TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > American Motors Corp., its history and more. > Dealerships - Nash, Hudson, Rambler, AMC, Jeep > Dealership Project
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

Lost Dealership Project

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 23456 44>
Author
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Charter Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 71SC360 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/30/2007 at 11:29am
Here's a pic of my "local" dealership. It's about 4 miles from my new house, it's Albion Motors. You can see that they have the A-Mark portion of the sign still up (this pic was taken this morning). Brad still has an Eagle for sale out front (used) and a Matador, 69 AMX, 70 Javelin, Ambassador convert., and a few other cars (his personal collection) inside the dealership. I am planning on taking a road trip in my Hornet sometime soon and take pix of other dealerships around the local area...

Edited by 71SC360 - Sep/30/2007 at 11:30am
Ohio AMX View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted
Charter Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ohio AMX Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/30/2007 at 12:12pm
That is just an awesome picture! Please post it over in the Heritage Forum too. We have somewhat divided up the dealer section by geographic regions.
1940 Hupmobile Skylark
1968 Javelin future Pro Street
1969 AMX 290/auto (first car)
1997 Dodge SS/T 5.9L
AMO# 983
Ohio AMX View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted
Charter Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ohio AMX Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/26/2007 at 10:53am
Yesterday was a great day! We hopped into the Cherokee and set out to photograph even more former AMC dealership locations. I documented 7 more former dealers including a couple where cars of mine came from, as well as the place where my parents ordered their Eagle Kammback. During our travels we saw only one AMC, an Eagle wagon (white with woodgrain), but it was still a great way to spend time with the family! Check out the latest updates:

1940 Hupmobile Skylark
1997 Dodge SS/T 5.9L
AMO# 983
KermitDRambler View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KermitDRambler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/26/2007 at 12:07pm
I helped a friend move his grandpa earlier in the year. His grandpa worked for a dealership called Harry & Carl's (they started out selling Nash in 1926 -- I have an inch thick stack of dealer lettter head) on Plainville Road in Cincinnati, OH. That dealership is now a high end auto body shop and the signs are long gone but I still remember the big A mark logo painted on the side of the service building and a lot for of Jeeps and Eagles.

I also have an inch thick stack of letter head from the zone office in Cincinnati. It was at the corner of Glendale-Milford and Chester roads in Cincinnati (zip is 45215). I think that location is now used by a trucking company. Here's a Google map of that intersection: http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&hl=en&geocode=&time=&date=&ttype=&q=chester+45215&sll=39.235045,-84.457054&sspn=0.065949,0.1157&ie=UTF8&ll=39.257346,-84.454994&spn=0.004121,0.007231&t=h&z=17&om=0.

Matt
1967 American wagon

http://www.mattsoldcars.com
FamlyTradition View Drop Down
AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FamlyTradition Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/01/2007 at 3:02pm
The dealership in Hot Springs, AR has only the sign standing and the building is gone. Just a lot. My 660 Classic has the Dealer sticker on the deck lid still. "Roswell-Parker   Rambler, Ambassador, Javelin   Hot Springs Ark." Hopefully the sign will still be there when I get my Rambler done so I can Get A picture  of it back on the lot it was sold off of. I think that would be a neat picture. I got pictures of both the sign and the sticker. I'll find them and figure out out how to post them. 
65 Rambler Classic 550 & 660
NellsJavelin View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NellsJavelin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/09/2007 at 11:03pm

Todd just showed me an ex-dealership in Amesbury MA.  I took a photo, I'll post it if I can remember... there was a dealer in Newburyport/Salisbury MA who only recently took down their tall AMC sign... a sad day...

Jonelle

MAXI BLUE: 1974 Javelin 401
www.maxiblue.homestead.com
FL_Javelin View Drop Down
AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FL_Javelin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/09/2007 at 11:54pm
Originally posted by Mountainmoron Mountainmoron wrote:

My dad had a thing against the dealer "advertising for free" on the back of the cars he owned (I know... don't ask).

Before he took delivery he'd tell the salesperson not to put any dealer stickers or emblems on his car. When he picked up his new '68 Dart GT and it had the emblem on the trunk lid he made a federal case out of it. They ended up removing it and filling in the holes.  

I did the exact same thing.
We bought our 83 Mustang GT new, it had no dealer stickers on it or front licence plate holder (not required in Florida), I told them NO dealer stickers on it at all.

We went to pick it up a couple days later and it had a dealer sticker on the rear spoiler and they drilled in a front licence plate bracket with thier dealer licence plate on the front.

I went BALLISTIC

I wouldnt take delivery and told them I wasnt going to till they replaced the entire front end (or another car) because I bought a new car with no holes in the front and thats what I was going to get. I also told them if any mark was made by removing the sticker, the spoiler was getting replaced.

Bottom line (after much heated discussion) they convinced me to allow them a repair, I said ok but if it wasnt 100% PERFECT, they were replacing it. I must admitt it was perfect and I took delivery, they knew I was serious and did it right.

Edited by FL_Javelin - Dec/09/2007 at 11:56pm
Southwest Florida AMC Club

Under construction
seadoo View Drop Down
AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote seadoo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/10/2007 at 11:05am
Originally posted by FamlyTradition FamlyTradition wrote:

The dealership in Hot Springs, AR has only the sign standing and the building is gone. Just a lot. My 660 Classic has the Dealer sticker on the deck lid still. "Roswell-Parker   Rambler, Ambassador, Javelin   Hot Springs Ark." Hopefully the sign will still be there when I get my Rambler done so I can Get A picture  of it back on the lot it was sold off of. I think that would be a neat picture. I got pictures of both the sign and the sticker. I'll find them and figure out out how to post them. 

When did they tear the building down?  Last time i was there, 02 or 03, saw the sign and walked into the plumbing place that was basically of to the side of the sign.  Ended up it was the old dearlership, and no they wouldn't sell the sign. 

Now there is an antique/junk store on Central Ave, as you are heading towards Lake Hamilton it is on the right side and was before the bypass that had a bunch of old parts store and dealer advertising items,  there was a old Nash parts sign in it, it might still be there
Tim

Manassas Park, VA

65 Ambassador 990-H
scott View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote scott Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/11/2007 at 10:04am
I know of a couple of former dealership buildings in the Pittsburgh area that are still flying the Rambler name. I can think of about 10 other former dealership buildings in the area. Only one has been torn down, one still has the giant verticle sign out front. I have to get a cheap digital camera to carry with me in my travels!

I did travel with my girlfriend to Jackson, Ohio a couple of years ago to visit the former site of Buckley's AMC. That's where my Rebel Machine came from. I have a few pictures of me in front of the dealership. Buckley's AMC, Morton street, Jackson Ohio! I I have the owner ID warranty card from the original owner, who lived in Jackson. We looked up the address & found my Rebel's first home & took more pictures.  115 1/2 Portsmouth st Jackson Ohio. My  My Rebel had a bunch of oil change stickers in the door jamb when I bought it. Some were for a Shell station in Ft Lauderdale, some were for a Shell station in Jackson. We looked for the Shell station in Jackson, but it looks like its a Wendy's now. My girlfriend thought I was kidding when I told her I wanted to do this. Smile    Scott

Edited by scott - Dec/14/2007 at 9:47am
Ohio AMX View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted
Charter Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ohio AMX Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/11/2007 at 10:52am
scott, that's really cool, it would be a great addition over at the AMC Heritage Forum if you are registered there. Is that in North Jackson?

My wife doesn't totally understand either but she's a good sport about visiting the dealerships!
1940 Hupmobile Skylark
1997 Dodge SS/T 5.9L
AMO# 983
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 23456 44>
  Share Topic