TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > Suspension, Steering, Brakes & Wheels
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

Ball joints parts confirmation

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tlaferri Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Ball joints parts confirmation
    Posted: Jan/15/2010 at 1:15pm
Was calling various part houses for the upper/lower ball joints for my car (70 AMX), looking for the Moogs. No one has any of the various brands in stock in my area however the guy at Auto zone said the Moog or the Duralast is the same part , just in a different box- anyone confirm if thats true?
Thanks
Terry
ramblinfsj View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ramblinfsj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/15/2010 at 2:12pm
That's probably correct. I've heard Walmart oil (SuperTech I think is the name) is Pennzoil in a different container. Probably the same with the ball joint. I bought O'Reilly Auto's brand of ball joints for my Concord and they were just fine. 
1982 Jeep J-20
1965 Rambler American 220
1978 Jeep Cherokee w/401
1983 Jeep J-10
1979 Concord DL 2dr
kirkwood View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Charter Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kirkwood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/15/2010 at 2:34pm
AFAIK Moog is not the same as duralast. 

AMO Newsletter Editor
billd View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Forum Administrator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote billd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/15/2010 at 3:44pm
I laid the moog next to the local store brand when I was shopping for my parts
I specified and went moog - they were compatible, but not the same part........ (If I recall, the country of origin was different, too)
 There's a difference in the alternator bearings I'm using as well - the seals are different - better, more solid on the more expensive bearings. (I use the more expensive bearings, but for now, have a few NOS bearings and will use then until gone)
Remember, even if MOOG MAKES the part for them, it can and often will be to different specs.....

FuzzFace2 View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FuzzFace2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/16/2010 at 9:32am

I thought the Duralast has a life time warranty? Also how many miles are you going to put on them each year thinking not many.

Dave ----

TSM = Technical Service Manual

75 Gremlin X v8 for sale
70 Javelin 360/auto drag car
70 Javelin 360/T5 Street car
billd View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Forum Administrator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote billd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/16/2010 at 9:36am
They may, just like the cheaper Chinese bearings from O'Reilly have a warranty........ it's to get folks convinced the cheaper parts aren't all that bad more than anything.
I've found the better name brand part won't have a warranty, but lik in the case of the alternator bearings, the cheaper ones, no-name store name ones, that are 3 bucks cheaper, have a warranty.
So................
scott View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote scott Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/16/2010 at 2:21pm
I've used the Duralast front end parts on my daily drivers, but never will again. Their tie rods & ball joints last about 10,000 miles tops & are then junk. A lifetime warranty doesn't mean that the parts are going to last a lifetime, that's for sure. I replaced them with Moogs that cost $20.00 more, & haven't had to replace them in roughly 40,000 miles, & there is still lots of life left in them.

So what if Auto Zone will give you new Duralast parts when they wear out prematurely. You still have to spend the time to install them (again) & probably will have to spring for another alignment if you want things to be right.

Spend more for quality parts up front, & you'll save $$$$ & grief in the long run.
6PakBee View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Charter Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 6PakBee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/16/2010 at 2:34pm
Originally posted by scott scott wrote:

I've used the Duralast front end parts on my daily drivers, but never will again. Their tie rods & ball joints last about 10,000 miles tops & are then junk. A lifetime warranty doesn't mean that the parts are going to last a lifetime, that's for sure. I replaced them with Moogs that cost $20.00 more, & haven't had to replace them in roughly 40,000 miles, & there is still lots of life left in them.

So what if Auto Zone will give you new Duralast parts when they wear out prematurely. You still have to spend the time to install them (again) & probably will have to spring for another alignment if you want things to be right.

Spend more for quality parts up front, & you'll save $$$$ & grief in the long run.

Roger Gazur
1969 'B' Scheme SC/Rambler
1970 RWB 4-spd Machine
1970 Sonic Silver auto AMX

All project cars.

Forum Cockroach
hoosieramc View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hoosieramc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/16/2010 at 3:15pm
Embarrassed  I put a Duralast track bar on our Cherokee. Went through 4 in two years. Got the last one from NAPA still going strong. TwoCents
purple72Gremlin View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted
Charter Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote purple72Gremlin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/16/2010 at 3:35pm
Originally posted by billd billd wrote:

I laid the moog next to the local store brand when I was shopping for my parts
I specified and went moog - they were compatible, but not the same part........ (If I recall, the country of origin was different, too)
 There's a difference in the alternator bearings I'm using as well - the seals are different - better, more solid on the more expensive bearings. (I use the more expensive bearings, but for now, have a few NOS bearings and will use then until gone)
Remember, even if MOOG MAKES the part for them, it can and often will be to different specs.....

Yep, theres a cheaply made MOOG and a good MOOG.......................
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic