TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Competition > Autocross, circle track
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

Racecar building

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 28>
Author
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote prostreetamx Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/10/2010 at 9:59am
My Donohue was a 360 car and did not have a special block. I swapped in a 401 since the motor was blown up with no heads when I got it.
Richard Payne

Las Vegas,NV

72 5.7 Hemi Javelin

77 Prostreet 401/727 AMX,

[/URL]
JavMD View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JavMD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/15/2010 at 9:40am
winged spirit:

Thanks for info on roll cage (back a page or so)  but for my racing, it will strictly stay 'funday' at nelson or would like to try BlackHawk Farms and will google for other places for 'fundays'.

At my age,  all I want to do is drive around a couple times.. and that does it for me... lol.   But I want safety.. so i would like to view the seat belts... if they are still for sale, don't hold them for me.

TO prostreet AMX,  what are the (simple) steps to post a photograph.. in layman terms, non computer literate language ! lol
BDR
prostreetamx View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote prostreetamx Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/15/2010 at 1:57pm
I have most of my photos already on PhotoBucket.com so all I have to do is click on the link on thier sight for forum posting. I ctrl C that link and ctrl V that link into my replys. This method automatically formats the pic to be added to the post.
Richard Payne

Las Vegas,NV

72 5.7 Hemi Javelin

77 Prostreet 401/727 AMX,

[/URL]
AMX Chipster View Drop Down
AMC Fan
AMC Fan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AMX Chipster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/15/2010 at 2:24pm

I too wish I could figure out how to "easily" post a photo.

I have a 401 in my 79 spirit amx and, if I'm not mistaken, it's the same block as a 304. It is a small block and the the weight distribution is not that bad in my car. I think it's about 54/46 front/rear. I do run with a dry sump with the tank and battery are behind the passenger seat. I had a different car like my present one that I ended up rolling in a race because of the rear end coming around without warning. My new amx has a panhard rod that corrected that completely. Even with over 500 hp the rear end stays in line coming out of corners.

I race high speed autocross at Blackhawk farms and it is a gas. My group is Midwestern Council and you should come out and try it. They also have instruction at day long schools that are well worth the minimal costs. If you want to try your car there, that's a great way to do it. Even at a race, they will let you go out with instructers. Here's the link:

http:www.mcscc.org/

Chip
JavMD View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JavMD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/15/2010 at 3:39pm
TO: Chip AMX Chipster !

I just bought a 79 AMX in May 09,  put in a rebuilt T5, rebuilt the front brakes, didn't do anything to the rear and should have tighten the rear brakes to minimize whipping around on the track.
BUT what is a
PANhard ROD? and the battery behind passenger seat , what 'tank' is behind the passenger seat?

Any pictures of your set up etc please send to ohiomale03@yahoo.com    I have a 401 on an engine stand I hope to rebuild and put in it, probably connect to a T4 so I could also place it in a 70 Javelin
BDR
AMC Fan
AMC Fan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AMX Chipster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/15/2010 at 4:49pm

BDR

I have a t5 tranny too, it works well. The tank behind the passenger seat is a 3 gallon tank for the oil (dry sump). I have no rear seat because of the roll bar that's in there. A panhard rod is a bar that ties to the rear end and keeps it from moving sideways. It doesn't sound that good but works great, if done right. My old 79 was sideways often, but sometimes it would just snap and I'd loose it. That never happens with this new 79. Also, it's neutral! I never had a car that would start to slide and the front and the rear loose grip at the same time. If I could figure out how to put pictures on here I would show you. I will send an e-mail to you.

Chip
AMC Fan
AMC Fan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AMX Chipster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/15/2010 at 4:53pm
One other thing. I did a lot of work on my brakes, if you change things let me know. I put 14" rotors on the front, and have 12" on the back. 6 Piston calipers front, proportioning valve, ect.
GreggR View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GreggR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/22/2010 at 10:23pm
No matter where you go, there you are... Buckaroo Banzai.'75 Hornet Hatchback
jparker View Drop Down
AMC Fan
AMC Fan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jparker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/12/2010 at 12:20am
shoot me a message when you are going out, please.  i have a fiero prepped for scca that i would love to run again.  a season of racing isn't in the budget, but a couple fundays sure are!
jp
JavMD View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JavMD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/14/2010 at 2:44pm
I want to drop in a 401 i have on the engine stand but also due to severe budget restraints not sure what to do: either (redue the engine or merely drop it in and race and see what happens)

Proably leaning towards engine braces, put an aluminum edelbrock air gap manifold on that I already have and the 650cfm Holley headers and test on stand to see what happens, if seems good, put it in.   bromano215@roadrunner.com
BDR
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 28>
  Share Topic