 1112131415 17>
Author
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Moderator Lost Dealership Project

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote farna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/09/2010 at 8:26pm
Steve you've got a point -- struts HAVE come a long way. There are still shortcomings in them though (as you noted). Limited camber change as the wheel moves is the biggest one, IMO. So yes, they CAN be made to handle, but most strut cars setup to handle experience excessive wear on the inside or outside of the tires. Strut car owners just learn to live with the shortcomings to get the performance they want. Struts set for normal driving don't wear much more on the inside/outside edges of the tires more than typical A-arm setups, but don't handle as well. Some of the high dollar cars that use struts don't use typical struts. I believe the BMW 3 series uses a regular strut, but the  higher series I think are like some of the Lexus models -- they use a strut to replace the spring and shock, but the spindle isn't on the strut. They use a double A-arm or upper A-arm and lower arm/strut rod with the strut connected to the lower arm only. Some of the magazines still call that a "strut" front suspension, but to me it's not.

Getting back to the point, as far as AMCs are concerned converting to a strut is probably a step backwards. Something like the coil over suspension Al has here is much better. The only place I see converting to a strut would be an advantage is in a drag car, using one of the drag strut setups to loose weight.
Frank Swygert
alber1x View Drop Down
AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote alber1x Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/09/2010 at 9:22pm
Guys:

All of this argument about struts is driving me crazy.  For the trunnion cars we are looking at a strut setup asONE of the alternatives...not THE alternative.  Now, if we did a strut we would be changing our the spindle as well to something like a Fox Body or SN95 Mustang spindle because it accomodates the strut in a precise and safe way.  We then would have to develop an appropriate coil-over for the strut and modify the tower to accept a caster/camber plate.

So, it's not an easy solution, but it also may be a good solution.  We just don't know yet.

Other alternatives include a full blown, bolt-in independent front suspension system with rack & pinion, upper and lower control arms and coil-over shocks, similar to what we do for the Mopars.  And yet another alternative is an upper and lower with a coil over shock mounted to a modified tower plate.

Give us a little more time and we will have a definitive solution (or two).  We will get there and it will be a great setup.

For all of those who purchased the control arms and rear suspensions, they will be shipping late next week.  Several sets have been sent to powder coating and should be back in a few days.

Thanks for all of your support.

Al
Al Kamhi
Control Freak Suspensions
Winter Springs, FL

888-325-6462
407-696-2772
www.FreakRide.com
Like us on Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/FreakRide
alber1x View Drop Down
AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote alber1x Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/09/2010 at 9:25pm
Originally posted by EagleFreek EagleFreek wrote:

To complete the AMC line up you need to make some front control arms to lift an AMC Eagle about 3-4". Wink 
Send me some arms and we'll see what we can do.  Bring it on.

Al
Al Kamhi
Winter Springs, FL

888-325-6462
407-696-2772
www.FreakRide.com
farna View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote farna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/11/2010 at 5:49pm
Well, there's really no argument over struts. They are adequate and can be made to handle. I don't care for them is really all there is to it. If someone else wants them that's fine, of course. I even wrote a detailed article on how I'd go about converting to a strut using Volvo or Nissan rear drive struts, but didn't actually do it. So there may be some "gotchas" that would make it a problem.

My biggest "problem" with converting to struts on an AMC is that you don't gain anything, not unless the entire front end is cut away and a tubular support for the upper strut mount is created, or a new spring tower is made. The top of the spring tower is needed to support the strut, and the upper arm mounts are made into the spring tower panel. The upper arm supports could be cut out and a flat piece welded in, but unless done properly with lots of thought that could seriously weaken the spring tower. So there's no gain in room in the engine bay by using struts. All you manage to do is get rid of the trunnion, and it really doesn't have any more limitations than the strut does (caster limits instead of camber). It's also cheaper to rebuild the trunnion suspension than replace it, and it can be made to handle well also -- Donohue proved that in the 68-69 Javelins, though he wanted more flexibility, which is one reason AMC finally was convinced to redesign the front suspension for 1970. Modern rebuilt 64-69 American/Javelin/AMX trunnions are superior to the originals due to the polyurethane bushings used (in the original housings), and will handle much better and last longer. The big car upper turnnions have never been a problems, just the small car 64-69 design.

The lone exception to this is a drag racer. The drag strut setups are light and not intended for street use because they are so light. But they do get rid of a lot of weight, so there is a definite advantage.

Replacing the trunnion suspension with a new upper arm that takes a Mustang II type spindle along with the new tubular lower arm (might need to be shortened a bit to use the MII spindle) is a different story. You gain a big option list as far as brakes, and you get to add caster as well (a strut will allow adding caster but would still have camber limitations, trading one for the other is sort of a wash to me). That's obviously the best route -- IMHO.

Edited by farna - Apr/11/2010 at 5:53pm
Frank Swygert
John Esch View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote John Esch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/12/2010 at 6:56am
WOW didn't know I'd open up such a can of worms . But its great to see so many opions pro and con on struts . My application is drag/ street use , just was kicking around a cost efective optoin . I have already rebuilt my trunnions only issue is radious rod bushings . foot brake racing is hard on stock rubber ones and the urethane slow suspension movment down slightly, but may have to switch to them or a spherical style.TwoCents
billd View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Forum Administrator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote billd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/12/2010 at 7:23am
Originally posted by alber1x alber1x wrote:

To complete the AMC line up you need to make some front control arms to lift an AMC Eagle about 3-4". Wink 

Al

I can send you a whole front end! LOL, in fact, the frame is SO rotted, a Red Green method of removal might work. The strut rod brackets have already fallen to the ground and the steering, well, there is none because things rotted off the frame.
Seriously, the Eagle upper control arms  and front springs are the same as all others, the lower arms, well, because they are independent front suspension four wheel drive cars, the front is a bit tricky. The front drive axles need to get through there and the lower arms are offset, not straight like the other AMC cars. They are odd-looking lower arms.
purple72Gremlin View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted
Charter Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote purple72Gremlin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/12/2010 at 9:40am
Originally posted by billd billd wrote:

Originally posted by alber1x alber1x wrote:

Al

I can send you a whole front end! LOL, in fact, the frame is SO rotted, a Red Green method of removal might work. The strut rod brackets have already fallen to the ground and the steering, well, there is none because things rotted off the frame.
Seriously, the Eagle upper control arms  and front springs are the same as all others, the lower arms, well, because they are independent front suspension four wheel drive cars, the front is a bit tricky. The front drive axles need to get through there and the lower arms are offset, not straight like the other AMC cars. They are odd-looking lower arms.
Yeah, I'll never forget that rusty car.........................LOL
Nashty401 View Drop Down
AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nashty401 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/12/2010 at 11:53am
Are the front '70 and up tubular control arms done yet?
farna View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote farna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/12/2010 at 12:01pm
John, to help with the strut rod  bushing reaction time use the "half-n-half" method. Get one poly and one stock rubber bushing. Use a poly half on the front and rubber on the back. This will allow more/quicker movement than with poly front and rear yet still keep the caster from changing during forward motion -- the poly bushing doesn't give, but the rear bushing does, which lets the suspension react just slightly slower/less than stock. 
Frank Swygert
alber1x View Drop Down
AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote alber1x Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/12/2010 at 2:23pm
The front control arms and coil over kits are done.  The arms are at the powder coater and should be back here in a couple of days for packaging and shipping.

Al
Al Kamhi
Winter Springs, FL

888-325-6462
407-696-2772
www.FreakRide.com
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 1112131415 17>
  Share Topic