TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > AMC 6 Cylinder Engine Repair and Modifications
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

Harmonic Balancer

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 1974Javelin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Harmonic Balancer
    Posted: Nov/28/2009 at 1:27pm
So, yesterday I found out the Harmonic balancer was two pieces when pulling it Confused Is there an easy way to put it back together? also, the rubber sealing piece is torn, but I am able to put it flush on the inside of the pulley part. <-- 258 six
Thanks

Edited by 1974Javelin - Nov/28/2009 at 1:28pm
1974 Javelin 258, getting there!

2006 Mustang 4.0 V6
FuzzFace2 View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FuzzFace2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/28/2009 at 2:14pm

As you found out you tried to remove it with the wrong type puller. You need the type that uses the bolts that hold the pulley on and not pull on the outer ring.

I have not used the place below but hear of other that have. Or could post in the wanted section for a used one.

http://www.damperdoctor.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=SFNT&Store_Code=DD

http://www.damperdoctor.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=CTGY&Store_Code=DD&Category_Code=AMC

Dave ----

TSM = Technical Service Manual

75 Gremlin X v8 for sale
70 Javelin 360/auto drag car
70 Javelin 360/T5 Street car
1974Javelin View Drop Down
AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 1974Javelin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/28/2009 at 2:38pm
Dangit, well I found a used one for $25 so I guess I will get that one.

2006 Mustang 4.0 V6
AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 1974Javelin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/06/2009 at 2:08pm
Ok, I got a used harmonic balancer, and my only question is the seal featured in the engine exploded view diagram. Everything is put together except the balancer, but on the diagram I can't tell if the seal is behind the crankshaft sprocket, goes on with the balancer, or goes elsewhere. 

2006 Mustang 4.0 V6
poormansMACHINE View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted
Charter Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote poormansMACHINE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/06/2009 at 4:44pm
The seal is pressed into the timing cover. The snout of the balancer will slip into it.
AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 1974Javelin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/06/2009 at 11:06pm
Thanks, I also thought some of you would like to see the progress of my new motor, I also have 2 questions (after 4th pic)

Back from the machine shop

Q1:Do I still need this?
When I have this?

Q2: The balancer I bought says it is used on 64-79 232/258, I have been using a wooden block and hammer to put it on, and so
far this is as far as I could get it. Is the same balancer used on the years stated above?

This is about 5/8 of an inch till it meets the end of the balancer

2006 Mustang 4.0 V6
poormansMACHINE View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted
Charter Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote poormansMACHINE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/07/2009 at 4:09pm
Technically you're not supposed to beat it into submission (no hammer).
There's an installation tool that screws into the crank then a bearing and nut to draw ity down. Don't use the bolt either. You'll strip the crank.
bill92250 View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bill92250 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/07/2009 at 6:37pm
I did the same thing to my 304.  Pep boys sells the 'off' tool for under $20.  Found a new balancer on ebay for about $100.  for the v8's its the same balancer with different counterwieghts [included].   The coil for the electronic ignition is the black part on the top, so the MSD can go on a shelf.  I was able to get an on tool from autozone on their tool loan last time, but I'm still pissed at them for giving me the wrong puller in the first place.....
wrk
bill92250 View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bill92250 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/07/2009 at 6:41pm
there was still some gap on my motor when the balancer was fully seated, but only like 1/4".  there's probably a mark on the old one to get an idea from....
wrk
AMC instigator View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AMC instigator Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/07/2009 at 7:41pm
It has to go up almost touching the cover. A brass hammer or the piece of wood is not such a bad idea on a used short block. But all new, not so good, however, you can use the bolt, if you can thread it in to the crank a good 1/2 inch before using it to tighten the rest of the way. If it doesn't reach the 1/2 inch get an installer tool.  If you did not coat the seal, with some grease and the balancer snout the same, do it now with spray white lithiunm grease to prvent seal from sticking to the HB hub while it sits a bit before start up. Do not use wd-40 it will dry up by then. SH
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic