TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > Transmission & Drivetrain
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

rear end swap 56-66 Classic

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 1213141516 19>
Author
 Rating: Topic Rating: 1 Votes, Average 5.00  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
Wrambler View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wrambler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/29/2013 at 10:38pm
I've only seen one report that someone hammered a right rear floor board/tunnel area over a touch.Pretty sure it was a small car. Doesn't seem to be any issue at all with large bodys. Since the rear floors on that Marlin are laid out for the torsional support bars of the torque tube there should be zero issues and if there are they will be minimal. The side offset does not affect driveshaft harmonics at all as long as you keep the ujoints in phase and the trans and pinion shafts are straight and equal for to aft.
Wrambler
69 AMC Rambler
4.0L, 5 speed
2015 Grand Cherokee Limited
2019 Chrysler 300
Wrambler View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wrambler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/28/2014 at 9:52am
I'm going to put this here and hope it gets noticed.

I'm trying to figure out what rear axle to use in my Ambassador?
I'm using truck arms, panhard, and possibly bags for springs.

This beast is going to be a very far off the beaten path TOW RIG for our boat!
Plan on a class 3 or 5 hitch behind the license plate.
327, 4bbl Turbo 400 to what?
8.8"
9"
Grand Cherokee AMC 20, I have a twingrip unit and those have one piece rear axles. I can get it redrilled to 5 X 4 1/2 and the other demensions altered to fit discs.

Ford used the 8.8" in exploders and 1/2 ton trucks, so it is a good choice. Maybe real good due to I'm using one in the American.

The AMC 20 has plenty of beef since it looses the two piece axles. there was one fro sale local with 3:31 gear set too.

I've tried to find the stock width WMS-WMS on the stock rear and found nothing but track width or backingplate width. I don't get why those are even used other than a comparison.

Wrambler
69 AMC Rambler
4.0L, 5 speed
2019 Chrysler 300
farna View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Moderator Lost Dealership Project

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote farna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/28/2014 at 3:51pm
For the big cars the Ford Explorer rear axle may fit, but the 93+ Ranger is 1.5" narrower.

Since the old 60s wheels are pretty much all centered, track (which is center of tire to center of tire) is pretty darn close to hub to hub measurements. The only thing to remember is that's not the case on the later truck/SUV axles! They all use a deep offset wheel, so the axle is 2-4" wider than track. You can get the Ranger/Explorer axle measurements from www.therangerstation.com (might need to leave "the" out...).
Frank Swygert
Wrambler View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wrambler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/04/2015 at 12:00pm
Adding on here.
I noticed yesterday that the factory Panhard has a stud from the Tube and a flang to the axle flange from the factory.
Has anyone refitted this bracket? or is it useless.
Looks pretty simple and moving to an adjustable panhard would let it work with just about anything.

I'd really like to find a fullsize Jeep rear from the 80's with 3:31 Ratio. Since it is going to be a pretty basic cruiser and limited use tow rig.
Need to turn the axles to fit a set of large slip on discs and redrill the 5 on 4.5", but seems a pretty simple way to go. I have a twingrip diff too.

If I can get this beast rolling I can let the Grand Cherokee go and get our insurance down a few bucs!Too many daily drivers!
Wrambler
69 AMC Rambler
4.0L, 5 speed
2019 Chrysler 300
farna View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote farna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/04/2015 at 12:33pm
Yes, it can be reused. The part on the axle is held on by two large rivets (might be bolts), IIRC, to what is basically the same spring seat used for a leaf spring. Grind the rivets off and pull the plate. That's what I did when I used a D35 from a Commanche. The plate just uses two bolts, so I bolted it on with the plate that holds te axles to the spring. I'm pretty sure I put the plate with the Panhard bar stud under the axle mount plate, same u-bolts.

3.31 gears were pretty common in 81+ FSJ Wagoneers (Grand Wagoneer), so that would be a good place to get a D44 with those gears. 3.31 was the tow package gearing, 2.73 was standard gearing. It's right at 60" wide, but has the 6x5.5" lug pattern. You'd have to redrill the hubs for a 5x4.5" pattern or run six lug wheels on back. Stock 15" wheels with hubcaps and you'd never know -- untill you got a flat...

93+ Isuzu Rodeo and Honda Passport has a 58" D44, but also the 6 lug pattern. Many of those have 4.30 gears, or 4.10. So that would be a bit much gear. I thnk they will use standard D44 gears, but regearing adds to cost. Better to use a slightly wider axle and order deeper offset wheels.
Frank Swygert
Wrambler View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wrambler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/05/2015 at 11:12am
I think there is/are a few years in the 80's the FSJ got the AMC 20.
I saw one advertised on Craigslist a few months back, but the guy thought it was made of solid gold.

Since I have a twin-grip I was hoping I could get my hands on the 20 and then get the axle ends (one piece) machined to fit whatever disc brake rotors etc that I decide to use.
Wrambler
69 AMC Rambler
4.0L, 5 speed
2019 Chrysler 300
jpulse View Drop Down
AMC Fan
AMC Fan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jpulse Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/12/2015 at 5:56pm
I have an 8.8 out of an explorer in my '63 classic.   wms - wms is about 1/2" wider than stock.

you can narrow it 3" by shortening the "long-side" tube and installing the "short-side" axle shaft in in.    explorer 8.8's came with limited slip and 3.55's or 3.73 also larger brakes. and I believe '96 and later had disk brakes.
farna View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote farna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/13/2015 at 6:56am
I had suspected that the Explorer axle might be about right for the big cars, thanks for verifying! The 93+ Ranger is supposed to be 1.5" narrower than the Explorer axle, so it would be a bit narrow. The narrowed Explorer axle is about 3" narrower than stock -- about right for an American. 
Frank Swygert
59ramblersuper6 View Drop Down
AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 59ramblersuper6 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/04/2015 at 12:26pm
I have ladder bars currently installed in my 59. The car vibrates alot, I went on an 80 mile journey to a car show and broke some welds, brackets figured now would be a good time to do an upgrade. 

I just got my Hotrodsfromhell Truck arm Kit in the mail. They sent me essentially the same kit as their Buick torque tube eliminator kit. came with Truck arms, cross-member bushings u-bolts and related brackets. I'll reuse the pan hard bar, springs and shock mounts etc. I also have a used Ford 8.8 with 3.73 LSD and drum brakes to go with it. This will go in my 59 rambler super 6 that's already had a chevy transplant. It's cold here so not much work will get done right now but when its warm I'll start a build thread. I have High hopes for the ride quality over the Ladder bars installed now.
Wrambler View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wrambler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/04/2015 at 12:42pm
Originally posted by 59ramblersuper6 59ramblersuper6 wrote:

I have ladder bars currently installed in my 59. The car vibrates alot, I went on an 80 mile journey to a car show and broke some welds, brackets figured now would be a good time to do an upgrade. 

I just got my Hotrodsfromhell Truck arm Kit in the mail. They sent me essentially the same kit as their Buick torque tube eliminator kit. came with Truck arms, cross-member bushings u-bolts and related brackets. I'll reuse the pan hard bar, springs and shock mounts etc. I also have a used Ford 8.8 with 3.73 LSD and drum brakes to go with it. This will go in my 59 rambler super 6 that's already had a chevy transplant. It's cold here so not much work will get done right now but when its warm I'll start a build thread. I have High hopes for the ride quality over the Ladder bars installed now.

Pictures! Lots of Pictures! Link it here too!
Wrambler
69 AMC Rambler
4.0L, 5 speed
2019 Chrysler 300
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 1213141516 19>
  Share Topic