TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Lounge Area > Member Projects
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

70 Javelin project

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 11>
Author
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Forum Administrator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote billd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/09/2007 at 4:28am
Talked to body shop a bit ago - supposedly can pickup car this evening. They didn't fix the "dents" on the top of the fenders as they'd hit my $$ limit on the other items, so it's STILL got the "dents" that I originally told Jeff to concentrate on, and he messed up. Arrrgh.
Anyway, have appointment next Wednesday to get the vinyl top installed. Finally, then I can put trim on - oh, wait - still can't do that, not enough clips.
Well, I'll have a vinyl top with no trim and have to make really sure the car stays inside as that will mean a couple dozen holes in the roof right over the new headliner.

MAYBE, I can at least get the spoiler put back on and the hood reassembled with trim and RAM parts?
kirkwood View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Charter Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kirkwood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/09/2007 at 5:06am
I wonder if the top shop would be able to find the clips - I'd assume they do a fair amount of tops and would have a source?
AMO Newsletter Editor
ZX401 View Drop Down
AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ZX401 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/09/2007 at 5:22am
When I put my vinyl top on my Donohue I just used the same wire clips as the rest of the top molding used, and put sealer around them.  As thin as the molding is and with the curves I think it will be hard for them to put the top on without also putting on the molding.  Can you not repair and reuse the corner you have?  I had to do that to mine.  I have since found a pair of good ones, but took 4 years and they are scarce as hen's teeth.

Ed
Make mine big and bad --- green!
PHAT69AMX View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PHAT69AMX Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/09/2007 at 5:22am
billd View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Forum Administrator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote billd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/09/2007 at 5:31am
Well, I can ask if they have clips.
No, the agreement was, and it sounds like they do this alot as it was their idea when I said it was stripped for painting, they install the top, trim it, and I put the trim back on.
Mine was installed with some wire clips, some nylon.  Nylon will seal better by far, and won't scratch the edge of the hole like the wire will when you push them in. Again, I'll hold off as long as I can, but want to do it once, and right ( at least right in my mind, anyway!)
The extension trim has broken pin and was held in place with silicon, well, sort of held in place........ I'll have no choice but to install it broken (and spotted) but am afraid the first person who brushes against the car and snags it..........

I'll give those links a shot - gee, forgot about trying eddie.
I have gotten stuff from him that others didn't have.

Now there's 3 with ideas right in a row there!

The spoiler had a foam ring or gasket around the hole that goes over the trunk lock, sort of like a shield between the spoiler and trunk lid. The old one was there, but sort of distorted. Can I use like that airconditioning foam weatherstrip and make a foam ring to go in there?
I've not seen anyone carry those, although I got a set of the nuts and gaskets to mount the spoiler from one of the major vendors. My nuts were quite rusty and had to cut one of them off.
Wow, left myself open there, eh?
billd View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Forum Administrator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote billd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/09/2007 at 1:44pm
Car is home again. They did a nice job on the hood and trunk lid, and the chipped quarter. Wish the whole car finish was like the hood.
Started putting some more trim back on, and emblems, etc.  Need to put the spoiler back in place after I decide what to do about the foam ring around the trunk lock. It looks almost naked without the spoiler.

purple72Gremlin View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted
Charter Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote purple72Gremlin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/09/2007 at 2:04pm
NICE!
Steve_P View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted
Charter Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Steve_P Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/09/2007 at 10:36pm

Bill:  I make unavailable body and misc (not engine) gaskets using neoprene rubber I buy from mcmaster.  The right thickness and a gasket punch does the trick for me. 

The car is looking good
billd View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Forum Administrator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote billd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/09/2007 at 10:46pm
Thanks.
I'm not happy with how the marker lights are sitting. I bought replacements (identical down to all marks, numbers and dates) that come with a full-length gasket where the originals had a slightly thinner gasket that went around only the square bulb part, not full length. The lights stick out a bit in the middle due to the gasket and it's thickness - after all, the lights are only plastic, even the "chromed trim" is plastic, so they flex a bit when you install them. I think I'm going to go back to the original style gasket behind the markers and scrap what came with these lights. They just seem too thick and bulky. In fact, in the photo, you can see how the one light sticks out in the middle. Bugs the heck outta me.

All the SEL guys like McMaster-Carr, can get almost anything there it seems. gaskets, sealers, fasteners, etc. and when restoring 100 year old stuff, we need all the help we can get on special items.

Edited by billd - Aug/09/2007 at 10:48pm
PHAT69AMX View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PHAT69AMX Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/10/2007 at 12:27am
Coming toether very nicely Cool

Your story is why I've hesitated to get my entire car painted in 22 years of ownership Ermm

Have had quarters fixed and paint blended to top of quarters,
Truink Lid, Hood, front Fender Extensions painted,
but fear "body shop limbo" and all those pesky little pieces
required for the post painting re-assembly.
But once all the hurdles are cleared, it does look very "handsome" Wink
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 11>
  Share Topic