TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > Transmission & Drivetrain
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

rear end swap 56-66 Classic

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 1011121314 19>
Author
 Rating: Topic Rating: 1 Votes, Average 5.00  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
66rebel View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 66rebel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/20/2013 at 4:33am
Wow, that looks very easy and simple i think i will use this desighn on my 66, thanks for posting the picks they are just what i needed.
66rebel View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 66rebel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/08/2013 at 1:30am
Could you give me some measurements for this please?
How far from the rear of the frame rail is the eye for the shackle measuing from as far back as the outer side of the frame on the bottom of the leg were the eye is?
And how far up the swan neck measuring from the rear side of the LIFT point is the top flat of the front hanger please?
66rebel View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 66rebel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/09/2013 at 2:04pm
Why is the bump stop not true to the axle mount point on the spring?
farna View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Moderator Lost Dealership Project

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote farna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/09/2013 at 3:07pm
The rear wheel is not centered on a stock early Rambler, it's a bit forward. Some people don't particularly like that look (I do!) so they move the wheel back to center it. The arch was designed to closely follow the tire at the front and top then sweep behind it. To me it doesn't look right with space in front of the tire, but to each his own!
Frank Swygert
66rebel View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 66rebel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/10/2013 at 4:10am
I am going to use shocks with the thread on instead of an eye and bolt them to the floor seems easier to me, or use the stock ones, what do you think about using the explorer axle, do i have to get the diff centered or will it be ok ofset?
farna View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote farna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/10/2013 at 9:07am
offset is fine, no need to center it. 
Frank Swygert
66rebel View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 66rebel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/10/2013 at 10:43am
Even if you were to race the car, dont you feel it would put a lot of strain on the propshaft?
66rebel View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 66rebel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/10/2013 at 10:57am
I have i think located a jeep wagoneer with quadratrack, is that transmission a th400 or 727, could i use this at all?
farna View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote farna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/11/2013 at 12:08pm
No, there wouldn't be any additional strain on the prop shaft with it offset. There might be a little additional stress on the u-joints, but VERY little. Many vehicles come from the factory with offset rear axles (like the Explorer).  The matching angle at the trans end cancels vibrations out. The only way there will be additional stress on the u-joints would be if there is a lot of up-down angle too. 10 degrees or so in both directions is nothing.

Quadra-Trac was used from 73-82 in the big Jeeps, and could be a BW 1305 or 1339 t-case (73-79), or a NP219 (80-82). Through 79 the TH-400 was used. 73+ models have the bell cast for the AMC engine, 65-72 models used an adapter between the trans bell and AMC V-8. 1980+ would be a TH727, with the bell cast for AMC engines, but all other parts interchange with other Chrysler models. So you can get any run of the mill Chrylser 727 (or TH400) for the 2WD output shaft and housing. The trans has to be totally torn down to change the output shaft, so it's a good time for a rebuild if converting.
Frank Swygert
66rebel View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 66rebel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/13/2013 at 12:59am
Farna, do you remember having a chat about those sliders you were talking about?
Could you get me a pair and i will paypal the funds to you.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 1011121314 19>
  Share Topic