TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > AMC V8 Engine Repair and Modifications
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

FAST EZ-EFI Project

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 12>
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
whizkidder View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote whizkidder Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: FAST EZ-EFI Project
    Posted: Mar/16/2011 at 4:29pm
I knew about the fuel problem, but I had just sprung for a new repop tank, and didn't want to alter anything on the car I didn't have to.
Ron Frost
marne1ancient @ gmail.com
910 nine two two 0563

"There is no limit to what a man can do, so long as he does not care a straw who gets credit for it. Charles Montague
Traveller View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Traveller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/16/2011 at 2:49pm

I know that this is a bit late in the game for your install, but there are other options for fuel pickup.  There's now (as of this weekend) an in-tank pump option from FAST, and there's also custom tanks that already have fuel injection wells with pumps in them available.  It's a bit more money, but then they don't aerate the fuel by returning right near the pickup, don't starve under acceleration or cornering and are already setup for the level sender and return.  They have a baffled well around the pump like the newer factory cars do.  Basically a bolt-in option.  The tanks aren't cheap at around $1000 or so, but that includes the pump and sender for fuel injection already installed.  Plus, the tanks are TIG welded stainless steel so look nice and will continue to look nice. 

slownugly View Drop Down
AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote slownugly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/16/2011 at 2:36pm
im doing the swap this weekend on my v8 focus. instead of the throttle body kit i went with the multiport retrofit kit and pieced together the necessary hardware to do that. its on a small block ford but ill see how it goes.
28 model a                  73 gremlin drag car

74 gremlin project

00focus v8 5speed

hot rod rollback
68 american mpg project
HURSTSSAMX69 View Drop Down
AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HURSTSSAMX69 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/16/2011 at 10:11am
Sweetness! Glad it works good, I'm sure the few set back's are expected on new system.

Sounds like it once fine tuned you end up with nice running unit ? ? ?
Mike
1953 REO M48 w/w.
1962 GMC C3000.
1966 Rambler Classic.
1969 AMC AMX-390.
1982 Chevy C30 diesel.

Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote whizkidder Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/16/2011 at 10:01am
Have had some PM inquiries about how I'm getting along with the FAST EZ EFI (from folks whose PM boxes are full...Confused), so thought I'd post a quick summary of issues here for anyone interested.

Issues since initial installation:

1) Bad connector in the wiring harness heated up and caused an electrical fire.  FAST sent a new harness, and no issues since (~10,000 miles).

2) Ported vacuum port gave full manifold vacuum, so I plugged it, and re-drilled it slightly up the bore, fixing the problem.

3) TPS went bad -- FAST sent a new one, and in the meantime I badgered them into giving me the GM part numbers for all the sensors in the system.

4) Under acceleration, fuel would slosh to the back of the tank, uncovering the stock pickup, and causing a loss of fuel pressure.  I got a 2 qt. "surge tank" off Ebay with 4 hose barbs, moved the EFI pump to the frame rail in the engine compartment, added a stock mechanical pump to fill the surge tank, and plumbed the EFI system to draw from and return to the surge tank.  The 4th barb returns excess fuel from the surge tank to the main tank.

5) The system is very sensitive to exhaust leaks in front of the O2 sensor.  My original down pipes were not aligned correctly to my log manifolds, and kept burning out the donut, allowing air to get in the pipe, and causing the ECU to enrich the fuel mixture.  When I switched out to free-flows, I fabbed up my own 2 1/4" pipes, ensuring exact alignment, and have (permanently, I think) solved that issue.

After the programmable MSD box I was using for RPM and MAP advance curves died the second time, I scrapped it in favor of a Pertronix III conversion module and Crane adjustable vacuum advance can.  I had a bit too much advance at cruise, so have been ratcheting that back in 2 degree increments using the limiter cam that came in the Crane kit.  Think I finally have it about right.

Drove the car from Atlanta to Huntsville and back last Saturday -- over 500 miles round trip, and nary a cough or stumble.  Throttle response is great.

I really like the system, and would (and will) do it again on my next project.

FWIW, with my old Holley 750, I was getting just less than 10 MPG.  With the FAST, I averaged just over 11.5 on the Saturday trip to AL.  Your mileage may vary.
Ron Frost
910 nine two two 0563

"There is no limit to what a man can do, so long as he does not care a straw who gets credit for it. Charles Montague
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote whizkidder Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/12/2010 at 7:22am
Originally posted by MangyMutt MangyMutt wrote:

Great write-up...thank you.

I must know...has you MPG improved any?  I am seriously considering using spending the $ and getting the EZ-EFI system.  It just seems to simple not to...and its auto-tuning capability seems to work very well as reported by other users (of the usual brands, though) which is GREAT because I have a stock cam right now but will be swapping it out sooner or later...along with some other goodies.

Thanks in advance and thanks again for the write-up.

Best guess is about 10% better.  Maybe a bit more.  I've just learned that the carb I replaced was jacked up, so maybe if it had been straight, the mileage increase would have been less.

Nonetheless, I'd do it again just for the driveability, even if it wasn't a bit better on mileage.
Ron Frost
910 nine two two 0563

MangyMutt View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MangyMutt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/11/2010 at 4:20am
Great write-up...thank you.

I must know...has you MPG improved any?  I am seriously considering using spending the $ and getting the EZ-EFI system.  It just seems to simple not to...and its auto-tuning capability seems to work very well as reported by other users (of the usual brands, though) which is GREAT because I have a stock cam right now but will be swapping it out sooner or later...along with some other goodies.

Thanks in advance and thanks again for the write-up.
82 AMC\Jeep :: AMC360 :: 7" Lift :: Other Stuff and Things
Zimo View Drop Down
AMC Fan
AMC Fan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Zimo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/23/2010 at 7:43am
I can't wait to get started on this. This thread has inspired me.
I need to rewire my MSD & take care of a few minor things first. I'll keep you posted.
Thanks!

Edited by Zimo - Jun/23/2010 at 7:39pm
poormansMACHINE View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted
Charter Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote poormansMACHINE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/22/2010 at 9:22pm
Originally posted by Zimo Zimo wrote:

If you read the description, the diode elimanates any power surge...

The diode is on the coil side, not the load side. Load surges would still be present.
Also I believe it was determined that the failure was harness related and not relay failure.
needafasterAMX View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote needafasterAMX Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/22/2010 at 9:18pm
The OEM relays that I have pulled apart has diode in them for that.
74 AMX, 401
Viper spec T56 6 speed trans
Hydroboost brakes with rear disks from a Avenger
3:73 TG rear,now Trutrac with 3:15
A Turbo is in my future.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 12>
  Share Topic