TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > Transmission & Drivetrain
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

rear end swap 56-66 Classic

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 23456 19>
Author
 Rating: Topic Rating: 1 Votes, Average 5.00  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
farna View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Moderator Lost Dealership Project

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote farna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/20/2010 at 8:20am
I hope you take some pics during the install and after!! 
Frank Swygert
amcron57 View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote amcron57 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/20/2010 at 3:59pm
Sir, once I figure out how to post pics on here I will certainly post plenty of pics to share with other AMCer's that are considering doing this swap. Thanks for all of your advice! 
farna View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote farna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/21/2010 at 12:26pm
see:
http://theamcforum.com/forum/new-posting-images-hosted-on-this-forum_topic8119.html
http://theamcforum.com/forum/guide-to-posting-photos_topic220.html
Frank Swygert
firefly View Drop Down
AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote firefly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/23/2010 at 7:42am
I put an 8.8 explorer rearend in my '63 classic using a universal crossmember from summit,just cut it down to the right width. An old pair of Lakewood ladder bars and reused most of the spring perch's and panhard bar from the old rearend. It was much easier than I thought.
59ramblersuper6 View Drop Down
AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 59ramblersuper6 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/23/2011 at 8:02pm
This is a 55 Nash Ambo with a T-5 and a 302 V8 and Torque Tube. The guy made a simple custom mount. Has anyone ever blown up a AMC TT 15 with a 327/4.0/v8 swap?

How to retain the TT tube and still swap the Motor!

This is a 55 Nash Ambo with a T-5 and a 302 V8 and Torque Tube
farna View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote farna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/24/2011 at 8:43am
I actually ran an AMC 15 TT setup behind my 4.6L stroker for about 18 months. With 205/70R15 radials it would smoke the one-legger as long as I held he gas down in first gear... did it for 50-60' once! The T-96/OD trans didn't hold up all that well. Stripped the synchronizer out in about 150 miles. After that (and some double clutching to down shift) it worked okay, but I was easy on it. Finally took it out before it broke! With 10-12K on it the gears looked like they had 40-60K on them (starting to show some wear). But the axle held up fine with 260 hp and around 250 ft/lbs of torque.
Frank Swygert
AtticusJackal View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AtticusJackal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/26/2012 at 7:16pm
Kinda along these lines, but I love my 327 and torque tube setup, but can't for the life of me find a replacement 80 series Flash-o-matic since I lost reverse in mine. 

I'd really like to do anything I can to keep my current driveline! If anyone who did this swap has a good tranny I'd love to buy it off them. Shocked
farna View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote farna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/27/2012 at 5:07am
It's been done, but it's expensive to keep the torque tube. Check the previous posts (just the couple above). If there is a pill-a-part type yard in your area a Ford 8.8" axle from a Ranger is relatively cheap (under $100 in most cases). It fits, and should work in the big cars with the stock wheels even though it's about 1.5" wider than the stock axle. You can get a GM trans adapter from Gus Averil (averills@silk.net). He can also make the pieces necessary to adapt the torque tube, but expect about a $1000 bill (including shipping) just for the parts (including the trans adapter). To top that off, you need a specific GM output housing (from an Astro or Safari van... 700R4 with specific mount holes in the back, may have been used in other models).

The trans adapter and parts can be purchased without the TT adapter. That will allow any GM auto trans to be bolted up (and with some minor work a manual trans could be used). Cost should be around half (or less). That and the Ranger rear axle with ladder bars is the way I think I'd go, but it's all up to you. If you have an auto behind the 327 now it will likely have 2.87 or 3.15 gears. Both are a bit high for an OD trans -- you need 3.23-3.55 (3.73 wouldn't hurt). See www.therangerstation.com for Ranger axle info. Those gear ranges are available. If you have a stick shift with the 327 it should have a lower axle ratio. If it had OD then it would be perfect!

Trans adapter and parts:

Trans and TT adapter installed on 287:

Edited by farna - Feb/27/2012 at 5:12am
Frank Swygert
billd View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Forum Administrator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote billd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/27/2012 at 6:40am
Frank - would you post a detailed "how to" on keeping the torque tube but upgrading transmission to, say, whatever will work...........
Pictures, drawings, these pictures you furnished here are GREAT. It would be either a sticky or moved to the top-tech articles.
Few besides yourself and Rick Jones know about this sort of thing, this is valuable information, IMO.
This is where you really shine.

OH - you won't be left out either 59ramblersuper..... you can contribute, or work with Frank/farna, or anyone who has GOOD sound information on this sort of thing. No hacks, please, nothing with duct tape, bailing wire, knitting needles rubber banded in place. Good reliable SAFE adapters and mods.
This is a common question and deserves to be saved and made easy to find.

Edited by billd - Feb/27/2012 at 6:42am
farna View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote farna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/27/2012 at 11:50am
I'll post a few more pics, but can't really give a lot more details. The transmission adapter is something that has to be laid out just right -- nothing that can be done by the average guy. The torque tube adapter is pretty much the same way. Contact Gus Averil (averills@silk.net) about buying one of the adapter sets if someone wants one (or just the GM trans adapter). He can make them up as ordered, so it will take a few weeks -- maybe a couple months. He doesn't keep any "in stock" and does this in his spare time. He wanted to make a bolt-in kit and managed to do it!

Here are a couple more pics of the torque tube adapter. Remember, this is for a 700R4 out of a 1985-94 Chevy Astro or Pontiac/GMC Safari van (Poncho and GMC both used the same name, it was marketed under both brands from 85-89, just GMC after).  I don't know if the 95-05 model used the same trans mounts or not -- Gus might know.

Here is the adapter and modified BW flexplate on a 287

Here's the flexplate with the attaching spacers

Frank Swygert
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 23456 19>
  Share Topic