TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > Suspension, Steering, Brakes & Wheels
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

Checking ball joint wear on a 68 AMX

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 348AMX Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Checking ball joint wear on a 68 AMX
    Posted: Aug/26/2009 at 11:28am
  Does the normal "test" of jacking up the front end with tires off the ground and grabbing the tire at 12 and 6 o'clock work on a trunnion suspension to check for balljoint play???  I dont have any play when I do this but wouldnt the coil spring be putting pressure on the lower control arm so that any play in the balljoint would be "taken up".    I havent lubed the ball joints since the intitial install 4 years ago the passenger side boot is torn and the NOS control arm joint makes me uncomfortable...there isnt any wandering on the highway but I wonder If I should replace theme with new ones for maintanance...also want to throw some KYB shocks to help stiffin up the corners a bit....lastly how much benefit is there to subframe connectors on a 40+ year old AMX!!!?
billd View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Forum Administrator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote billd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/26/2009 at 12:29pm
That doesn't work well for most suspensions.
You need to place a wood block between the upper arms and the chassis to support the upper arms and spring. Let the suspension hang - then look for VERTICAL play as much if not more than side play.  When the spring is pushing down and the lower arm is at such an angle, you are into unworn areas and can't accurately detect wear.
For a car with the spring on the lower arm, you'd raise the car by the lower arm and let the wheel hang with the arm supported level, at near operating position.
On upper springs, you need to keep the spring up and the arms at a near level position.

It's grease-able and you have not lubed it in 4 years?

AND it's got a torn boot?
Replace 'em.

poormansMACHINE View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted
Charter Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote poormansMACHINE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/26/2009 at 12:38pm
Originally posted by 348AMX 348AMX wrote:

.lastly how much benefit is there to subframe connectors on a 40+ year old AMX!!!?

Can't hurt it. I'm currently building a pair for my Ambassador.
billd View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Forum Administrator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote billd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/26/2009 at 12:43pm
Benefit depends on your torque or HP level - how much will your engine want to twist the car, but it can't hurt a thing IMO. Keeps things more rigid and in alignment.
348AMX View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 348AMX Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/26/2009 at 1:37pm
I think I'll replace the ball joints its easy enough to do and peace of mind is priceless.  The passenger side does have a riveted OE balljoint will I be able to use my dremel to grind out the rivests easily enough?

As for the subframe connectors..I didnt realise how much this old AMX flexes until I bought a 2006 WRX STI for a daily driver...so I am just a bit more concious of body twist now...so I may take a welding course at Wentworth Institute of Tech in Boston.
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted
Charter Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote poormansMACHINE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/26/2009 at 4:28pm
Dremel to cut out the rivets? Better buy about 10 more of those.
348AMX View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 348AMX Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/26/2009 at 5:03pm
Originally posted by poormansMACHINE poormansMACHINE wrote:

Dremel to cut out the rivets? Better buy about 10 more of those.

Have you done this before?  Is it easier to "drill" them out?  I have the diamond impregnated dremel grinders and I cut through the rear leaf spring Eye bolts with that, but a drill bit may be more precise?
Peter Marano View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Peter Marano Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/26/2009 at 7:55pm
I have always used a chisel and a large hammer.
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted
Charter Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote poormansMACHINE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/26/2009 at 8:15pm
Originally posted by Peter Marano Peter Marano wrote:

I have always used a chisel and a large hammer.

That's what I've always used until I got lazy and bought an air chisel.
billd View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Forum Administrator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote billd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/26/2009 at 8:17pm
???????????? torch! takes seconds.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic