TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > Body/Interior
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

AMC Matadore Coupe

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
AMC Fan
AMC Fan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AMCguy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: AMC Matadore Coupe
    Posted: Jun/22/2009 at 8:55pm
My 74 Matadore X Coupe Red,wt stripe 360 4bl, 2x, auto, was recently hit hard from behind by a drunk driver, and (after a new interior, remanufactured engine, trany) now the insurance has told me too old, too rare and not worth any thing because its an AMC.  My wife wants me to give it up.

Damage was left rear quarter, bumper, and rear light panel, came up into the trunk, rear window, trunk lid and the rest of the car are fine.

Sheet metal available?, close to washington state? what am I looking at?

What is this car worth? is it worth fixing? is the value going up?

thanks for your input
mramc View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mramc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/24/2009 at 4:26pm
Did you have a stated value insurance policy or just your regular insurance policy?Generally it's your option to choose to get a close replacement to your car at the very least . Have you had some one look at it, ie a body shop and got an estimate. If the unit body sub frame not bend it is fixable, costly but fixable. The insurance company has to give you some thing. And if some one hit you from behind should not there insurance be liable? (Unless your state has no fault insurance and getting hit in the behind is very much some ones fault in almost all states I'm aware of the driver that rear ended you is at fault. ) Good Matador Coupes are running around $5,000 to $6,000, about what they cost new. Not a six figure classic car by any means , but they should be doing some thing for you. If the insurance company refuses to do any thing for you, call your state insurance office or DMV and ask how you report a failure to pay off a claim to on an accident to. Nothing like having the state come down on an isurance company for not being an insurance company telling them to make a stettlemnt or stop doing business in the state. You should get some thing and your suck with that company for another year for you regular street car if it's the same policy. Then your done. Either way they jerk your rate up and your looking for another insurance company after the year or so. You had a claim so they won't even be able to go with another comapny for another year at least. Bad news is with a none stated value street car policy you will be doing good to 80% of the lose off them. Collector car insurance is a bit better. I had my 69 AMX stolen out of drive way four month out of the restoration shop and stripped in Las Vegas. I wond up doing my own adjustment for the insurance company's adjuster and it took a ton of time , but we came to a resonable stettlement. I'm sure no one was completely happy , but that the way insurance should work. I fortunately still had almost all my bills, photos, reciepts anda stated value of $40,000 , which may have been a bit on the low side for a 2 passenger AMX out of restoration. Worst of it was for me I still owned a few thousand on the build I had to pay off out of the stettlement money. Good luck , don't let them complete stiff you. LRDaum
LRDaum
TinMan View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TinMan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/24/2009 at 4:45pm
In Illinois you can rear end someone and not be at fault, it happened to my brother, the drunk driver was in front of him and locked up the brakes.

AMC Guy, I'm sorry to hear about our situation. Does it have white stripes on the sides? A 74 Matador X Coupe is on my dream car list. As MrAMC suggested, I would visit a local body shop and see what they think, and then try to track down a junkyard donor.
In my opinion, the reason you have insurance is so that when stuff like this happens you don't get bit in the ass by a situation which you didn't have control of, hopefully you'll be able to get his insurance to cover most of the cost.
My brother has a 66 Buick Skylark that was hit and the other person was at fault, their insurance literally gave him $50 for a ruined fender, that was their estimated worth, he spent at least $500 on a NOS one. Try to not let the insurance companies jip you over something you pay them for.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic