TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > Tool Time tool review and eval area
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

Air compressor location

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>
Author
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote xtm10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Air compressor location
    Posted: Aug/27/2009 at 8:20am
I hope i am posting this in the correct spot. I recently added on to the garage of my house going from a 1 car to a 3 plus car, it is 22ft wide and 32 ft deep and the front 2 bays are 2 stories high. i was thinking of putting my craftsman 5hp 30gal. air compressor up top on a platform in the rafters/attic area and run the lines down, as well as a  switch and water drain for the tank down to the lower area. My brother seems to think this was a bad idea as this will shake and be heard easily in the house. i seem to think that if i pad the floor correctly that i put the compressor on i should be fine, but he kind of got me thinking. so does anyone have any ideas on rafter/attic compressor placement ? ? ?
68 SS/AMX clone
79 CJ7 Golden Eagle 304/turbo400
85 CJ7 w/chevy 350
jkarisny View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jkarisny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/27/2009 at 9:13am
I like to put my compressor as far away from my work area as possible. I would think if you padded the floor, and had some sort of wall insulation, that the sound wouldn't be that bad. Plus, unless you are running the compressor nonstop for hours (not recommended) it would be tolerable.

I built a small "shed" outside my garage that is just big enough for the compressor. It's insulated, and has 2 vent fans. Nobody can hear it. Works good for my application.
You can do things the right way or the wrong way.

Or you can do it MY way...which is like the wrong way, only faster.
Wrambler View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wrambler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/27/2009 at 9:59am
If you plan to do any finish paint work, don't put it up there...
I won't even get into the fumes issue with paint if it is attached and it sounds like it is.
Now, I will admit I have painted in an attached garage, but I did built an exhaust unit that put the entire house into negative pressure and exited through a panel in  a garage door. Still not a good idea.

The issue with the compressor up above is that it will jar dust loose an drop it into the paint, no matter how well it is insulated.  Otherwise, with no painting being done, I think an insulated booth and thick pads will do the trick if you plan it carefully, use a flex hose for your hardline coupling. Place the compressor as far from the house as humanly possible.  Run your airline out from the compressor and UP to the highest point you can get to. The idea is to allow any moisture to drop back to the tank so that it does not head out into the main lines. Use a long hard line for your tank drain, the tank should last forever if you run the hard line in such away any condensate drops out of the tank and into the line.

I know there are other details to doing it right, but that's a start.
Wrambler
69 AMC Rambler
4.0L, 5 speed
2015 Grand Cherokee Limited
2019 Chrysler 300
turbo View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote turbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/27/2009 at 11:51am
No, keep it handy in the work area.  You will need to drain the tank frequently with that small a compressor and you just won't do it if it's not handy.  Vibration is an issue also.  
they call me Capt RETIRED!
billd View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Forum Administrator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote billd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/27/2009 at 12:27pm
I know a couple painters who have the compressors sitting up on the top of the office area built into their shops. TALL shop building, with a small room built into the corner and the compressor up there. Line run down with a ball valve at the bottom so they simply walk over and drain the water from the tank every day. Plus, any water then runs down and sits in the pipe, not the tank.
Mine sits under the stairs.
There are times I drain it 2 or 3 times a day, it's that bad here.
I still need to run the air lines up and over to the bench, and another to the area between the overhead doors, maybe one to the back as well.

The shop I worked at for years in Altoona - we moved the compressor outside to a "dog house" the boss built onto the side of the shop building. It was heated with strip heaters, and vented. Worked fine. No noise but accessable. You can run a pipe from the bottom of the tank to where-ever it's handy to drain it. But do drain it. The old Craftsman I have, well, the tank sounds a bit soft if you tap the bottom with a wrench now. I failed to maintain it properly. Not bad, though, for over 20 years old.

I just got this one this summer:

Edited by billd - Aug/27/2009 at 12:29pm
xtm10 View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote xtm10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/27/2009 at 1:51pm
Nice compressor ! , i don't have stairs going up, i am planning on a heavy duty pulldown staircase, my goal here is to get as much as possible off the floor, part of the reason for the 2nd story, plain old storage !  i know i could find a good spot up hi. As far a painting i really don't plan on doing any, but that could of course change, i am planning on insulating and sheet rocking the garage in the future. i know i could plumb a drain tube down to ground level to get rid of the condensation that way, and with an on/off switch at ground level i could control and maintain everything from the ground and takeup almost no room. 
68 SS/AMX clone
85 CJ7 w/chevy 350
67RogueX-Code View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 67RogueX-Code Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/27/2009 at 2:26pm
The biggest problem I see regarding putting your compressor "upstairs", is figuring out how to build a pad that'll isolate the vibrations, and stop them from transferring to the floor joists... if you don't, that building will RUMBLE like crazy... literally sending vibrations through the entire structure.
Bob Wilcox

67RogueX-Code
xtm10 View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote xtm10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/27/2009 at 2:46pm
Originally posted by 67RogueX-Code 67RogueX-Code wrote:

The biggest problem I see regarding putting your compressor "upstairs", is figuring out how to build a pad that'll isolate the vibrations, and stop them from transferring to the floor joists... if you don't, that building will RUMBLE like crazy... literally sending vibrations through the entire structure.

Yeah, i have been thinking about that one a lot, i have a bunch of ideas, but without trying them , i don't know what will work, and i really don't want to lug the thing up and down any more then i have too. 
68 SS/AMX clone
85 CJ7 w/chevy 350
6768rogues View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 6768rogues Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/27/2009 at 8:47pm
I would be concerned about the weight of the compressor and vibrations. If you do it, build a strong platform that is braced well and will not pull or push on a wall or the roof, and make your connections by through bolting. It would ruin your day if nails vibrated loose and the compressor landed on something important. Weight and vibrations would make me find another location. The mass of the platform has a lot to do with the transmission of vibrations. If you could install an elevated concrete pad, you could make it work.
Content intended for mature audiences. If you experience nausea or diarrhea, stop reading and seek medical attention.

Located usually near Rochester, NY and sometimes central FL.
purple72Gremlin View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted
Charter Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote purple72Gremlin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/27/2009 at 9:15pm
My compressor is the same brand as billd's   (BlackMax) 5hp, 25 gal tank. have had it for 15 years
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>
  Share Topic