TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Competition > Autocross, circle track
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

Racecar building

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 28>
Author
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JavMD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/28/2009 at 2:05pm
well... i'm such a rookie I have no idea what belts I should go with,  what do these 3'' shoulder and lap belts 'look' like, connection points etc.  hope to put in the roll cage come spring.  thanks
BDR
Surbski View Drop Down
AMC Fan
AMC Fan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Surbski Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/29/2009 at 3:26pm
The 401 sounds awfully heavy and hot roddy to put on a road track.  I know if you put your foot through the peddle on the back straight of Nelson Ledges you may just end up off the left side of the track in the ditch... or worse on your top.

Brian in Colorado has a built 401 in his AMX tube rail drag car--pushing 1,000 hp... this is what I think of when I think of a 401 in a race car.

I'd be interested to know why AMC used a built 290 in the 68 and 69 Jav Trans Am cars.  This seems awfully small.  They two other bigger options...   
Surbski View Drop Down
AMC Fan
AMC Fan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Surbski Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/29/2009 at 3:27pm
I might be interested in those belts...
Surbski View Drop Down
AMC Fan
AMC Fan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Surbski Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/29/2009 at 3:32pm
When it comes to cages, let the video on the attached link at Jalopnik be an inspiration, and do it right.  Bolt-ins can really be screwed up... make sure they're reinforced by solid plating.  Know your stuff or have someone else that does do it.

http://jalopnik.com/5390929/mustang-crash-gallery//gallery/2
tyrodtom View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tyrodtom Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/29/2009 at 8:13pm
   At the time Trans Am rules limited displacement to 5 liters, or 305 ci, and it had to be a stock based block, the 290 was all AMC had under that displacement at the time, until they came out with the 304. Ford had the Boss 302, GM came up with a 301-302.
   Trans Am changed their rules every year, later on seems like they allowed 6 liter displacement.
66 American SW, 66 American 2dr, 82 J10, 70 Hornet, Pound, Va.
JavMD View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JavMD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/01/2010 at 12:09pm
thanks for the tip on the roll cage, already bought a pre-assembled one, came with 'solid' 3/8 inch plates,  seems like the original 1979" roll cage was the same,  (actually took pictures of the #1 car owned by Contrell in Minnesota, this fall).   But I'll check out the web site, after watching youtube videos on Nelson Ledges and Blackhawk farm and others 'wreaking', safety sure is important.
BDR
JavMD View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JavMD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/01/2010 at 12:16pm
regarding the 401 and my Nelson Ledges 1979 AMX, acceleration out of the turns is an absolute must.  I also have a 70 Javelin.  If this engine turns out too powerful, then I could transfer it to the Javelin.  Regarding weigh, at least aluminum heads and alum intake manifold will help,  I would like to get the all alum Holly but way too expensive.

Any ideas on the 401 CAM?  that I should use for 2 mile road raceing???? thanks
BDR
WingedSpirit View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WingedSpirit Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/01/2010 at 10:17pm
Let me get a part number for you on those belts so you can see what they are.

Check the rules on roll cage design for SCCA & NASA. Once you start doing track days the bug will bite at some time to race it. Don't discover later (like me) it needs to be redone to be legal.

NASA competition roll cage rules starting on page 62.

SCCA competition roll cage rules starting on page 83.
Straightaways are for fast cars...turns are for fast drivers
WingedSpirit View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WingedSpirit Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/01/2010 at 10:27pm
We started out with an Engle K-7 then went to a K-8 in our road race 401.
Both worked great.  K-8 made more power of course and still had good torque off the corners.
Our new roller cam by Barry Allen is even better!
What other modifications are you doing to your 401? What RPM's are you planning on running?
We have a 3.89 gear with a 14X27.5" Goodyear slick.  8000 RPM tops. we are seeing 7700rpm
at the end of the back straight at Nelsons Ledges.
Changing to a 3.70 to keep revs lower and get top speed up. 

Edited by WingedSpirit - Jan/01/2010 at 10:32pm
Straightaways are for fast cars...turns are for fast drivers
SCCAJavelin View Drop Down
AMC Fan
AMC Fan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SCCAJavelin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/08/2010 at 9:26am
Originally posted by tyrodtom tyrodtom wrote:

At the time Trans Am rules limited displacement to 5 liters, or 305 ci, and it had to be a stock based block, the 290 was all AMC had under that displacement at the time, until they came out with the 304. Ford had the Boss 302, GM came up with a 301-302.

Correct.  Mostly.  Trans-Am indeed had a 5.0 liter limit back then.  The 68-69 AMCs were short-stroke 290s that were bored out to the 305 limit--these were the RKE team cars.  In 1970 some of the rules were changed as to how the 5.0 liters could be arrived at (specifically destroking), and when Penske took over the AMC team, they destroked 360s (forged steel Moldex cranks) to get down to the 305 limit...and also did things like introduce dry-sump oiling.  The production AMC 304 (3.77x3.44) as we knew it was never a 'race' motor. 

There is some conjecture regarding the 1970-71 Trans-Am  engine blocks.  It is said that "Special" 360 blocks were cast with extra webbing to allow for 4-bolt mains--and these were used in some of the 2501 "Donohue Edition" Javelins made to meet the homoligation limits for SCCA.  Others say that the SR (Service Replacement) blocks were used--and that they also had the beefier castings--and because they were a standard part, did not need to be homoligated...and as such the Donohue Javelins actually all had 'regular' 360s or 390s in them.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 28>
  Share Topic