TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > American Motors Corp., its history and more. > Dealerships - Nash, Hudson, Rambler, AMC, Jeep > Dealership Project
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

Lost Dealership Project

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 1213141516 44>
Author
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote idrambler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/20/2008 at 7:30am
Mark......

My 1966 Rambler Convt.  was ordered overseas ( military ) and was shipped by the factory ( dealer # 98-9901) to:

Wentworth & Irwin, Inc
1005 West Burnside
Portland, Oregon

For service and delivery to its new owner who lived in Gold Hill, Ore.
ordered Jan 16 1966 .. delivered March 7th 1966

Jim....AMCRC
Treasure Valley AMC Club, Pres
69 AMX 401/727
74 GremlinX 401/727race only
73 Matador 2dr HT 360/727
Blue Stinger View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Blue Stinger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/20/2008 at 1:28pm
Originally posted by idrambler idrambler wrote:

Mark......

My 1966 Rambler Convt.  was ordered overseas ( military ) and was shipped by the factory ( dealer # 98-9901) to:

Wentworth & Irwin, Inc
1005 West Burnside
Portland, Oregon

For service and delivery to its new owner who lived in Gold Hill, Ore.
ordered Jan 16 1966 .. delivered March 7th 1966

Jim,

If you want that Wentworth & Irwin leather key holder I have, I'll give it to you.   Are you coming to my neck of the woods this year for the drags?

Mark
Mark Ogulnick
Boulder City, NV
'71 Hornet SC 360
idrambler View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote idrambler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/21/2008 at 3:03pm
Blue Stinger...e-mail sent....
Jim....AMCRC
69 AMX 401/727
farna View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Moderator Lost Dealership Project

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote farna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/21/2008 at 11:23pm
That dealer number would be for Wentworth & Irwin. Military sales were handled by a factory paid rep on the military base/post, but "sale" was actually through the "shipped to" dealer. Don't know if the dealer got anything out of those deals or not, I wouldn't think so -- just the chance to get a service customer, and maybe a few bucks to cover paperwork and prep. 
Frank Swygert
idrambler View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote idrambler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/22/2008 at 2:14am
......as near as I can tell...........

All of the paper work on this car was done by the "export department" at the
factory ( J. Pastorek) so I think the zone #98 dealer #9901 was  in the
Export department at the factory.

I have  copies  of the original overseas order,  delivery letter of instruction from
the export department (  J. Pastorek ) to the dealer, the bill of lading, plus the
 original window sticker.

The owner  & car ID booklet has  AMC Kenosha as the selling dealer.. again
signed by J. Pastorek export department.......

The customer paid $50 for the delivery service credited  to the dealer by
the zone office after the delivery paper  work and balance of money owed was
collected and sent to them by the delivery dealer( Wentworth & Irwin, Inc. )

In this case both the delivery dealer ( Wentworth & Irwin ) and the AMC zone office were in Portland, Oregon.

Note....the bill of lading has 2803 lbs as the shipping weight....

Jim....AMCRC
69 AMX 401/727
Ohio AMX View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted
Charter Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ohio AMX Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/27/2008 at 1:00am
Just wanted the dealership fans know that Mike at the AMC Heritage Forum has arranged the dealership listings by state now rather than region, for your viewing pleasure!

1940 Hupmobile Skylark
1968 Javelin future Pro Street
1969 AMX 290/auto (first car)
1997 Dodge SS/T 5.9L
AMO# 983
MarkBirdnow View Drop Down
AMC Fan
AMC Fan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MarkBirdnow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/18/2008 at 8:08am
Hi, My name is Mark Birdnow. I was the AMC-Jeep dealer in Oelwein Iowa for about five years until it closed in the early 80's. I did write a cover story for the AMO magazine (Jan/Feb) 2004 issue about how I became the youngest AMC dealer in the country.
I have quite a few documents from that time, including my original franchise papers, etc.
I am still an active auto dealer. I have a multi line dealership still in Oelwein Iowa. www.birdnow.com is our website.
Ohio AMX View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted
Charter Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ohio AMX Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/18/2008 at 9:22am
Originally posted by MarkBirdnow MarkBirdnow wrote:

Hi, My name is Mark Birdnow. I was the AMC-Jeep dealer in Oelwein Iowa for about five years until it closed in the early 80's. I did write a cover story for the AMO magazine (Jan/Feb) 2004 issue about how I became the youngest AMC dealer in the country.
I have quite a few documents from that time, including my original franchise papers, etc.
I am still an active auto dealer. I have a multi line dealership still in Oelwein Iowa. www.birdnow.com is our website.

Welcome Mark, glad to have you here! I have you listed in my 1982 Dealer Directory at 841 S. Frederick, is that a location you still use? Be sure to check out the Lost Dealership Project at the AMC Heritage Forum also.
1940 Hupmobile Skylark
1968 Javelin future Pro Street
1969 AMX 290/auto (first car)
1997 Dodge SS/T 5.9L
AMO# 983
Blue Stinger View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Blue Stinger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/18/2008 at 12:21pm
It's great to have someone post on here who actually was an AMC dealer.  Next month I'll be having a chat with the gentleman who was the Las Vegas AMC dealer, Jim Marsh.  He now owns a Chrysler/Jeep dealership.

Mark

Edited by Blue Stinger - Feb/18/2008 at 12:22pm
Mark Ogulnick
Boulder City, NV
'71 Hornet SC 360
AMX390 View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum
AMX/3

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AMX390 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/20/2008 at 4:05pm
Hey, this looks like fun, I want to play. I went the this AMC dealer in 1986 to have some work done to my 1969 AMX 390 auto, matador red, I was running 13's @ 101 MPH in the quarter mile at nearby Carlsbad Raceway in those days. The owner of this dealership was Wes Long who was a close friend of my Mom's husband, Sam Priestly who had the Lincoln Mercury dealership down the street. After AMC folded, the son, Steve Long had a used car lot across the street for some years called Ocean Auto Sales, I had the good fortune to know Steve  until his passing a few years ago. I took this picture this evening, next time I will  get a day shot.

Ocean AMC/Jeep Inc.

501 S. Hill

Oceanside, CA 92054

(714)722-2161

Steve Long

Edited by AMX390 - Feb/20/2008 at 4:11pm
I love The AMC forum!

http://www.amx390.com

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 1213141516 44>
  Share Topic