TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > Body/Interior
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

1974 Gremlin X door interchange

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
gremlinx View Drop Down
AMC Fan
AMC Fan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gremlinx Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 1974 Gremlin X door interchange
    Posted: Oct/24/2009 at 4:23pm
Ok he got the doors off a 79 or 80 Eagle and it was the same body style as our 74 Gremlin X except the grill and tail lights are different.  seems to measure up the same. 
GremlinXman View Drop Down
AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GremlinXman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/24/2009 at 6:30am
Ok, There are differences in the door of different years and different models. The early 70-72 doors are the same and are lighter as the metal is thiner and no crash beams. 73 the crash beam was introduced, it is inside the door. The roof line changed in 79 with the introduction of the spirit hatch back. As mentioned, the window frame was lowered about 1/2 inch in the rear of the door. All you need to do to make it fit a gremlin is cut the weld where the window frame meets the door by the door handle, and raise it to the proper height( I rec installing the door and raising it with the door shut) then reweld it. I dont ever recall changing the glass. Almost pos. its the same for all years.
 Davis
72 Gremlin X was 360 Auto ran 12.6 @ 107 now 406 CI Auto 11.035 @ 121
72Javelin View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 72Javelin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/21/2009 at 7:09am
g-man:
I've not dealt with this issue first-hand, so I'm working off of information I've gotten from other AMCers. My understanding is that this issue is model-related, not year related. So, I have no idea whether 77 is a breaking point.
Jeff Reeves
Auburn, GA
AMO Technical Editor

Currently AMC-less after 30+ years
g-man View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote g-man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/20/2009 at 11:48pm
Originally posted by 72Javelin 72Javelin wrote:

to clarify my previous post:
The entire lower part of the door is identical for all two-door Hornet/Gremlin/Concord/Spirit/Eagle models.
As stated, the only potential conflict might be the height of the window frame at the rear upper corner.
If necessary, the spot welds at the base of the rear of the window frame can be drilled and the window frame repositioned whereever necessary.
The difference is minor enough that there isn't a Gremlin-specific door weatherstrip--you'll use a weatherstrip that fits ALL the two-door Hornet based cars.

Jeff,

Correct me if I'm wrong...I understood that ALL the window frames were identicle for these cars if it was within a certain time frame.
For example: from approximately '77 up all the doors & frames were the same, also, all '76  and earlier doors & frames are the same. I am not 100% sure, but I recall '77 being the first year of change in the frames.
Does this sound right to you??

g-man
AMC only daily driver
72Javelin View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 72Javelin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/20/2009 at 8:52pm
to clarify my previous post:
The entire lower part of the door is identical for all two-door Hornet/Gremlin/Concord/Spirit/Eagle models.
As stated, the only potential conflict might be the height of the window frame at the rear upper corner.
If necessary, the spot welds at the base of the rear of the window frame can be drilled and the window frame repositioned whereever necessary.
The difference is minor enough that there isn't a Gremlin-specific door weatherstrip--you'll use a weatherstrip that fits ALL the two-door Hornet based cars.
Jeff Reeves
Auburn, GA
AMO Technical Editor

gremlinx View Drop Down
AMC Fan
AMC Fan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gremlinx Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/20/2009 at 9:58am
thank for the tips everyone.  i will show my husband your replies and if anyone else has any information let us know.  We can't find a Gremlin driver's side door anywhere up here in Ontario!
kwkslvr73 View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kwkslvr73 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/20/2009 at 8:44am
read somewhere that the window frame is just pushed in farther and you can cut the weld, pull it up and re-weld it. Still would have to use the orig. gremlin glass. Haven't tried it myself.
360 5-speed orig owner...
pacerman View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pacerman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/19/2009 at 11:18pm
The Spirit sedan  (Gremlin or Kammback body style) will fit with not modifications.  The Spirit hatchback door has a different window outline but the lower door dimensions are the same as the Gremlin.  You could use the Spirit hatchback door but you will need to exchange the window and window frame with the Gremlin.  Joe 
Happiness is making something out of nothing.
gremlin1945 View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gremlin1945 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/19/2009 at 10:23pm

Isn't there a difference in the window frame Angle?I might be wrong but I think the only straight interchange is with a hornet,concord.But then I may be wrong.

Edited by gremlin1945 - Oct/19/2009 at 10:23pm
former NHRA #1945

former IHRA #1945

T/SA
72Javelin View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 72Javelin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/19/2009 at 9:04pm
Yes, it will.
Jeff Reeves
Auburn, GA
AMO Technical Editor

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic