TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > American Motors Corp., its history and more. > Dealerships - Nash, Hudson, Rambler, AMC, Jeep > Dealership Project
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

Lost Dealership Project

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 2930313233 44>
Author
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote carnuck Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/09/2013 at 5:38pm
there is also Glendale, AZ
Red1975pacer View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Red1975pacer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/28/2013 at 7:20pm
Anybody ever heard of Mitchell Motors of Mitchell South Dakota? Across from the Corn Palace. If so any info from the 1970-1988 era?
DBurdett View Drop Down
AMC Fan
AMC Fan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DBurdett Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/18/2013 at 10:47am
Hi,
I worked at Westside AMC Jeep Renault when the 4.0 came out in 1987. We were in Elmhurst, IL.
Dan
seadoo View Drop Down
AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote seadoo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/23/2014 at 5:20pm
not sure if this dealership has been mentioned but just found a packing slip for the following dealer

Gladding Rambler
116 Willow Street
Pocomoke City, MD

Tim

Manassas Park, VA

65 Ambassador 990-H
401MATCOUPE View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 401MATCOUPE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/24/2014 at 3:25am
Originally posted by seadoo seadoo wrote:

not sure if this dealership has been mentioned but just found a packing slip for the following dealer

Gladding Rambler
116 Willow Street
Pocomoke City, MD

Gladding turned into Frostrum AMC-Jeep/Subaru, (not sure of transistion)  they are still there...they had a guy in the parts department named Bobby that sold me all the obsolete inventory in late 1980's for AMC car, since they only wanted to work on Jeep.  It is a small dealer right on US 13 just north of Virginia Border on the Eastern Shore..it is about 30 minutes form my Home!!
Ross K. Peterson
68X,GoPac,343,AT,52A(1stCar)
68X,GoPac,390,4sp,52A
69X,GoPac,390,4sp,64A
70X,GoPac,390,4sp,87A,8
70X,GoPac,390,4sp,BBO,8
70 Jav SST,390,AT,BSO
74MatX,401,AT,Prototype
74MatX,401,AT
uncljohn View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote uncljohn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/24/2014 at 6:03am
The request for lost dealers usually includes some dealer recognition indications such as a number to link to them.  I do not have that, but a dealer in my Home Town if E. Bloomfield N.Y. a joint town of Holcomb N.Y. at the time had one called:
Lord Bros.
A small town outlet for initially NASH and Willy's Jeep. I grew up haunting the back yard wrecking yard and walking through the display area's looking at the NEW Cars at the time and watching them change. Eventually it MORPHED into an AMC dealer but they were known to sell to local people a new car of any make if the person wanted a local dealer to maintain it.
I know it was done but have no idea what the mechanics were now, it was a small down auto dealer. The only other dealer was the DeSoto Plymouth dealer.
I saw a lot of neat AMC products an always felt that as  dealer, their volume was high enough where some of the new products ended up there before others. But don't know. I swear I remember seeing  a Rambler Rebel 4 door hard top with a fuel injected emblem on it but history said only a few were actually made and they were prototypes.  That was a long time ago now. The memory is probably faulty, but the memory still exists.
I and my family bought a few cars from Jimmy Jeep, a son of the owners.  Who when AMC went belly up ran the business as a used car lot and was still running it the last time I was in town some where around 2010.  I made it a point to stop by and say something when I got back into the area.
Unfortunately AMC and Jimmy Jeep are no longer with us.  I missed touching base with a memory. but time does March on.
70 390 5spd Donohue
74 Hornet In restoration
76 Hornet, 5.7L Mercury Marine Power
80 Fuel Injected I6 Spirit
74 232 I-6, 4bbl, 270HL Isky Cam
401MATCOUPE View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 401MATCOUPE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/27/2014 at 4:25am
The 1874 Matador X my folks bought new and still have was sold at England Motors in Harrisburg, PA.  One of the salesmen was a friend of my fathers and worked full time for him at New Cumberland Army Depot.  He talked him into the Matador, after a weekend loaner of the car to test it out, he was hooked......after a lot of miles in the back seat, I was hooked to.  We went to dealers all over Central Pennsylvania (Nolt, Wissler and more) he went back to the first one (car and dealer).....he thought a Yellow car was in the future, but no X's on lot.  Then the salesman through us a curve ball, they had two Snow White/Black Stripe X's, one 360 2V, AM-FM Radio and the other a 304 2V, AM 8 Track....both had identical options otherwise...well, being the middle of the Gas Crisis....Dad was leaning towards the 304 car and then on the walk around they had punched a large hole in the rear quarter panel during transport.....they offered $500 more off to take it and they would repair....then the guy asked why he wanted the "Rear AMC Air Bags" put in the deal and he told him the intention was to tow across the US on family trip.  They guy said, I will not sell you the 304 car, buy the 360...take it home you'll love it and the gas mileage difference is about 1-2 MPG, and would be a better all around car!!  They did have a Trans Am Red/White Stripe 74 401 X on the lot that as a youngster I was pulled too.......it was stunning.  (The Matador Prototype is a copy of that Trans Am Red lot car, and the brouchure car...very fortunate find..thanks Bob Reno!)  My Dad thought the Red was too much of a Cop Magnet and the 401 mileage scared him.   So we brought home the Snow White 360 2V car and we did go across the US, family pics with my Mom, Dad, Two Brothers and the Matador........hundered of pics from PA to Cali and back and all points in-between.  One of the best pics is the family in White Sands, New Mexico with the white dunes and the Matador.  England Motors later moved and re-named West Shore AMC/Jeep and we still used them as a parts purchase point until the end.
Ross K. Peterson
68X,GoPac,343,AT,52A(1stCar)
68X,GoPac,390,4sp,52A
69X,GoPac,390,4sp,64A
70X,GoPac,390,4sp,87A,8
70X,GoPac,390,4sp,BBO,8
70 Jav SST,390,AT,BSO
74MatX,401,AT,Prototype
74MatX,401,AT
71SC360 View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Charter Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 71SC360 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/10/2014 at 8:12pm
Anyone have a literature on or from an AMC or Rambler dealership in Middleport, NY? I was recently informed of a building in Middleport that is supposed to have been built as a Rambler dealer during the late 50's. I've been in the building many times but never knew its history until recently. The structure says 50's car dealership in every way but I would like to find some definitive proof that it was a Rambler dealer..
pacerman View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pacerman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/10/2014 at 8:47pm
I just bought a piece of literature stamped:   Lloyd Motors,  29524? Euclid Avenue, Wickliffe, OH 44092.  If anyone has a car from there and wants it, I'll donate if less shipping.  Joe
Happiness is making something out of nothing.
Ohio AMX View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted
Charter Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ohio AMX Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/10/2014 at 9:29pm
Originally posted by pacerman pacerman wrote:

I just bought a piece of literature stamped:   Lloyd Motors,  29524? Euclid Avenue, Wickliffe, OH 44092.  If anyone has a car from there and wants it, I'll donate if less shipping.  Joe

I have the AMC clock from that dealership, at least that's what I was told.
1940 Hupmobile Skylark
1968 Javelin future Pro Street
1969 AMX 290/auto (first car)
1997 Dodge SS/T 5.9L
AMO# 983
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 2930313233 44>
  Share Topic