TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > Body/Interior
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - 1967 Rambler American 220 2 dr-Headliner Question
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

1967 Rambler American 220 2 dr-Headliner Question

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote loveofjazz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 1967 Rambler American 220 2 dr-Headliner Question
    Posted: Jan/12/2010 at 10:23am
The headliner in my '67 Rambler American is dry-rotted and falling apart. I found two headliners from similar bodied Rambler American two doors, but both were in iffy condition.

I -did- find a great headliner in a 1964 Rambler Classic 550 2 door in a local junkyard.

The dimensions of these vehicles look near identical. The top one is mine. The bottom pic is one found on the web just for reference.

Would it be possible that the two-door Classic headliner would in my two-door American? Has anyone here done this?

Thanks for any replies.
Slinky + Escalator = Everlasting Fun!
hoosieramc View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hoosieramc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/12/2010 at 10:30am
It would probably work. The door panels are the same between the two......
loveofjazz View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote loveofjazz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/12/2010 at 10:50am
Ooooooooooooh...that's awesome to hear.
I'd been fighting an uphill battle on the headliner and the hood emblem for this car for the longest time. I gave up on the hood emblem, but it's been cold enough to want to resolve the headliner issue. I drive this car regularly and while the heat isn't fantastic, it could use the headliner and carpet back in it for whatever help it could offer for insulation.

Guess I'll know Monday when I go to fetch it. :)
hoosieramc View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hoosieramc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/12/2010 at 10:58am
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote loveofjazz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/12/2010 at 11:56am
I thought mine came with the red "A".
I'm not against it, though. It will fill in the spot where the emblem belongs. It looks so...naked.
Freecat1 View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Freecat1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/12/2010 at 12:27pm
If you can get your headliner out in one piece you can coat it with fiberglass resin with no cloth on both sides.  This should stabilize it. Then you can paint it.  This helped me save the rear section of headliner in my wagon. I am always looking to replace the rear section to make it look better.
raysinvegas View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote raysinvegas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/12/2010 at 1:01pm
Originally posted by loveofjazz loveofjazz wrote:

I'm not against it, though. It will fill in the spot where the emblem belongs. It looks so...naked.

'64 had a black "A"
'65 had a red "A"
Both '64 and '65 are larger than the '66-'69
Any of the '66-'69 will fit yours. Wink

BTW I hope it does, but I don't think the Classic headliner will fit without modifications. The Classic is just plain bigger than the American. You might be able to cut one down though. Keep us informed please!!!Big smile

Edited by raysinvegas - Jan/12/2010 at 1:04pm
Andy Ray
64 440H
64 440 Convertible
68 Javelin SST 343
69 Javelin SST 343
69 SC/Rambler
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote loveofjazz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/12/2010 at 4:53pm
Originally posted by Freecat1 Freecat1 wrote:

If you can get your headliner out in one piece you can coat it with fiberglass resin with no cloth on both sides.  This should stabilize it. Then you can paint it.  This helped me save the rear section of headliner in my wagon. I am always looking to replace the rear section to make it look better.

I had heard that before. When my headliner fell in, it was in such bad shape that it crumbled everywhere I grabbed it. I think it's beyond any fiberglass treatment as of now, but I still kept it in case it was needed.

Originally posted by raysinvegas raysinvegas wrote:

Originally posted by loveofjazz loveofjazz wrote:

'64 had a black "A"
'65 had a red "A"
Both '64 and '65 are larger than the '66-'69
Any of the '66-'69 will fit yours. Wink

BTW I hope it does, but I don't think the Classic headliner will fit without modifications. The Classic is just plain bigger than the American. You might be able to cut one down though. Keep us informed please!!!Big smile

Thanks for identifying the hood emblems for me. I'll have to get the seller's info, but for now the headliner is the big concern. One of the Americans I found next to the Classic had aftermarket or home-brew "ribs" that held up the headliner in it. I'm already planning to get those when I return. One way or another, I'll remedy this headliner issue soon enough. If I end up modifying the Classic headliner, I'll be sure to get pics and details.
raysinvegas View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote raysinvegas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/12/2010 at 6:49pm
Actually the '64's (at least) had stainless trim that helped support the headliner. Those might be factory bows! The later headliners did not have the holes in them to attach the bows, but you could always cut them carefully? Wink
Andy Ray
64 440H
64 440 Convertible
68 Javelin SST 343
69 Javelin SST 343
69 SC/Rambler
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote loveofjazz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/13/2010 at 8:22am
Originally posted by raysinvegas raysinvegas wrote:

Actually the '64's (at least) had stainless trim that helped support the headliner. Those might be factory bows! The later headliners did not have the holes in them to attach the bows, but you could always cut them carefully? Wink

As old as this stuff is, the removal will be slow & steady..almost surgical.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic