TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > Transmission & Drivetrain
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

Electronic Speed Sensor for Speedo

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
AMC Fan
AMC Fan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lew Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Electronic Speed Sensor for Speedo
    Posted: Jul/20/2009 at 11:39pm
I am replacing the gauges in our 71 Javelin and I am looking at putting an electronic speedo in it. I am curious if anyone knows what sender to use on the tranny to couple with the gauge. We are looking at possibly the Autometer ES Series gauges.

Lew

Wrambler View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wrambler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/21/2009 at 10:40am
I used a simple screw on speed sender listed for a 91 Jeep Wrangler, Dodge Dakota.
It screws on the speedo sendor from any Chrysler trans and has no mechanical output unlike most or the aftermarket ones that have the pass through leaving the output covered with a plastic cap or whatever.
   I got mine from a Jeep guy for like $10 used. new they can be had for around $50-60.
From 91 up most of the Jeeps use a non pass through speed sensor that goes in place of the speed output adapter. It just has a plug in the end for the harness. that one looks like it will also work in a chrysler trans, but, I have never tried it.

My American runs Autometer Sport comp electric speedo, works fine easy to calibrate to!

I did have to make a heat shield as the exhaust was to close to the sender on mine. The speedo quit on a 96* day after heat soak for about 15 minutes in a parking lot. Made a simple metal shield to deflect the heat away and it has never happened again. I just hose clamed a small metal plate bend to have an airgap and deflect the heat.
Wrambler
69 AMC Rambler
4.0L, 5 speed
2015 Grand Cherokee Limited
2019 Chrysler 300
Wrambler View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wrambler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/21/2009 at 10:48am
Just noticed you have a 71. If it is still a Borgwarner tranny I believe you can use a sender for a Ford that fits directly in to the trans.  A web search should show you what the Ford sender looks like. Somewhere around a mid 90's T5 sender should do the trick.  But, again, not 100% sure.
Wrambler
69 AMC Rambler
4.0L, 5 speed
2015 Grand Cherokee Limited
2019 Chrysler 300
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic