TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > AMC V8 Engine Repair and Modifications
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

Head flow

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 8>
Author
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted
Charter Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Steve_P Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/02/2010 at 1:57pm
362 cfm is possible- but maybe at 60" H2O LOL

I doubt you could get that from a factory cast iron casting at 28"- maybe not even with the valve removed. 

I got ~263 cfm at .5" at 28" H2O but obviously quite a bit more than that is possible.  I don't remember what the best in the flow data by Ken Parkman is. 
steeters View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote steeters Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/02/2010 at 2:18pm
Originally posted by DragRacingSpirit DragRacingSpirit wrote:

Originally posted by steeters steeters wrote:

Hurst390 has one of the faster NA factory head motors out there.  You can probably figure out about what it flows (Barry Allen ported) based on mph?
Heck, he might even tell you what they flow.
STeve
His Spirit runs real well and it has iron heads on it. Either he has some of the absolute best flowing AMC iron heads or his engine builder Barry Allen has some AMC efficiency tricks up his sleeve we don't know about Smile  I bet Jim would claim that it is his tune that makes the difference !
Wink

His Spirit and mine ran real close to the same ET when I last had my car running.....and last time I had my race car running my Indy SR heads were flowing in the 315 range on the intake side.

Oh, and I don't know if there is epoxy in there or not (Hurst390).  Like I said, might post the info himself.
BassBoat View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BassBoat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/02/2010 at 2:41pm

Mine flowed 294 at .700 lift, at 28"  That is a 2.10 DelWest valve turned down to 2.07.  The party that owned the flow bench had heads that flowed more than mine without epoxy.  That said, I would never suggest that you can translate from flow bench to flow bench any more than you can compare dyno to dyno. 

BB
74Bubblefender View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted
Charter Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 74Bubblefender Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/02/2010 at 3:43pm
We are just about to forge new AMC V8 crankshafts.. please check here
http://www.bulltear.com/forums/showthread.php?19564
Hurst390 View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hurst390 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/02/2010 at 5:25pm
no epoxy...I uses a stock mr gasket intake gasket also...The flow is to get big past the pushrod and in the bowl entry..and i'm sure mine has some weld in places where a hole occured..mine are 290's at 800 lift I think..
SC/Hurst Rambler

11.62 120

100% Street Legal
steeters View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote steeters Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/02/2010 at 5:57pm

Is that the fastest factory head car without epoxy?

Steve
Hurst390 View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hurst390 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/03/2010 at 7:05am
LOL..I don't know? I think Glenn Quinn had iron heads and ran 8's...alot lighter car but alot faster..You have Barry's and Hemi's ss/b cars...Aris ss/c...etc.  My car is pretty close to SS/C weight I think...But i have no idea if they have epoxy..
SC/Hurst Rambler

11.62 120

100% Street Legal
amccar View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote amccar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/03/2010 at 7:33am
Anyone have heads with epoxy? What are the problems that you have to watch for and how hard are they to work with?
Hurst390 View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hurst390 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/03/2010 at 8:56am

Maybe it depends are where the epoxy was placed?...I have ground through at the pushrod pinch point on my own heads I have done(I have never tried to epoxy a hole into coolant)...and I have used high dollar putty made by permetex..and had some come out...so after talking to an old ss racer years ago he told me of his same problems..and he found out that after cleaning your parts as good as you possibly can..

take wesleys bleach white and scrub the area to be epoxied....

I went to that method and have never had any come out since! and now I just use regular old plumbers putty that comes in a stick....
I practiced with some devcon on a pontiac engine at the push rod pinch...it didn't last 2 weeks...went back with the above method and plumbers putty and it's stayed intact for 10 years...

but here is the thing...before I took my engine to Barry Allen I would spend alot of time on my heads making the port opening bigger,higher etc...My engine that Barry built for me has a stock intake port opening and placement..he made the pushrod pinch almost flat and when he got by the push rod thats where the real port work begins......
so my best advice is send Barry or Hemi a set of heads and let the pro's take care of the heads....
SC/Hurst Rambler

11.62 120

100% Street Legal
trrowe View Drop Down
AMC Fan
AMC Fan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote trrowe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/08/2010 at 10:58am
You don't have that much flow because Dean Turk didn't do your port work. When Don Garlits came out of retirement to attempt to break the 300 mph barrier he chose Dean Turk to do all the port work on his cylinder heads and manifolds. Thats how good he is. He has turned away work for years because he's always swamped with work. He will only do port work for true enthusiasts and always achieves the best flow numbers. Dean has been retired for many years, but still does the best port work in the country for a select few. He was a pioneer and early dominating force in the early 60's, First in a Pontiac powered Fuel dragster and later with a Crysler Hemi Fuel dragster.If you don't know of Dean, then you missed out on a truly fine human being that would be just as excited as you are to see you (and help with the best possible porting) tweak as much performance as possible out of your AMC.
 I'll never forget hearing a deafening roar from my shop, and running outside to see Dean smiling and tuning Eddy Hill's Top Fuel dragster right before Eddy retired.
 No finer cylinder head, intake manifold porting guru has ever lived. He always did extra work for the regular "Joe." especially if you wanted performance from a platform that wasn't the typical "performance" vehicle.
Thanks, Dean, Ed, Bill, Jerry.....
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 8>
  Share Topic