TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > AMC V8 Engine Repair and Modifications
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

Tell me about the "401"

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345>
Author
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Moderator Lost Dealership Project

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote farna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/18/2009 at 9:09pm
Yeah, the 360 build. I criticized that build for using a lot of unnecessary machine work and "special" parts when there are plenty available parts made for AMCs that would have done the job without anything fancy at all. That's when I found out that Glad doesn't like criticism, even mild criticism. I just stated that they could have built it in a way that anyone could replicate it easily and saved a good deal of money with off the shelf parts.

AMC used a Chrysler trans for the most part from 72-up. As someone pointed out, some of the Jeep Wagoneers used TH-400s in the early 80s. In either case, the bell housing is different for the AMC engine (the main case), so you can't get a Chrysler or GM trans and just bolt it on. You can get an adapter for a standard GM trans from Novak or Advance Adapters. Or you can have the Jeep trans (whichever it is) rebuilt, substituting the output shaft and housing for two wheel drive parts from a Chrysler 727 or GM 400. Only the main case (bell) is different, all internal components and the splines on the output shaft are typical Chrysler or GM. Either trans has to be totally disassembled to change the output shaft, so may as well rebuild it. Or get the adapter and run a 700R4.

No one mentioned that the stock crank and rods in a 390 or 401 are forged pieces. That's why you don't need to worry about the rods like you do in a Chevy. Just make sure they're true, clean them up, and maybe have them shot peened if you're going to be turning it up a lot. The stock rods are at least as good as  low cost forged performance Chevy rods. The heads flow really good stock -- roughly the equivalent of much later Chevy LS-1 heads.
Frank Swygert
PHAT69AMX View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PHAT69AMX Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/18/2009 at 9:46pm
Agree with your points farna about the Car Craft 360 build. Cool
Alliups View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Alliups Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/18/2009 at 11:34pm
Found the article on the 401 equipped Spirit in June 1998 Hot Rod ( it was Hot Rod! ). I'll scan or copy in the morn, whichever method makes the clearest info to post. Also, for anyone interested- this is but one copy for sale:http://cgi.ebay.com/Hot-Rod-Magazine-June-1998-Good-Condition_W0QQitemZ230345432172QQcmdZViewItemQQimsxq20090527?IMSfp=TL090527153003r23090

Steve
purple72Gremlin View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted
Charter Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote purple72Gremlin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/18/2009 at 11:59pm
If the 401 is a 1974, it will have the 502's.
purple72Gremlin View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted
Charter Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote purple72Gremlin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/19/2009 at 12:03am
Originally posted by farna farna wrote:

AMC used a Chrysler trans for the most part from 72-up. As someone pointed out, some of the Jeep Wagoneers used TH-400s in the early 80s.
They used TF's from 1972 & Up. In the passenger cars.
AMC used TH400's From 1973-79.(In Jeeps)   then 1980, AMC started to use TF's in Jeeps.

Edited by purple72Gremlin - Jun/19/2009 at 12:05am
farna View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Moderator Lost Dealership Project

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote farna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/19/2009 at 6:03am
Thanks for the correction Purple! I was on the wrong side of 1980... I recalled that 80 was the break point.  I checked a Jeep site -- even CJs (from 76-79, no auto before the CJ-7) and FSJs with the six used the TH-400 though 79. For some reason I was thinking only the FSJs used the TH-400, but checked before typing this time! Embarrassed
Frank Swygert
bughappy View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bughappy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/19/2009 at 1:12pm
Engine just arrived on a pallet. Will get it up on an engine stand this afternoon. It is complete with power steering pump, fan, cast headers, carb & manifold etc. along with 30 plus years of grease & grime! Have a mandatory trip to Cal. first thing tomorrow so have limited time to clean up the motor today.
Where will I find numbers on the heads & block if I dont have time to clean (presure wash) before I leave for the weekend? I'd realy like to get 'em posted so I can get some more tips on what I'm going to need to do to my new "baby"!

Tom V
'87 Cherokee, '64 American 330 wagon, '65 American 440H

Searchin' for parts is half the fun! Them Chevy, Ford & Mopar guys have it to damn easy!
billd View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Forum Administrator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote billd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/19/2009 at 1:22pm
Originally posted by bughappy bughappy wrote:

Have a mandatory trip to Cal. first thing tomorrow so have limited time to clean up the motor today.

Tom V

Unless it's your probation officer, divorce court, or a federal judge, I'd be tempted to reclassify that as not-mandatory..... LOL
whizkidder View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote whizkidder Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/19/2009 at 2:00pm
Block casting number will be on the rear of the engine on the top left of the bell housing flange -- probably covered in a 1/2 inch of grease and grime.

Displacement will be cast into the side of the block on both sides under the motor mounts.

Head casting numbers are under the valve covers about half-way back between the valve springs (at an angle).

Should take you only a few minutes to get to all three.
Ron Frost
marne1ancient @ gmail.com
910 nine two two 0563

"There is no limit to what a man can do, so long as he does not care a straw who gets credit for it. Charles Montague
Alliups View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Alliups Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/19/2009 at 2:14pm
Originally posted by bughappy bughappy wrote:

Engine just arrived on a pallet. Will get it up on an engine stand this afternoon. It is complete with power steering pump, fan, cast headers, carb & manifold etc. along with 30 plus years of grease & grime! Have a mandatory trip to Cal. first thing tomorrow so have limited time to clean up the motor today.
Where will I find numbers on the heads & block if I dont have time to clean (presure wash) before I leave for the weekend? I'd realy like to get 'em posted so I can get some more tips on what I'm going to need to do to my new "baby"!

Tom V

9 digit cast in number for heads under valve cover towards front at a 30 degree angle probably starting with 323 or 321. Heads will probably in in 502 but may be different if they are a later casting Block number should be on driver side rear of block behind head on a ledge above the bell-housing mounting area. Displacement is in big block cast numbers on either side slightly above the engine mount boss.

Steve
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345>
  Share Topic