TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > AMC V8 Engine Repair and Modifications
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

Tell me about the "401"

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 2345>
Author
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Alliups Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/19/2009 at 2:24pm
Originally posted by farna farna wrote:

Yeah, the 360 build. I criticized that build for using a lot of unnecessary machine work and "special" parts when there are plenty available parts made for AMCs that would have done the job without anything fancy at all. That's when I found out that Glad doesn't like criticism, even mild criticism. I just stated that they could have built it in a way that anyone could replicate it easily and saved a good deal of money with off the shelf parts.

Yeah- Glad emailed me back when I commented on their upcoming build- the 401. I suggested he contact some AMC builders for advice or look at the article I'm about to post on here. He asked me why I was suggesting a build "they" had already done ten years before. Silly of me to point him in a direction of picking up where that build left off rather than starting behind the learning curve. I don't think I wrote back figuring he was a hard head and he needed to learn some humbling lessons. This was confirmed by the So Cal AMC club. They say he shows up at gatherings they have in L.A. sometimes and he doesn't listen to any of their suggestions. He's a hot rodding 'expert'. We saw how well that went when the 370 ate up the distributor gear early on.Clap
 Point is, as Farna and others will point out, you can build a decent engine without doing silly things or spending gobs of money on unnecessary machining. Pay attention to the outlined basics and use good quality components or ascertain that what is there is in good, solid condition and you can have fun.

Steve

Steve
farna View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Moderator Lost Dealership Project

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote farna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/19/2009 at 3:48pm
I suppose I can understand them wanting to do something different or highlight a new product, but that's no necessarily the best service for readers. And ten years before... how many CC readers have been subscribing since 1999? No new readers interested in an AMC build since then?? 
Frank Swygert
forest View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote forest Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/19/2009 at 4:22pm
Car Craft is turning into the new Hot Rod. Big dollar builds, and hardly any cheap $hit anymore. I beleive in doing it right, but, what about the articles with spraying a 300 hit on a STOCK 350 chevy. Or building a bolton combo with manifolds and headers ect... off ebay...   reall  CAR CARFT stuff?  There is none.  I have wanted to do a mag like this for some time now and I am leaning more towards it all the time. Who wants to see stuff built fast for cheap again?
setting guys out by car lengths....
farna View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Moderator Lost Dealership Project

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote farna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/19/2009 at 4:29pm
I've got some experience with niche market magazines -- computers and cars. It's tough to get started without a big disposable budget. If you do it as a hobby as I have, it's okay, but if you want to make money doing it, you've got to have a big start-up budget that might take years to get back -- assuming the magazine is a success. Still, I'm interested, and will do what I can to help. Contact me via private e-mail or call if you're serious.
Frank Swygert
Alliups View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Alliups Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/19/2009 at 4:54pm
Teasers til tonight:

I'll be posting the text and photos in little bits so that the text is as clear and readable sized as in the mag rather than the above shrunk stuff.

Alliups View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Alliups Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/19/2009 at 5:20pm

Steve

Edited by Alliups - Jun/20/2009 at 3:15am
bughappy View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bughappy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/19/2009 at 9:14pm
O.K. ............... Numbers!
C.U. --- 401 (as advertized)
Block # --- 3198951
Head # --- 3220502

Inside the valve covers it was very clean, lots better than the years of build up on the outside.   

Thank you guys for all the info over the last few days it's realy juced up the "learning curve" on this motor!

Tom V

P.S. Billd, how did you know I met my soon to be ex-wife when she was my P.O. and now that she's a federal judge she is divorcing me???

(P.P.S. for those of you who haven't read ALL of this thread the P.S. above is just a joke, realy, hardly any truth at all )
'87 Cherokee, '64 American 330 wagon, '65 American 440H

Searchin' for parts is half the fun! Them Chevy, Ford & Mopar guys have it to damn easy!
Alliups View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Alliups Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/20/2009 at 3:26am
Page 2

Alliups View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Alliups Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/20/2009 at 3:53am
Third Page

Edited by Alliups - Jun/20/2009 at 4:43am
Alliups View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Alliups Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/20/2009 at 4:10am
Next Page

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 2345>
  Share Topic