TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > AMC 6 Cylinder Engine Repair and Modifications
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

Bad RPM related vibration

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 567
Author
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thikstik Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/28/2011 at 9:30pm
The unbalanced pplate would have been yanking around the input shaft on a different place every gear change.  Did they say how much it was off?
75 gremlin x, jeep 4.0 headed 258,
264H Cliff cam, intake,header. 390 holley. I want a 282 VAM motor!

AC/PS/PDB.

72 AMX , 304 2bbl, 3speed, now disks...probably will sell, want an automatic /AC.

nosigma View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nosigma Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/28/2011 at 9:44pm
It was A LOT.  When the PP came back it had a 3" long piece of 1/4 steel welded to one side.  Its been a while but it was something like 4 0z.  Not anywhere close to the half a gram that the rod ends, rods pistons were set up too.  I'm not comfortable with the PP problem because it ran smooth until the over rev but no parts were missing from the PP.  The pilot bushing makes sense, the whole thing turned to dust except for the steel outer sleeve.

Used another shop to balance this motor.  Sending the centerforce PP and clutch in to be checked for balance.

John

Edited by nosigma - Nov/28/2011 at 9:44pm
Thikstik View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thikstik Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/28/2011 at 9:54pm
That is strange, like, where did the metal go..if nowhere, then why is it off balance.  So the chinese pp  was balanced using that 1/4 inch steel?
75 gremlin x, jeep 4.0 headed 258,
264H Cliff cam, intake,header. 390 holley. I want a 282 VAM motor!

AC/PS/PDB.

72 AMX , 304 2bbl, 3speed, now disks...probably will sell, want an automatic /AC.

FASTNASH View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FASTNASH Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/28/2011 at 10:22pm
On time on six had broken valve spring and didn't pop or hammer and ran ok, but never felt right and never was smooth, put on engineizer and cut out cylinders real couldn't pin point in and then did leak down and comp checks was ok but then remove valve cover and check push rods ok, check spring height with set of calipers and thats how found it broken corner off valve spring and it had aftermarket springs. One time had happen on stock 360 in wagoneer once. Garage put cam in they thought cam was worn and replaced it and wouldn't run any different and gave up and gave to me check and was on number 8 cylinder. And then two weeks later different spring gave out in different cylinder and ending up replacing them all. Funny things has happen and did over rev it is possible. Check valve train.  Just my two cents. Good luck.
AMO#3040 NAMDRA#1115 AMC's are just like potato chips you just can't have one.              
FASTNASH View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FASTNASH Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/28/2011 at 10:40pm
I am new at this forum stuff and got little off left field, I over looked couple pages, I see you pull the engine out. I over look that, My Mistake? But signs of your bearings and how they where scuff looks like you need deeper oil sump? Specially if going run it hard, do you have stock 4 quart pan on it? Just my two cents. Good luck
AMO#3040 NAMDRA#1115 AMC's are just like potato chips you just can't have one.              
tyrodtom View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tyrodtom Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/29/2011 at 8:40am
  I had a part of the clutch or pressure plate make a small hole in the bellhousing when I missed a shift,  neither blew,  but I had sytoms like you until I replaced both.    I didn't notice the small triangular hole ( 1/2 in.) until I took the transmission out.

There might have been more than one weight welded on the pressure plate, with a spot weld with very little penetration,  it would be hard to see where the old spot weld was now.
66 American SW, 66 American 2dr, 82 J10, 70 Hornet, Pound, Va.
farna View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Moderator Lost Dealership Project

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote farna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/29/2011 at 5:03pm
Could have been a faulty pilot bushing too (metal not properly formulated/hardened/etc.). But the out of balance pressure plate surely caused the majority of the problems. 
Frank Swygert
SIXPAK View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SIXPAK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/30/2011 at 10:09pm
John, use a dial indicator and see if the bellhousing is running on the crank centerline. It may be out. Very common on the 8 inch deep blowproof, not sure about others.
Sand is for Racing Asphalt is for getting there!
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 567
  Share Topic