TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > AMC V8 Engine Repair and Modifications
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

Head flow

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 45678>
Author
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SKeown Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/12/2010 at 3:23pm

Class Guy, I suspect welding a piece of cylinder wall into the exhaust pocket, then conforming it into the port to match the others would be frowned upon. Nevertheless, my point is what it is.

You should be proud of you're accomplishments.

SKeown

Edited by SKeown - May/12/2010 at 3:26pm
74Bubblefender View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted
Charter Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 74Bubblefender Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/12/2010 at 4:19pm
Great scott look at those poly profiles! Thanks for lining them up and sharing pics!! Gives a clue or a hint to how clueless the Indy profile seems to be.
We are just about to forge new AMC V8 crankshafts.. please check here
http://www.bulltear.com/forums/showthread.php?19564
DragRacingSpirit View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DragRacingSpirit Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/12/2010 at 4:25pm
Originally posted by 74Bubblefender 74Bubblefender wrote:

Great scott look at those poly profiles! Thanks for lining them up and sharing pics!! Gives a clue or a hint to how clueless the Indy profile seems to be.
Since the Indy head is the best flowing head that us AMCers have access to they must not be totally clueless.

Just looking at the design it is by far more superior than any of the other profiles.

On the SR plug the intake runner inlet opening looks way small than the profile of the rest of the port...and I am sure that Indy did this intentionally on the SR head for "stock" type parts compatibility.

If you open it up to match the rest of the runner and bowl size it looks by far superior than anything else pictured to me. 

Edited by DragRacingSpirit - May/12/2010 at 4:29pm
Best 1/4 mile 8.99, 1/8 mile 5.71, 60 foot 1.27, no power adders
steeters View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote steeters Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/12/2010 at 4:47pm
Originally posted by Ken_Parkman Ken_Parkman wrote:

Here are some pictures of some stock AMC molds. From left to right:

304, 390 rectangular, 401 dog leg, Edelbrock, Trapezoid (distorted and not fully filled) Indy SR

Wow Ken, it looks like you've got an 18 year old cat with a nervous colon roaming around the carpet.LOLLOL
Class Guy View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Class Guy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/12/2010 at 4:55pm
Originally posted by SKeown SKeown wrote:

Class Guy, I suspect welding a piece of cylinder wall into the exhaust pocket, then conforming it into the port to match the others would be frowned upon.
What you describe is past questionable; it would definitely get you disqualified.

Originally posted by DragRacingSpirit DragRacingSpirit wrote:

Since the Indy head is the best flowing head that us AMCers have access to they must not be totally clueless.

What they lack in finesse, they make up for in volume.  A sewer pipe does not have to flow well, just enough.

AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted
Charter Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 74Bubblefender Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/12/2010 at 4:57pm
I dont like the SR's out of the box they flow less than Edelbrocks but show more potential.
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted
Charter Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 74Bubblefender Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/12/2010 at 5:18pm
Originally posted by DragRacingSpirit DragRacingSpirit wrote:

Originally posted by 74Bubblefender 74Bubblefender wrote:

Just looking at the design it is by far more superior than any of the other profiles.

On the SR plug the intake runner inlet opening looks way small than the profile of the rest of the port...and I am sure that Indy did this intentionally on the SR head for "stock" type parts compatibility.

If you open it up to match the rest of the runner and bowl size it looks by far superior than anything else pictured to me. 

With a little more thought on this I wonder why Edelbrock stayed with a smaller bowl lead in area and they used Pro-e for their design. I wonder if Indy did this because the computer told them its best or if it was a artistic approach. I see the sharp radius at the bottom that sets up for turbulence in the cylinder.

Edited by 74Bubblefender - May/12/2010 at 5:21pm
Ken_Parkman View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ken_Parkman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/12/2010 at 5:41pm
The Indy SR is a really nice serious performance design that is screwed up to match a stock port opening. At least that's my opinion. Most of the port is actually sized very nicely for the size of the valve, and the ssr is much larger. The problem is the fairly poor machining and the stock size port inlet that is way out of line with everything else. Fix those things and you got a pretty nice serious performance cylinder head that'll make some power. You do need to pay attention to CSA.

Out of the box it's actually sorta dumb.

My opinion is the Edelbrock is a good street performance piece out of the box, ideal for a guy who wants an upgrade from stock and an aluminum head but does not to get into porting. But it's just not got the design for big power like an Indy. The port volume is just not there, and to get it would be a lot of work and you would still never get the ssr. Still fine for a milder race car, say 10's or 11's.
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted
Charter Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 74Bubblefender Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/12/2010 at 6:19pm
Originally posted by Ken_Parkman Ken_Parkman wrote:

The Indy SR is a really nice serious performance design that is screwed up to match a stock port opening. At least that's my opinion. Most of the port is actually sized very nicely for the size of the valve, and the ssr is much larger. The problem is the fairly poor machining and the stock size port inlet that is way out of line with everything else. Fix those things and you got a pretty nice serious performance cylinder head that'll make some power. You do need to pay attention to CSA.

Out of the box it's actually sorta dumb.

My opinion is the Edelbrock is a good street performance piece out of the box, ideal for a guy who wants an upgrade from stock and an aluminum head but does not to get into porting. But it's just not got the design for big power like an Indy. The port volume is just not there, and to get it would be a lot of work and you would still never get the ssr. Still fine for a milder race car, say 10's or 11's.
Kind of like paying for a head that is half done. Those ports should be opened up and raised out of the box instead of low browing BUT I suppose they wanted to capture the attention of all AMC'ers in all performance levels. Take a set of virgin Edelbrocks, a spool gun filled with aluminum and 200 hours of work and then you got something great. LOL

Both heads are fantastic and we are very lucky to have more than the OEM choice. I stand by my first post in this thread for most intake gain out of a stock production AMC head without epoxy.Wink
Steve_P View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted
Charter Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Steve_P Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/13/2010 at 6:43am
Ken P or Hurst 390: I know the mold is screwed up, but is the short side radius on the trapezoid head as non-existent as the mold makes it look?  

Ken: thanks for posting the mold pics.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 45678>
  Share Topic