TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > Body/Interior
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

gas tank

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author
AMC Fan
AMC Fan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tommyboy401 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: gas tank
    Posted: Feb/16/2010 at 1:39pm
I have a 1965 Rambler American I need a gas Tank and sending unit ,So what I'm looking for is a list of what fits what or a cross refrence to what fits my car.
Any help would be great.
ramblinfsj View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ramblinfsj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/16/2010 at 3:28pm
Well from my experience with Americans, the only of AMC tank that will fit is a '64 American. I do believe that a first generation Mustang tank will fit but the sending unit readings will be way off.
Welcome to the forum! And we are going to have see some pictures of your ride.
1982 Jeep J-20
1965 Rambler American 220
1978 Jeep Cherokee w/401
1983 Jeep J-10
1979 Concord DL 2dr
pacerman View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pacerman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/17/2010 at 9:38am
I thought that the 64 through 69 American tanks would all fit the 65 model.  If the car has the muffler on the driver's side of the tank the tank should fit a 65 American.   Someone else will know for sure, but the fuel filler design may have  changed on later models, so you might need to get the specific fuel filler assembly along with whater Rambler tank you get.  As another note, a first generation Mustang tank will fit dimensionally but you will have to relocate the muffler and tail pipe and you will also have to weld or braze a stub-out on the fuel filler to accommodate the 65 fuel filler hose.  The Mustang tank can be attached directly to the trunk floor or you can make custom straps to hang it.  Although there is some fabrication involved, which I normally shy away from, I installed a Mustang tank on my 65 American because it was available and relatively cheap ($130) and a new fuel filler was readily available for it, which has just about the same ohm readings as the Rambler part.  It would have cost over $400 to send my Rambler tank to Gas Tank Renu for repairs, so I junked it.  Joe
Happiness is making something out of nothing.
Tommyboy401 View Drop Down
AMC Fan
AMC Fan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tommyboy401 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/17/2010 at 2:51pm
Thanks Guys I as thinking along the same lines the 65 tank has the filler in the rear center and the exhaust is down the right side(pass)so off I go to find a tank.
Again THANKS
Wrambler View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wrambler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/17/2010 at 6:27pm
Originally posted by pacerman pacerman wrote:

I thought that the 64 through 69 American tanks would all fit the 65 model.  If the car has the muffler on the driver's side of the tank the tank should fit a 65 American.   Someone else will know for sure, but the fuel filler design may have  changed on later models, so you might need to get the specific fuel filler assembly along with whater Rambler tank you get.  As another note, a first generation Mustang tank will fit dimensionally but you will have to relocate the muffler and tail pipe and you will also have to weld or braze a stub-out on the fuel filler to accommodate the 65 fuel filler hose.  The Mustang tank can be attached directly to the trunk floor or you can make custom straps to hang it.  Although there is some fabrication involved, which I normally shy away from, I installed a Mustang tank on my 65 American because it was available and relatively cheap ($130) and a new fuel filler was readily available for it, which has just about the same ohm readings as the Rambler part.  It would have cost over $400 to send my Rambler tank to Gas Tank Renu for repairs, so I junked it.  Joe

Joe, You got me thinking about the new tank thing, dangerous I know. Anyway do you know the demensions of the tank you put in? width and length, side to side being width. Near as I can tell all the Mustangs up through 70 used the same tank width and length. They bulged the top up on the 69 to go to 20 gallons and bulged it even more to get 22 gallons on the 70's! 22 gallons at 28 mpg is some serious cruising range. Don't know if I'll go this way, but some info would be great if you have it handy. Rockauto will ship a brand new 70 Mustang tank to my door for $100! That is way, way tempting. sending unit? I'll have to research I have a Sport comp gauge so I can swap that if needed... Off to do more research on this...Well, it is almost 33"s wide and 22 long, fore/aft. sender kicks the price to $160. total. Stiil all new stuff and easy to mount. Do you know what size the filler neck on the Mustang tank is? still thinkingk RM on this one may be a poor choice a new tank and sender setup may be ideal. Depending on logistics I may take the trunk floor out and bolt it in ala Mustang. Thinking, thinking, thinking.

Edited by Wrambler - Feb/17/2010 at 6:40pm
Wrambler
69 AMC Rambler
4.0L, 5 speed
2015 Grand Cherokee Limited
2019 Chrysler 300
Tommyboy401 View Drop Down
AMC Fan
AMC Fan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tommyboy401 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/17/2010 at 7:31pm

wrambler,

Your right thinking is dangerous but .....I like the 20gal tank thinking for $160. including gauge thinking  the wheels are turning ... cutting the trunk is no big deal I think I will be buried in it anyway so go for what ya know

Thanks

KermitDRambler View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KermitDRambler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/17/2010 at 7:43pm
Keep in mind that if you cut the trunk floor out for one of these tanks, there is nothing fire resistant between the passenger compartment and a big box of flamable stuff.  It would be a good idea to replace the factory divider panel behind the seat with something metal.

Also, if you have a wagon, you'll have to relocate the filler neck to make it work. The filler neck on a wagon is off to the side of the tank.

Matt
1967 American wagon

http://www.mattsoldcars.com
FuzzFace2 View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FuzzFace2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/17/2010 at 8:07pm
Originally posted by KermitDRambler KermitDRambler wrote:

Keep in mind that if you cut the trunk floor out for one of these tanks, there is nothing fire resistant between the passenger compartment and a big box of flamable stuff.  It would be a good idea to replace the factory divider panel behind the seat with something metal.

Matt
I dont remember the mustangs having any other "fire wall" other than the seat! I had 1 69 and 2 fast backs (67 & 68) and the FB they put rug over the top of the tank IIRC.
BTW it is not hard to make a FW out of sheet metal but remember you have the pakage tray with 2 speaker holes & dont forget the rear 1/4 "door panels" that bad stuff can come thru.
Dave ---- 
TSM = Technical Service Manual

75 Gremlin X v8 for sale
70 Javelin 360/auto drag car
70 Javelin 360/T5 Street car
pacerman View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pacerman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/17/2010 at 9:46pm
You don't have to cut out the trunk floor.  The tank is suspended from the trunk floor.   Ain't no Ford engineering involved here.  Joe
Happiness is making something out of nothing.
ROGER70MARKD View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ROGER70MARKD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/18/2010 at 7:35am
The Mustang after market suppliers sell a sheet metal panel that mounts to the rear of the seat back. they promote it as a safety measure for rear end collisions. It would be easy to fabricate one.
Roger
ROGER
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
  Share Topic