TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > AMC V8 Engine Repair and Modifications
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

Tell me about the "401"

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 5>
Author
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bughappy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/18/2009 at 1:38am
Sounds like I'm going to be happy with just a thorough inspection & going thru by our local machine shop, balance it, have one of you AMC guys to clean up the stock (mild porting) heads a bit, mild cam, new manifold (edelbrock air gap maybe?) & carb, good headers (headman?) modify the oiling systom & maybe the crank for an auto trans (then find a good one of those). Doesn't sound any harder than the SBC 383 "stroker" I was planing! Shipping company says The engine is due here this Friday so I'll have a much better idea what I have to work with soon. In the mean time I'll keep reading all the posts I find here on the forum, there IS a lot of good info here!

Tom V

Edited by bughappy - Jun/18/2009 at 2:18am
'87 Cherokee, '64 American 330 wagon, '65 American 440H

Searchin' for parts is half the fun! Them Chevy, Ford & Mopar guys have it to damn easy!
Alliups View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Alliups Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/18/2009 at 2:42am
Originally posted by PHAT69AMX PHAT69AMX wrote:

For a ~1k mile-per-year hobby car, if an "undamaged" used engine,
just a Ball Hone, Re-Ring, Main, Rod, & Cam bearings, Timing Chain, Cam/Lifters of your choice, imho.
Shops have "their reputation" to consider, and chunk of profit in boring charges.
For a ~15k mile-per-year reliable year round daily driver, or a hotrod or race car, sure, a full rebuild.
Just an opinion.

Car Craft made 480 HP with a mild 401 build:

Seems there is another Magazine article where they made 500 HP, unable to find it just now.
Was in Hot Rod mag June 1998, American Performance folk in FLA in a Spirit.
Yet to find it on-line.  Seems there is still yet another article.
Dang, was sure it was in my favorites, but striking out.

Cool

I've got that article but will have to find it. I think it was actually in CC though. And because iit was one of the dudes from American Performance and not some CC or Hotrod tuner hero it actually made what an AMC V8 should make without going backwards like seems to be the case when either rag has a hand in a build.They are hard headed, including Glad.

Steve

CloudyB View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CloudyB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/18/2009 at 5:34am

Steve thanks for sharing that article from Car Craft. Very good reading.

70 BB Green Donohue
73hornut View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 73hornut Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/18/2009 at 8:02am
The most recent HR mag features 3 amc 401's, one with iron heads making 679hp, on pump gas.
71 Javelin
74 Gremlin
79 Spirit AMX
Rogue Valley Rumblers
Like Us on FB
https://www.facebook.com/groups/1602825606650796
firecapt321 View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted
Account deleted per user request

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote firecapt321 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/18/2009 at 8:50am
Originally posted by 73hornut 73hornut wrote:

The most recent HR mag features 3 amc 401's, one with iron heads making 679hp, on pump gas.

Yep, built by Barry Allen... great article....
TorqueyAMX View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TorqueyAMX Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/18/2009 at 9:40am
Originally posted by CloudyB CloudyB wrote:

Steve thanks for sharing that article from Car Craft. Very good reading.

That engine in Car Craft is Bill Tichenor's engine, a Marketing guy at "Holley". Bill is a cool guy. I remember teasing him at the Street Rod Nationals what carburetor he would put on it and on how nice that engine would look with an Edebrock Intake and Valve Covers!LOL
Alliups View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Alliups Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/18/2009 at 10:38am
Cloudy, Phat actually provided the article on Bill Tichnor's engine. I still have to find the older article with the 500 plus hp 401 Spirit. Keep in mind that all the hp figures bandied about are for comparison only. Depending on the dyno type used and the settings the figures are a reference and in some instances no more reflect accurate reality than Britney spears and good judgementCry. Not having built an AMC engine yet I can only comment ( despite the lack of awe for CC or HOTROD controlled AMC builds ) that from archiving stuff over the years and from experience with other engines that some of the stuff they come up with really has me scratching my head in wonder. Tichnor's engine seems to have been between him and J.T. Payton and the numbers based on the sketchy information provided don't seem at all unreasonable, agin from the dyno readout as a reference standpoint. The cam used has fairly mild specs ( though with a stout lobe separation angle ) and depending on which casting they chose I'm wondering about the valve sizes they went with. Seems like Ken Parkman's experiments with later castings (  993? 502? 090? ) indicate that if you go the big valve route there has to be alot of complementary unshrouding and bowl work to really take advantage even with later CC's that don't crowd the intake side like a 291 casting does unmodified. However, J.T. Payton is a respected name in AMC circles. I thought he was connected more to Jeeps though. Given the stated goal of hooking up fuel injection and maintaining driveability and looking at the average torque figures this engine wouldn't have been a bad base both for an Engine Masters challenge but likely kicks serious butt on the street with that broad curve. Wouldn't be a bad basis for a strong autocross ride. All in my opinion.

Steve
steeters View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote steeters Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/18/2009 at 3:09pm

Tom,

Just curious, what casting number do you have on your heads?  Post this information if you'd like and you can get some valvetrain opinions...as your options will vary a bit depending on what heads you've got.

Steve
bughappy View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bughappy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/18/2009 at 7:00pm
Steve,
I bought this "sight unseen" from my Fed-Ex guy who has, like me, been a hot rod VW guy (don't laugh my VW powered glass buggy runs low 11's, high 10's on carbs) plus, he's also been an AMC guy for years & years. Anyway the motor is due here Friday & I'll post all the numbers I can find on block & heads.
Tom

P.S. was at Summit in Reno (Sparks realy) today & bought wheels & tires for my '64 wagon. And from their "sale" table a new Edelbrock performer manifold for a bargan price! My FIRST 401 hotrod part, I'm SOOOO proud!!

Edited by bughappy - Jun/18/2009 at 7:05pm
'87 Cherokee, '64 American 330 wagon, '65 American 440H

Searchin' for parts is half the fun! Them Chevy, Ford & Mopar guys have it to damn easy!
PHAT69AMX View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PHAT69AMX Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/18/2009 at 8:00pm
Performer is a pretty nice stock replacement intake manifold, more so at a bargain price.
If planning a stall converter and some gears, the Torker works really well on an AMC, imho.
Another Car Craft article, AMC 360 build, 370 C.I. and 480 HP for the Project CC/Rambler:

Cool
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 5>
  Share Topic