TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > Electrical - non engine
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

MP3 player with old radio : one solution .

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123
Author
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nali Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/04/2011 at 2:44am
The goal of my hack is to simply use a mp3 player on a vintage radio .
You can find the kit for 100 $  . Mine cost 5$ , the most expensive part is the plastic box .
It wont change any AM mono radio to a Fm stereo  :P
I m quite a former electronic ing , I know the limitations of my hack . The only good side is it s easy to do for about everyone . Just 3 or 4 wires to solder .
It s an easy , efficient way . Don t ask much for 5  $ .
I made also a nice 4 way active filter ...  With Fenton 6 " , Aerogel 4" and Vifa 1 " titanium tweeters .
Central is a mix 300 -3000 with AOP and 24 db filter .

So I know this has limitations .
It cost 5 $ when other sell 100 $ for the same thing .

Just enjoy .

Edit : just avoid crossing grounds . This will kill everything .

Edited by nali - Jan/04/2011 at 2:48am
No more car :)
Maybe a 1965 Ambassador Coupé someday .. If I can find a cheap one.
ronilevi View Drop Down
AMC Fan
AMC Fan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ronilevi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/23/2011 at 1:55pm
Hi again all!

I just wanted to share my success with this hack and let you guys know that it works really well for a $1 hack. I had to recap my radio to get it functioning at first but once that was done, I was able to get this going really quickly. I have only recorded a quick video of it in action (which I will post here) but I am working on documenting it (and making it a more permanent solution) and then posting it to instructables for more people to enjoy.

Thanks nali for posting this topic and MUCH thanks to gryzynx for clarifying all the murky and unclear points in applying this.

nali View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nali Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/23/2011 at 8:35pm
Of course it works :)
Glad to see someone finally dare cutting and soldering in an old radio to try this .
Thanks for the thanks Big smile
nali View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nali Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/30/2011 at 3:10am
As I help a member making the modification , I read this tread again and will add a few modifications .

Refering to post from ronilevi :
Yes , a condensor will change the frequency response .
It will work like a low pass filter . The cut off ( not sure it s the right word ), with 220 ohm and 0.05 uF , will be a 6dB filter at about 15000 Hz . So I think Gryzynx made a mistake :)

A 33uF will give a 21 Hz low pass filter , it s a common value and will be better .

As Gryzynx said , a condensor on the "hot"  wire won t help while for ground issues . But a condensor on the ground wire will . It has to be 2x the value of the ones on the hot wire . So let s say a 68 uF , with 220 ohms resistor .

So now you can plug the mp3 player on a charger safelly while pluging it on the radio .
For RC filters , see http://sim.okawa-denshi.jp/en/CRtool.php

electroleyden View Drop Down
AMC Fan
AMC Fan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote electroleyden Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/17/2016 at 2:31pm
hi all,
i am still trying to grasp how this is supposed to be connected. So the way i understand it is:

Connect the ground coming from the radio and the sleeve on the jack to the ground side of the volume,

connect the wiper wire from the radio to the wiper on the volume,

connect the positive from the radio to one side of the shunt in the jack,

connect the ring and tip  on the jack each to a resistor, and then the resistors to each other,

connect the resistors to the positive side of the volume.

is this right?
nali View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nali Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/17/2016 at 10:19pm
Hello, and welcome to the forum.
Remember it's a "fast and ugly" way of doing, so you have to be careful, a bad wiring may destroy your devices.

As everything about electricity, it's not really difficult, but this is full of "in your case, it won't work" :)
So I hope you understand a bit.

"Connect the ground coming from the radio and the sleeve on the jack to the ground side of the volume,"
Yes, and no :)
There are 2 ground in fact. The ground for the power supply of the radio, which is the same as the main car ground : chassis, body, etc.
The other ground is the ground for the audio signal, inside the radio. Most of the time, they are the same.
But basically, I'll answer YES.

"connect the wiper wire from the radio to the wiper on the volume,"
I don't understand this. English is not my native, andfor me wipers are used only when it rains :)
Maybe someone will understand.

"connect the positive from the radio to one side of the shunt in the jack,"
The positive from the radio ? You mean the +12 volt ? No way !!!

"connect the ring and tip  on the jack each to a resistor, and then the resistors to each other,"
The goal here is that most of old radios are not stereo, but mono. So the resistors are used to add left and right signals coming from a mp3 device to a single channel.
In case your radio is stereo, each tip of the jack will have to go to the half of the volume button.

"connect the resistors to the positive side of the volume."
I don't like the "positive" term. It's source of confusion between power supply and audio signal.
But if I understand correctly what you mean, my answer is YES.

You don't seem to know much about all this, so you are right to ask ! :)
So before wiring anything, I strongly suggest you understand really what is to be done.
Or ask a friend with a bit more of knowledge.

I'll be glad to help you, but it will be useful to understand what device you plan to plug on your car radio.
And especially what your car is, which year and which radio model.
For example, since there's no indication on your profile, I can't guess which car you have. If it's an english car, with positive on the boby, some ajustements may be needed :)
If it's a Rambler / AMC, no needs.

If you make clear pictures of the inside, I'll show you exactly where to solder the wires.

Whatever you do, before details, I STRONGLY DISCOURAGE you to plug your Mp3 player / Iphone /Android  on the +12 volt adaptor for the electric lighter, while it's also connected to the radio.
There are (few) chances to destroy it.
So let's play it safe :)

Yours.

Philippe / Nali

electroleyden View Drop Down
AMC Fan
AMC Fan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote electroleyden Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/18/2016 at 7:39am
This is what I am thinking you are talking about
nali View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nali Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/18/2016 at 4:00pm
I'm not sure this will work. It depends how the 1/8 adaptor is inside, and there are so many models that you have to check it with an ohmeter.
So I have difficulties to understand your (nice ! :) ) schematic.

The button volume is the one inside the radio unit, of course.

There are different parts in the radio. The radio AM recevier, maybe a tape player, and they deliever the audio signal.
Then there's the button volume, it's goal is to ajust how much of this signal is send to the internal amplifier.

So, when nothing is pluggued in the 1/8 jack, the Source going to the Source on the button is the same as original. There's no modification needed on the Wiper side, which is connected to the amplifier.

So, basically, when nothing is plugued in the 1/8 jack, your radio should work as usual, the signal coming to the Source side of the volume is the stock one.
It's only when you plug your Mp3 player that the signal comes now from it.

Sorry, it's not so easy to explain while writing, and english is not my language  :)

Johnny View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Johnny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/18/2016 at 10:40pm
I have a 63 American convertible that I wanted to add sound to. The correct Rambler radio internals were junk, it was not push-button and the speaker was toast.

First I went to Walmart and picked up a pair of motor cycle/ATV 12 volt powered speakers that accept an MP3 player input. The pair of small round speakers fit nicely into the original oval speaker opening under the dash. I stored the power unit and MP3 in the glove box.

Next I routed one side of the speakers power cord thru the on/off volume control in the radio. Now, with the MP3 and power unit turned on, I can turn the sound on/off with the radio switch and have great sound coming out of the dash speaker outlet with the radio lit as if working.

I then took the push buttons from a non-Rambler radio and added (bonded) them to the existing radio. I now have a nice looking period correct push-button radio that can play any tunes I program on the MP3 player. 

Kind of neet to pull up to a cruise-in with Wolf Man Jack coming out of the radio. (And, yes the sound is pre-set using the speaker power volume control)
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123
  Share Topic