TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > AMC V8 Engine Repair and Modifications
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

Head flow

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 8>
Author
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote amccar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Head flow
    Posted: Feb/02/2010 at 10:03am
What is the flow limit for factory type heads without epoxy?
SKeown View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SKeown Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/02/2010 at 10:10am

I've heard a number of claims of 305 cfm, but also hear from experienced head porters that it's not really happening?

SKeown
amccar View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote amccar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/02/2010 at 10:16am
There is a guy on E-Bay that is claiming 362cfm done without epoxy by Dean Turk. Has anyone heard of this Dean Turk?
DragRacingSpirit View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DragRacingSpirit Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/02/2010 at 10:25am
Originally posted by amccar amccar wrote:

There is a guy on E-Bay that is claiming 362cfm done without epoxy by Dean Turk. Has anyone heard of this Dean Turk?
I would believe it when I see the numbers on my head porters flow bench. Before that I will say bull.

I have never personaly seen an AMC casting flow 300cfm let alone that number being thrown out there. The ported set of AMC castings that I used to run flowed in the 260-270 ish range if I remember right but they did not have any epoxy in them and were not radical or anything by any means.

I have seen an Indy SR head flow 345 ish CFM but that is after a LOT of work and the ports opened up as much as possible to 260cc of intake volume. I have never had the 401-1 head or the CNC versions on a flow bench so I only know what Indy claims on those.

Edited by DragRacingSpirit - Feb/02/2010 at 11:26am
Best 1/4 mile 8.99, 1/8 mile 5.71, 60 foot 1.27, no power adders
amccar View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote amccar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/02/2010 at 10:25am
Thank's guys. That is what I thought. My heads have some work done to them and they do not come any way near that.
tsanchez View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tsanchez Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/02/2010 at 10:30am
billd View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Forum Administrator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote billd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/02/2010 at 10:30am
There are some head flow specs posted here if that helps any...........
Also keep in mind, like other measurements, they might be using different pressures or criteria.
Ken Parkman is a guru on that stuff, probably Steve P as well.........
(Not that DRS isn't so no offense!)
SKeown View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SKeown Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/02/2010 at 11:06am

Ken P. tested mine right at 280 and Hurst390's are supposed to be 290 or so.

SKeown
steeters View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote steeters Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/02/2010 at 12:06pm
Hurst390 has one of the faster NA factory head motors out there.  You can probably figure out about what it flows (Barry Allen ported) based on mph?
Heck, he might even tell you what they flow.
STeve
DragRacingSpirit View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DragRacingSpirit Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/02/2010 at 1:30pm
Originally posted by steeters steeters wrote:

Hurst390 has one of the faster NA factory head motors out there.  You can probably figure out about what it flows (Barry Allen ported) based on mph?
Heck, he might even tell you what they flow.
STeve
His Spirit runs real well and it has iron heads on it. Either he has some of the absolute best flowing AMC iron heads or his engine builder Barry Allen has some AMC efficiency tricks up his sleeve we don't know about Smile  I bet Jim would claim that it is his tune that makes the difference !
Wink

His Spirit and mine ran real close to the same ET when I last had my car running.....and last time I had my race car running my Indy SR heads were flowing in the 315 range on the intake side.

Edited by DragRacingSpirit - Feb/02/2010 at 1:37pm
Best 1/4 mile 8.99, 1/8 mile 5.71, 60 foot 1.27, no power adders
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 8>
  Share Topic