TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Competition > Autocross, circle track
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

1968 RKE Trans-Am Javelin stuff

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 23456>
Author
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote crazyamc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/15/2012 at 7:26pm
Ronnie Kaplan Engineering :)
Javelin_GT View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Javelin_GT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/15/2012 at 7:27pm
This thread is mostly about using dominators in the 1969 TA season.  

The last entry on page 5 shows the AMC factory part number and picture of the AMC TUnnel Ram.

Edited by Javelin_GT - Jan/15/2012 at 7:32pm
crazyamc View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote crazyamc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/15/2012 at 7:39pm
Thanks Javelin GT....    There were 12 T/A races in '69.....  Javelin entries were; 4 in Michigan,4 Lime Rock, 4 Mid-Ohio, 4 Bridgehampton, 4 Donnybrooke, 3 Bryar (no Grable- wrecked in practice I THINK ).. 3 St. Jovite, 3 Watkins Glen, 3 Laguna Seca, 3 Kent, 4 Sears Point, 4 Riverside.....  from Dave Friedman's book, "Trans Am, the Pony Car Wars"     
68TA#4 View Drop Down
AMC Fan
AMC Fan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 68TA#4 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/16/2012 at 12:13am
Originally posted by 70amcpwr 70amcpwr wrote:

So are you saying in 1969 they built 2 new cars just to bulge the wheel opennings and change the hood? If so where were the 2 1968 cars in 69? Don't recall ever hearing of 4 prePenske Trans-am Javelins running the tracks at the same time, not saying it isn't so, just saying.
Yes, two more Javelins were built for the for the '69 season. There were more changes than just the flares. Roll Cages are slightly different as are the front and rear suspensions. 
Tullius drove the former Revson car for one race (Michigan). The rest of the season Ron Hunter raced that car as an independent. Ted Roberts ran the former Follmer as an independent in '69. 
The irony is that after Ron Hunter died in the mid to late eighties his wife contacted Ted Roberts about the old (Javelin) race car Ron Hunter still had and Ted bought it to go vintage racing. Ted had sold the ex Follmer car in '73.
Ted Roberts also purchased one of the leftover '69 Javelins to run in '70 (Fire Fyter sponsored) as an independent.

343sharpstick View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 343sharpstick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/16/2012 at 9:58am
So the two '69 TA cars are still around somewhere?
Is the Craig Jackson car ('69 with a '70 nose and updated rear flares) one of them, seems like nobody knows the origins of that car.
crazyamc View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote crazyamc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/16/2012 at 12:56pm
I've never seen the car personally; I believe Javelin GT has though....  I'm pretty sure it probably is one. I don't really get why someoneone who obviously KNOWS it's a '69, (taillights, paint scheme) would not have the car restored correctly!?!  It's not like he doesn't have the money...   It's my opinion that there should be at least 2 other true '69's  out there...  Old pics in old mags taken in Kaplan's shop  discussing the upcoming '69 season show 3 cars being built...  There is also a pic in the Dave Friedman book on pg 146 of Gordon Dewar in a flared/bulged hood '69 at Watkin Glen...  It's not likely to be either of the old '68 cars, (Roberts or Hunter) because both of those cars race later in the season, still in '68 style trim..
343sharpstick View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 343sharpstick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/16/2012 at 1:14pm
I saw the Craig Jackson car this summer at Road America. I did not unfortunately get a look under the hood, nor did I crawl under the car, so I got nothin'. Adam has piles of great pictures in his photobucket account.
One of the'69 RKE cars was shipped out of the country, Australia I think.

Also an interesting note on the 69 TA hood, it was available as an entire hood, or a bolt on 'scoop only'.

Edited by 343sharpstick - Jan/16/2012 at 3:17pm
70amcpwr View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 70amcpwr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/16/2012 at 2:07pm

1969 dealer price book, $600 new front suspension for Trans am homogilation (sp?).  I have an unrestored 1969 shell w/the new suspension front clip.

70amcpwr You just can't fix stupid.
SOLD 1970 BBO Javelin, wifes 73 AMX 360 4spd. Next project 1969 AMX
crazyamc View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote crazyamc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/16/2012 at 2:10pm
Clap Would love to see a pic!  Please.....
Javelin_GT View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Javelin_GT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/16/2012 at 2:10pm
" I have an unrestored 1969 shell w/the new suspension front clip."

This would be interesting to see.  Any plans for it?
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 23456>
  Share Topic