TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > AMC 6 Cylinder Engine Repair and Modifications
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

upgrades for earlier 232

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
AMC Fan
AMC Fan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pdyle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: upgrades for earlier 232
    Posted: Jun/15/2009 at 4:20pm
I was wondering if I would be able to use the clifford exhaust headers and intake on the 1966 232 3.8L? Or does anyone have any suggestions for modifications?
Fluffy73 View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fluffy73 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/15/2009 at 4:55pm
The 2 barrel wakes them up a bit.

I put a 1970-style 2-barrel setup on my Gremlin and while all documents claim only 10hp is gained, it definitely gave the car a lot more low-end grunt.

If interested, I have a complete 2-barrel setup I'd be looking to get rid of. However shipping a cast iron manifold would not be cheap. But I have the intake, the phenolic spacer and the correct carb for an automatic (rebuilt).
I am genetically incapable of being Politically Correct.
1968AMC770Wagon View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 1968AMC770Wagon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/16/2009 at 10:46am
You can't run a 72' and up header on your car(the kind clifford sells) it will interfere with the starter.  I finally located a header that will work but it is either from the 60's or custom made, still havent picked it up.  I have heard a while back on this forum i think from farna (dont hold me to it) that a header from a 4.0L jeep may work.  Also clifford sells a performance intake manifold that will bolt on, then you may be able to go with a small, probably in the area of 390cfm 4bbl carb.

Zach
Zach Orcutt

billd View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Forum Administrator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote billd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/16/2009 at 11:14am
Run the intake, then go to an 81+ exhaust manifold - it's got to be better, it's more flowing.

I'd trade an 81+ exhaust manifold for a 70's style...........  still need one for the 80 Eagle, but have 2 of the later style on hand.
farna View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Moderator Lost Dealership Project

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote farna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/16/2009 at 2:50pm
I'm not positive a 4.0L exhaust would clear a left side starter, but it should. The 4.0L manifold won't fit on a 199/232/258 head. Well, it fits, but the center exhaust ports don't line up properly, at least 1/3 of the port is blocked (maybe more). 
Frank Swygert
billd View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Forum Administrator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote billd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/16/2009 at 2:58pm
Referring to 258 manifolds in my case.
I don't have a 232 block to check starter clearances, all I have are 258 blocks........
ramblin robert View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ramblin robert Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/16/2009 at 7:33pm
take a look at my posting on 'member projects' there is a pic of a VAM aluminum 2 barrel intake installed on my 232.

1966 Classic 770
1976 VAM Classic (Matador)
farna View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Moderator Lost Dealership Project

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote farna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/22/2009 at 8:42pm
You can get a 2V intake from a 1980 or later AMC or Jeep 258. It doesn't bolt to the exhaust like the earlier ones do. Consequently, you need a header or the 80+ exhaust also. The change was in the middle of the model year, but easy to spot. Early 80 models used the cast iron intake that bolted to the exhaust manifold like yours does. Any 258 after 1980 will have the newer intake, of course. I'm not 100% sure, but I think the 80+ exhaust manifold will clear a left side starter... I THINK...
Frank Swygert
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic