TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > AMC V8 Engine Repair and Modifications
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

narrowing rods

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 345
Author
AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ryder6330 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/23/2009 at 11:08pm

Just my 2 cents

But what is the goal here - are we trying to test a theory, and idea, or are we trying to make power.
If you want to try something than go for it!

I am no expert engine builder but when you include the cost of machining the rods, both ends as I assume the piston ends are different - re balancing the motor, custom grind a cam that will make the best use of the combo, well to me - if HP is the goal there are cheaper ways to do it.
A traditional 401 would seem cheaper than this custom engine.

Everyone has there preferences. Now you know mine

tomslik View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tomslik Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/24/2009 at 4:06am
umm, i asked about building a 304 cranked 343 and was "informed" that made a 360.
sounds like you be building a tall deck 343....?
correct?

67 american 290/4speed
Hurst390 View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hurst390 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/24/2009 at 7:55am
Originally posted by xspiriment xspiriment wrote:

Well i feel that my question was answered by only a couple of replies. I was wanting to know the best way to narrow a rod, i never did ask ask anything about using a long rod vs short rod but thats cool. Im using the 4.0l rods regardless and nopw know how thay should be narrowed. Thanks for all the in-puts about rods. Paul

as some said...surface grinder is the best way...
Barry has a new engine going together for me...I had bought a new set of pistons from glenn Quinn just like I'm running now...except thay are for a 6.125 long rod...Barry told me that it will make a little less power with that longer rod compared to the 6" I run now...SS guys still run 5.850 rod because they have too and Hemi tells me they make the most power...but the piston will require more lighnening to keep the bobweight down...the 6" is a good compromise between spending money on lots of lightening and good power...my 2 1/2 pennies
SC/Hurst Rambler

11.62 120

100% Street Legal
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 345
  Share Topic